Help! Information about Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

458_lott

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think something stinks in Stihldom. I stopped by my dealer yesterday to make sure he ordered my MS-460. It is supposed to be here the week of January 9. He said, "I needed to talk to you anyway". "What price did the owner give you?" I told him. He said, "You wanted the full-wrap handle, correct?" I said that I did and he said that they are not available on the East Coast (here we go again) and that he had to buy the full-wrap handle and different bar cover (I don't think so) and that the parts were going to be at least $180. I went nuts. First, I told him I called Stihl Northeast at their request last month to inquire. I was told by Stihl Northeast that they were like "Burger King"; anyway you like it. They said, "Of course you can get the saw with full-wrap handle". So, I didn't believe the dealer. We called from the store and Stihl Northeast to him that he would have to get the full-wrap handle and other parts and charge me all of the other expenses. Needless to say, I said forget it. Just get me the saw with flush cut. I surely hope I am happy with this saw or someone here is going to get a brand spankin' new Stihl MS-460 cheaply. I have never had this much trouble getting the saw I wanted in my life. Back in November I tried to get a different Stihl from a different Stihl dealer and that went south also. That dealer showed me the saw and I told him what bar and chain I wanted. No problem. I told him I would be up to get the saw in two weeks. I called from my office, and told him I was on my way. He said that he didn't have the bar and chain I wanted but just go ahead and buy the saw anyway, and he would get me the bar and chain I wanted later. "After all, you should have more than one bar and chain anyway". No thanks. I didn't want the bar and chain that came with the saw. I ended up getting another Echo. After consulting with a few here, I decided to go to my old faithful dealer and try to get another Stihl. That is when I tried to get the MS-460. Well, I think it is finally coming; however I refuse to pay an extra $200 for the full-wrap handle. Am I crazy or just out of touch. I have never had this kind of trouble getting the saw I want with the specs I want in almost four decades of running chainsaws commercially and for home use. I am frustrated. Maybe I am just out of touch. This is the first saw I have ordered in several years. In the past I would just get several of each model I was getting (just the powerheads) and would always get them the way I wanted. It just seems as though I am having a very difficult time with Stihl and it is just not with one dealer.

Any suggestions, advice or input is appreciated. I am beginning to feel like I am alone with this problem. I hear so much good about Stihl dealerships. The dealership I ordered this from has been a good dealer to me for over 30 years with Homelites (before they went downhill) and he has been a Stihl dealer for years and years.

Thanks,
Michael

Doesn't sound right. Even IF you dealer was going to convert the saw in the shop, what's he doing with the standard parts? The price increment doesn't add up.

Call Stihl, get someone who will listen and make sure the story is straight, get their name and ask them to call your Dealer.

Out here we get any flavor of Stihl 460 (and any other saw) delivered overnight (o.k. it helps to be close to the regional center).

Lakeside53 said:
Doesn't sound right. Even IF you dealer was going to convert the saw in the shop, what's he doing with the standard parts? The price increment doesn't add up.

Call Stihl, get someone who will listen and make sure the story is straight, get their name and ask them to call your Dealer.

Out here we get any flavor of Stihl 460 (and any other saw) delivered overnight (o.k. it helps to be close to the regional center).

Very good advice....make sure you have names of all people involved. I would also make sure you have all prices of all items.
Rob

Both good advice. Stihl told me just what you said Lakeside. They said I could get the saw anyway I wanted. I did call Stihl Northeast, but neglected to get names. I realize that fullwrap handles are more common on the West Coast, but even here on the East Coast, you can't always cut from the same side of the tree. I have plenty of flushcut and full wrap saws. I just wanted the full wrap because I like them better and they are infinitely easier to cut with when you have to go around to the right side of the tree. I am just taken back by the news. I never had that problem with Homelite. I could get the Super XL-925s and Super Wiz 66s any way I wanted. The price I was given for the 460 was great ($700) with 24" b&c. The dealer told me yesterday that Stihl has now changed that to 25" b&c. Which is fine. The saw is supposed to be here on Monday the 9th. I am anxiously awaiting the saw. I guess I will live with it with the flush cut. Again, not that big of a deal cause I have other full-wrap saws, but it's kind of the principle since it is advertised that you can get it either way and Stihl Northeast said I could. I guess I am frustrated as this was supposed to have been resolved last month. I am extremely glad I checked witht he dealer yesterday, as I was not about to pay an extra $200 for full wrap and I am sure Stihl has a re-stocking fee if I didn't take the handle.

