Help me decide - new 346XP or PS5100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
You guys do realize that it is possible to remove the bar and swap chains and rims on a 346XP with outboard clutch, it just takes like 10 seconds longer than on a saw with an inboard clutch. They have clever little feature called a chain tensioner that loosens the chain so you can rmove the loop and swap the bar, kinda cool. Never been an issue for me but I am not looking for any little thing to bash a great saw wtha solid reputation. The 5100S on the other hand has numerous well documented flaws, mainly lean seizes and early deaths, almost all related to air leaks but explained with the poor dealer setup excuse that doesn't hold water. Kinda silly really, they have issued a fix for a known problem. The MS260 is a fine little vintage saw, not really in the competition and very enemic on power. The biggest gripe I can think of on the 346XP is it does occasionally tip over, easily fixed with a 357/359 dog. Haters need to wise up, run a 346XP NE and feel the 50cc love. :)

Scott

There's the first whopper so far. Doesn't the clutch have to be removed first before getting the rim off?? If you can do that in 10 seconds longer than removing the rim on a in board clutch please make a video doing it, I'd like to see that...

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Careful there fella, your internet toughguy is showing. By the way you are clearly exceding the manufacturers recommended bar length for your saw, probably voided the warranty. :monkey:

Model: PS-5100 S
Displacement 50.4 cm³ (3.1 cu. in)
Max engine speed 14,500 min-1
Power rating 2.8 kW (3.9 bhp)
Engine manufacturer DOLMAR
Fuel tank capacity 0.46 l (15.6 oz)
Oil tank capacity 0.27 l (9.0 oz)
Net weight 5.1 kg (11.2 lbs)
Standard guide bar 16 ", 18 "
Optional guide bars 20"
Chain pitch 3/8 ", .325 "
Chain gauge .050 "

Features
• Vibration damping
• Automatic half-throttle lock
• Toolless airfilter maintenance
• Adjustable automatic oil pump
• Optimum chip flow through
• Airmaster air filter system
• Lean seizes due to poor dealer setup

Scott

Well I'm sure that wasn't the only thing that voided the warranty, I'm not being a internet tough guy, I'll drive right down there to Trier's shake your hand say glad to meet you and then we can go cut wood. So what do you say... :cheers:

smitty299

smitty299

ArboristSite Member
A lot of these arguments hold no weight at all for a main firewood saw. :dizzy:

For starters, if you want the grunt of the 5100, in the block, the 346 needs some type of muffler mod. Mod the original cat as Brad says and kiss your warranty goodbye. Buy a non cat muffler and spend even more money on top of the original $80-$100 up charge of the 346 but you may be able to just put the cat muffler back on and still have a warranty.....You know, what they don't know won't hurt 'em kind of deal....lol

As for as inboard clutch versus outboard clutch....Inboard all the way.....What happens if homeowner pinches his bar trying to fell a tree with an outboard clutch? Get out Wildthing try to cut saw and tree free :laugh: tree comes down smashes $500 Husky. :cry:

With Dolmar inboard clutch.....Remove clutch cover, then remove saw from bar, get $400 - 5100 out of harms way :clap:.....Go kill yourself with Wildthing to save $40.00 bar and chain.....Son inherits perfectly working 5100.

As far as filters go....346 has better filtration but 5100 isn't that bad.....I have cut all day with a 5100 and never needed to clean or replace the filter till the work was done......If that is a necessity for you....Try sharpening your chain! :givebeer:
anyone that thinks dolmars filtration is fine has there head in the sand if your cutting in dirty conditions your gonna be washing that filter EVERY DAY and i'm quite skilled in the use of a file. i wish dolmar would come out with a hd filter kit for the 5100

woodshed

woodshed

ArboristSite Guru
Well I'm sure that wasn't the only thing that voided the warranty, I'm not being a internet tough guy, I'll drive right down there to Trier's shake your hand say glad to meet you and then we can go cut wood. So what do you say... :cheers:

I say that if your 5100S is ported, which I believe it is, it will be no contest. My 346XP NE is muffler modded and running 3/8 chain. I bow down to your apples to oranges challange. :monkey: I also say that the outboard clutch is not nearly as big a deal as the Stihlheads would want you to believe. The clutch comes off with minimal pressure and a blunt tipped chisel/screwdriver, and yes that can be done in around 10 seconds, swapping bars and chains in much less. I guess you guys don't know how to adjust the chain tensioner because that's all it takes to do these operations on a 346XP. As I said before, kinda silly really. Also, I'm all for help cutting wood, got several standing dead hard maples to drop this weekend, the more the merrier!

