Help IDing an old husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the 285CD - I believe it is impossible to distinguish a 285 and 2100 from each other from the outside?

My 285CD has automatic oiling only, my 2100CD has auto and manual oiling. I'm not sure if they were all this way but mine are. Another difference in mine, the recoil for the 285 is thinner with a spacer plate between it and the case. The one on my 2100 looks like the one in the picture.

Last edited:
1. The 285 never came with a manual oiler as far as I know.
2. The 480 has a one piece top cover.
3. That handle bar is weird but I bet its just a homebuilt repair.
4. The muffler looks like its off a 1100cd.

Its a 2100 assuming its original except for the muffler. You wont know for sure without measuring the cylinder bore.

I agree, my 2100 with the full wrap has been rigged also, I think it was a weak point on these saws. The half wraps don't seem to have the same problem. And the outlet on the muffler doesn't look right either, both the 285 and the 2100 were straight out the side.

Not enough to make up for the power difference.

Without measuring the bore and stroke, we are still just guessing, but no faller here in BC is going to drop from 100cc down to 80cc, for a few ounces of weight saved.

I believe the weight differense is about 3 pounds, and the 2100 has about 50% more power.

So that adds up......:cheers:

285CD or 2100CD

I just remembered something. The 285CD had a spacer between the starter assembly and now I remember why. When I put a 2100 jug on my 285 I had to grind the case (where a starter bolt was) to clear the skirt of the thin ring piston, it wouldn't have mattered with a standard ring piston. The 2100 didn't have the spacer because they stretched the left case just a little bit (about 4mm) to keep the bolts out of the crankcase. As far as I know that is the only way to tell the difference without opening up the motor if the tags and stickers are gone.

A side note, if you ever swap a 285 with a 2100 Jug and piston, check your case for skirt clearance before you button it up. Other than that its a great upgrade to that saw, its like giving it steroids.

Back