Help! Information about Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davefr said:
That's the problem with Stihl. If you have a crappy dealer you're stuck with them.

I understand Stihl not wanting to go big box or internet but at least let dealers ship saws to buyers who proactively contact them.

I agree with this thought 100%. It would be great if they had a system of what I would term "trusted resellers" for saws and parts.

No doubt the current system has worked for many years, but when you're stuck with a knucklehead for a dealer you might be left thinking that it's great that Stihl is taking care of their dealers, but what about me?

458 lott,

just FYI, wet ms460 full wrap 25/24" bar 22.5lbs
happened to check it last nite

good day 1953greg

Thanks 1953 Greg. I got the saw about 3 hours ago. The dealer called at home (I was at the office) and told my wife my saw was in. She: "What saw?" Dealer; "Saw Michael ordered!" She; "How much is that?" Dealer; "It comes to $815!" Wife calls me. "What the h*@%?" I say, "Hon, it's a mistake". (Price I meant, he, he, he) I called the dealer and said what about the discount. They say "Oh yeah". Anyway, got it for $700 with the 25" b&c. No wrap handle, but I'll live. Left the office, picked it up and brought it home. Fired it up. I'm satisfied. Not great wow factor, but I'm satisfied. Now, bigger dawgs, dual port exhaust and re-tune (well after I use it some). Anyway, I guess I am over kranking about it, but still believe that Stihl is not the easiest company to work with. Different messages from the dealer and Stihl Northeast. As I said earlier, it would be great to have them together in the same room.

Wow factor

Congratulations Michael! Glad you finally got your saw. I hear what you're saying about the not great wow factor; keep in mind it is a new saw and will tale a couple tanks to break in. Like you said, the dual port will help. Did you see the size of the pin hole they have in the muffler now? My dealer tried to sell me mine with a 25" bar as well but I made him swap for a 20". Then I went back and added a 32" with a full skip for doing the big felling cuts. So far, so good and the saw keeps getting stronger. :)

I'm guessing "no", but did you get any freebies with the saw (case, oil, extra chains). Even if you didn't, that's still a good price. I think you came out OK.
But it's too bad you have a dealer you can't trust later when it's time for service.

My local dealer, whose attitude is similar to yours, is 10 minutes away, but I bought my 460 from a dealer 2.5 hours away. However, I pass by his dealership on business trips 1 or 2 times a month, so I just wait until then if I need anything.

Thanks guys. I didn't really know what to expect as I have owned and run saws much bigger than 4.7 cu. in. so I wasn't like "blown away", but it feels as though it is a good saw. I got the 25" bar as I don't have anything that big anymore and wanted it. Just last Saturday I took down a wild cherry that was 29" in diameter. It was an accident waiting to happen as the top was broken out of it and hanging down. The tree was probably in excess of 40 feet tall prior to the top breaking. That was the tree that pinched my Echo. Wished I had the longer bar for that one. I didn't do a plunge cut as I didn't think I needed it, but probably should have as the tree twisted and almost took the Echo out. Anyway, this dealer has been good to me over the past 30+ years, but I never dealt with him with Stihl. This has been a frustrating experience especially when Bailey's new rag came today and the inside pages contain Huskys in all their glory. I am happy with the Stihl and as you guys have said, it will only get better after 20 or so tanks of gas. Thanks for all our your support here. I felt like Custer at the Little Big Horn. Stihl company men were surrounding me and I was out of ammo.

Latest posts

Back