The 25 and 24 inch bar are exactly the same bar. Stihl has been a little weird over the years with the 24/25 issue. At least now they are "standardizing" on one "spec".

Lakeside53 said:
The 25 and 24 inch bar are exactly the same bar. Stihl has been a little weird over the years with the 24/25 issue. At least now they are "standardizing" on one "spec".

Beat me to it. That 24" bar has been screwy for a while now.

Anyway, 458 that ain't right. Even if you have to order all new parts, a good dealer would trade you for the original parts from your saw, and charge you the difference. There is no excuse for not getting you the saw you want, in the configuration you want it in. Like has been said above, call Stihl directly, get names and numbers and walk in there prepared. Alot of times dealers willl tell you stuff to cover for their laziness or something they want out of it, assuming that you don't know any better. Walk in there armed with information, and see how the guy treats you.

Jeff

Thanks fishhuntcutwood. I think I will do that. They kinda looked befuddled when you guys told me about the dual port muffler and gave me the part number. They had never ordered one before and seemed a bit confused since it doesn't show up on their parts list. I looked over their shoulder at the computer and it wasn't on their software. These guys have been Stihl dealers for quite some time but don't sell many 460s. We have alot of local loggers around here, but most, believe it or not, cut with MS-390s. They are cheap, durable and people don't care about the weight. I will be honest with you, I never, ever thought about weight until I got on this forum. I still don't really care about weight. I know people get tired of me touting my dinosaur Homelites, but I was used to cutting 10-12 hours a day with 925s, Wiz 66s, and C-72s. I just don't understand the weight thing. I am 55 years old and still cut all day with a Super Wiz 66. With bar oil, gear oil, full tank of gas, full wrap handle and 16 inch bow, I know the saw is pushing 30+ lbs. I won't know how to act with a 14.5 lb. MS-460. The MS-460 is the same displacement as the Super Wiz 66 and a bit smaller than the Super XL-925s. As I keep saying, I hope I am impressed. After all this crap trying to get the darn thing, it better be all it's cracked-up to be.

I feel your pain, Michael. My closest Stihl dealer isn't the easiest to deal with as well. I'm lucky enough to at least have several Stihl dealers near by. The funny thing is, none of them seem all that happy to be in the business. I wonder if the big box stores are putting the squeeze on the little stores? Any way, I think you'll enjoy your new 460:blob2: , oh, and just for the record my 460 wet, with a 20" bar weighs 20 lbs.

Ted

Well I picked up a new MS361 for the Conservancy recently and the dealer said I couldn't get the powerhead alone. Said it had to be an 18 or 20 inch 3/8 x .063 bar and chain. I said we don't use that bar or chain; he said, that's the way it comes. He said our use of 3/8 x .050 was not the norm. If it had been my personal saw, I'd have gone to another dealer. Go figure. Sometimes I think they forget who is the customer. And he's the reason all my saws have been bought on eBay too.

West Texas said:
Well I picked up a new MS361 for the Conservancy recently and the dealer said I couldn't get the powerhead alone. Said it had to be an 18 or 20 inch 3/8 x .063 bar and chain. I said we don't use that bar or chain; he said, that's the way it comes. He said our use of 3/8 x .050 was not the norm. If it had been my personal saw, I'd have gone to another dealer. Go figure. Sometimes I think they forget who is the customer. And he's the reason all my saws have been bought on eBay too.

It's what he orders... All the usual chain and bar options are listed and available. On the other hand, we only sell 3/8 .050, and no .063 because it simiplfies our stocking of chain. We wil however get anything the customer wants.

West texas,

That is just plain goofy. I used to cut commercially in the late 70s and 80s and I never bought saws with bars and chains. Call me old fashion, but I used to know what I wanted and knew what bars and chains or bows I wanted on my saws and would just buy the powerheads in boxes. Of course I was buying 1/2 dozen at a time. I would get my bars and chain from the now defunct Zip Penn out of Erie, PA. Always used hardnosed bars and their chain so I had no use for the saw companys' bars or chains. Now, it seems as though you are locked into combinations that the company suggests not what you want. I am confused as I thought I was the customer and I thought I knew more about what I wanted than some salesman on the floor. T'aint so, I guess.

I have run into the same thing as West Texas around here with several different Stihl dealers. They will not sell a power head without a bar and chain. One of the reasons I switched brands. On the west coast I regularly bought power head only, No problem. Whats the dif?

Obviously your dealer hasn't read Stihl's Wall Street Journal. You know.... 8000 reasons to buy a Stihl:laugh: Maybe you should read it to him! Sounds like he's not aligned with the corporate message.