Scott

Last edited:
gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
I say that if your 5100S is ported, which I believe it is, it will be no contest. My 346XP NE is muffler modded and running 3/8 chain. I bow down to your apples to oranges challange. :monkey: I also say that the outboard clutch is not nearly as big a deal as the Stihlheads would want you to believe. The clutch comes off with minimal pressure and a blunt tipped chisel/screwdriver, and yes that can be done in around 10 seconds, swapping bars and chains in much less. I guess you guys don't know how to adjust the chain tensioner because that's all it takes to do these operations on a 346XP. As I said before, kinda silly really. Also, I'm all for help cutting wood, got several standing dead hard maples to drop this weekend, the more the merrier!

Scott

Well Okay Scotty, but so do you want to run your 372 against it? I'll promise I'll leave the 7900 at home!:cheers:

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ

Scott

VIDEO PLEASE, it shouldn't take you 10 seconds................

woodshed

woodshed

ArboristSite Guru
anyone that thinks dolmars filtration is fine has there head in the sand if your cutting in dirty conditions your gonna be washing that filter EVERY DAY and i'm quite skilled in the use of a file. i wish dolmar would come out with a hd filter kit for the 5100

You probably wont ever see an upgraded air filter setup for the 5100S because so few live long enough to require an air filter cleaning, remember, lean seize due to poor dealer setup... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Scott

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sure, 372XP will run a 28" bar per spec, lets say both saws buried in 28" wood. Game? :clap:

Scott

Sure, you bet I will. I don't think I can find a small mount 28" though? Might just have to run 20" or would you rather just run against the 7900 with the bars buried with 36":cheers: It up to you though what ever you want to do:cheers:

woodshed

woodshed

ArboristSite Guru
Sure, you bet I will. I don't think I can find a small mount 28" though? Might just have to run 20" or would you rather just run against the 7900 with the bars buried with 36":cheers: It up to you though what ever you want to do:cheers:

It's all good, now lemme see if I can find my freshly sharpened race chain... cough cough...I mean, well you know... :cheers:

Just to clarify, you want to either run my stock 346Xp against your ported 5100S or my stock 71cc 372XP against your ported 79cc 7900?

Scott

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's all good, now lemme see if I can find my freshly sharpened race chain... cough cough...I mean, well you know... :cheers:

I'll even sweeten the deal... I won't even bring a race chain, I'll use the same as you. But seriously if you ever want to have a 3-4 guy GTG I don't live that far from ya:cheers:

cuttinscott

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
You guys do realize that it is possible to remove the bar and swap chains and rims on a 346XP with outboard clutch, it just takes like 10 seconds longer than on a saw with an inboard clutch. They have clever little feature called a chain tensioner that loosens the chain so you can rmove the loop and swap the bar, kinda cool. Never been an issue for me but I am not looking for any little thing to bash a great saw wtha solid reputation. The 5100S on the other hand has numerous well documented flaws, mainly lean seizes and early deaths, almost all related to air leaks but explained with the poor dealer setup excuse that doesn't hold water. Kinda silly really, they have issued a fix for a known problem. The MS260 is a fine little vintage saw, not really in the competition and very enemic on power. The biggest gripe I can think of on the 346XP is it does occasionally tip over, easily fixed with a 357/359 dog. Haters need to wise up, run a 346XP NE and feel the 50cc love. :)

Scott

You probably wont ever see an upgraded air filter setup for the 5100S because so few live long enough to require an air filter cleaning, remember, lean seize due to poor dealer setup... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Scott

Hey WOODSHED better go back to your woodshed and play with your little husky....

Tommy and I are waiting on that 10 second Rim change on your little husky.....

There is a new air filter coming for the PS5100 class saws and guess what it is only the cost of a filter no extra charges????? How could that be??

Now back to bumpin twigs with that little husky let the PS5100's cut the real firewood!!

Scott

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just to clarify, you want to either run my stock 346Xp against your ported 5100S or my stock 71cc 372XP against your ported 79cc 7900?

Scott

You must have edited that! I didn't see this in your first post. So to recap I will run my 5100 against your 372 since you don't want to run your 346. But if you would like to run big bars I will run my 7900 against anything you want to, it doesn't have to be a 372:cheers:

J.Gordon

J.Gordon

ArboristSite Operative

Scott

I have seen too many garage dolmar dealers that think they can sell an virtually unknown Dolmar (at least in my area) and think they can compete with Stihl and Husky. When you call most of them, they only stock 510's and smaller. If you ask them about a 5100 or 7900 they have the deer in the head lights look.

I do think the OP is making the right decision getting the 346, because odds are his Dolmar dealer could be one of those guy's.

I like that my Dolmar dealer can tune and is knowledgeable about saws.
Its a shame some dealers let saws leave there shop without doing what they should do in the first place. Take care of the customer!

As far as the outboard clutch, it's just personal preference for me, not a deal breaker but I like the inboards way better myself.

cuttinscott

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just had a cust in COMPLAINING about that cheesy CHAIN BRAKE design on the 50cc husky's and was sick and tired of that puny clutch not having BALLZ enough to stay engaged in a cut!!

I reset his brake what pain in the azz design!!!!

Scott

Latest posts