Last edited:
Something seems goofy, that's for sure. As I said, I have never, ever had this much trouble getting a chainsaw in my life. Again, I'm an old guy and maybe time has passed me by, but I was always able to get whatever I wanted from Homelite when they were great saws. Heck, before that, I was using Beaird-Poulan saws and got great deals on them. They just didn't hold up so I stayed with Homelite. Everyone has raved about Stihl and I admit I have run them and they are nice, but I have had nothing but trouble trying to buy one. Both dealers I have dealt with are not rookies and have been selling saws for many, many years. The dealer I settled on, I have dealt with for years. He told me honestly that most of his sales in this part of PA are the MS-290 family (290, 310, 390). Ocassionally he sells a few 440s and 460s, but he stated that most loggers here are using the MS-390s. We don't have big timber left here in the state as the White Pine, etc. was raped out of here years ago. I don't know why I am having such a difficult time. It seems Stihl Northeast tells me one thing and then tells the dealer something else. I would love to get both of them in the room at the same time.

That's the problem with Stihl. If you have a crappy dealer you're stuck with them.

I understand Stihl not wanting to go big box or internet but at least let dealers ship saws to buyers who proactively contact them.

Last edited:
That is why I am so confused. I was hoping someone could make sense of this here for me. It is no wonder I am second-guessing my decision about the 460. I want to experience what all the "buzz" is about, but all that I have gotten so far is frustrated.

I'm a dealer in Northern VA. Lots of suburbs, lots of trees, no loggers. Several times a year I have a customer who wants a wrap-around handle saw. Stihl's E-Sales site (how we place our orders) has ALL these saws listed with ALL the approved bar & chain combos. Don't believe the BS that they "don't come that way"- whether it be a bar length, chain gauge, or handle configuration. If it is offered, all your dealer has to be willing to do is order it. My distributor in NC is exceptional- they sometimes don't stock full wrap saws, but always manage to get them. My former sales rep (TM in Stihl lingo = Territory Manager) is one of the grand poobahs at the distributor in Colorado so anything I can't get locally I can arrange to have transferred in. One Branch (Stihl term for distributor) bills another, saw is drop-shipped, customer gets saw, I get paid. Easy.
I have mixed feelings about Stihl's policy about no internet or long distance sales. I understand their reasons for this policy and strictly adhere to it. I also understand many users' frustration at not being able to circumvent a local dealer that is a pain in the a**. I have several large tree services that buy their service parts from me- these are companies that buy 25-50 powerheads a year and spend $10K for replacement parts. I provide them Stihl's Media Cat CD and other parts lookup software so they can do more of the work that is traditionally the dealer's responsibility. There is so much that is great about Stihl, I hate to see people disenchanted with a company when the local dealer is really to blame. I have to be aggressive and accomodating- there are 2 other large Stihl dealers within 3 miles of me and probably 5 more within 10-12 miles. In this market our customers have the choice where to spend their money, I think the competition makes us a better, more responsive dealer.

Jeeze Stihldoc, I wish you were my dealer. You can understand my frustration then. This dealer has been great to my family for more than 30 years, but not with Stihl. I have run Homelites most of my life and my father switched over to them in the 1970s and this guy has been our dealer. I have been using the old Homelites and new Echos but decided to get in on the hoopla about Stihl. I have run them, but never owned any. All of a sudden, I can't seem to get what I want. Stihl Northeast tells me one thing. The dealer tells me something else; then we call Stihl Northeast from the dealer and Stihl Northeast repeats to me what the dealer said. Last month they told me I could have the 460 anyway I wanted it. Now all of a sudden, I have to buy it with a flush cut and then get the fullwrap handlebar and end up paying for both. Something isn't right. My previous attempt to get a Stihl in November at another dealer went South when the dealer lured-me into the deal and then said I would have to take the saw as equipped and get the bar and chain I really wanted later. What is up with this?

PM me or send an Email to [email protected]. Let me know EXACTLY what you want. I will check with Stihl and see if it is available. I cannot and will not sell out of area, but I'll help you in any way I am allowed to do. Any dealer can do this, I'm not special. I make my living solving other peoples' problems. If I don't do this, I am unemployed. Simple relationship. I'm as opionated and moody as anyone else out there, but I think I understand how my bread is buttered.

Stihldoc, you sound like a class act. Keep it up. My dealer is great as well. When I bought my 660 last week, I asked about a powerhead price only. He gave it, no problem. I ended up getting it with bar and chain, but he didn't even flinch. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Jeff

Back