Help with rope choice ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im a homeowner that takes some trees down once in awhile and I'm in need of rope that I can use to tie to a tree
that I can hook to the tractor and help guide a tree that may be leaning in a way that might not be ideal.
The problem is that I don't have any idea what to buy - size / strength / brand.
I have seen that Samson bull rope is recommended but I have zero experience with choosing a good rope.
Here is what I have been reading but you never know what to believe anymore.
https://www.bestbloombooster.com/best-rope-for-pulling-trees/

Could I please get some input so I dont waste money on something I dont need or is not right for the job ?
Thanks

For a pull rope only, I would go with something like Samson Tree-Master. 5/8".

Even knotted that rope will lift your pickup by itself. Which means, straight line pull you won't be able to break it with a pick up just pulling. 3:1 mech advantage you could, but you can move some pretty significant trees with some significant lean.

I don't like 3 strand ropes for hanging loads as they like to spin while suspended, but for pull ropes, 3 strand are plenty good and economical at < $1/ft of rope for almost 13k lbs of minimum breaking strength.

If you want a double braid rope, Stable Braid is great and what I use for 90% of my rigging, I've also had Polydyne and Nystron, both also great. You won't go wrong with a brand name double braid bull rope. I don't think it's necessary for only pulling tree's over though. Just my opinion.

For a pull rope only, I would go with something like Samson Tree-Master. 5/8".

Even knotted that rope will lift your pickup by itself. Which means, straight line pull you won't be able to break it with a pick up just pulling. 3:1 mech advantage you could, but you can move some pretty significant trees with some significant lean.

I don't like 3 strand ropes for hanging loads as they like to spin while suspended, but for pull ropes, 3 strand are plenty good and economical at < $1/ft of rope for almost 13k lbs of minimum breaking strength.

If you want a double braid rope, Stable Braid is great and what I use for 90% of my rigging, I've also had Polydyne and Nystron, both also great. You won't go wrong with a brand name double braid bull rope. I don't think it's necessary for only pulling tree's over though. Just my opinion.

Im looking for that on amazon as I dont know where else to buy rope. I cant find Samson Tree-Master rope there.
Where is the best place to get it ? I get free shipping on amazon that's why im looking there.

Im looking for that on amazon as I dont know where else to buy rope. I cant find Samson Tree-Master rope there.
Where is the best place to get it ? I get free shipping on amazon that's why im looking there.
Just me, but I wouldn't buy rope from Amazon. Especially rope I depend on for potentially life and or property threatening situations.

I buy my stuff at Wesspur.

Rope placement in the tree is important. Are you able to tie the rope higher in the tree? Or will it be closer to the bottom?
A 1/2" rope placed up in the tree can be safer than a 5/8" or 3/4" rope tied closer to the ground.
Since your pulling with a tractor, buying a heavier rope won't hurt anything except your budget.

Is this an acceptable choice for all around use ?

5/8” Tenex TEC​

5/8” by the Foot
$1.01TN58B
5/8” x 600’ Reel
$606.00TN5860
16mm (5/8”) • 12-strand • 18,800 lb ABS • 1.4% elongation at 10% ABS • 14.8 lb per 100' • spliceable.

In 5/8” diameter, Tenex has a very respectable breaking strength and makes excellent tree rigging slings. Available by the foot or in 600’ reel.

Rope placement in the tree is important. Are you able to tie the rope higher in the tree? Or will it be closer to the bottom?
A 1/2" rope placed up in the tree can be safer than a 5/8" or 3/4" rope tied closer to the ground.
Since your pulling with a tractor, buying a heavier rope won't hurt anything except your budget.
Budget is not in the picture when the other option is death or disabled.
I would be throwing a string up as high as I could in the tree and then pulling in the rope to get the height advantage for steering.
Im finding out right now how much my old ass does NOT know about rope.

I would be throwing a string up as high as I could in the tree and then pulling in the rope to get the height advantage for steering.

I don't know if that tenex is good for tying knots in.
I'd look up samson 'stable braid' 5/8".
Better for knots.
The Bowline knot is your friend if you want to untie it.

Is this an acceptable choice for all around use ?

5/8” Tenex TEC​

5/8” by the Foot
$1.01TN58B
5/8” x 600’ Reel
$606.00TN5860
16mm (5/8”) • 12-strand • 18,800 lb ABS • 1.4% elongation at 10% ABS • 14.8 lb per 100' • spliceable.

In 5/8” diameter, Tenex has a very respectable breaking strength and makes excellent tree rigging slings. Available by the foot or in 600’ reel.
Terrible for knots. I would not use tenex for pull ropes. Slings, loopies, and other spliced items, is what Tenex is great for.

If you're good with spending the money, the Stable Braid 5/8" is fantastic. I only suggested the 3 strand type rope for a cost savings only. If that's not a concern, get you the Stable Braid and you will be happy.

I don't know if that tenex is good for tying knots in.
I'd look up samson 'stable braid' 5/8".
Better for knots.
The Bowline knot is your friend if you want to untie it.

Bowline, running bowline, and bowline on a bight are 3 knots you absolutely need to know how to tie when pulling trees over.

Another thing, if you're going to be pulling a lot of trees, look into getting a 5/8" (or whatever size rope you get) block/pulley and a sling for that block so you can re-direct efficiently. I find myself rarely straight line pulling on trees, probably 80% of the time I'm using a block on another tree to redirect because I simply can't get the pulling device (truck/skid steer/tractor/etc) in a good enough position.

Just a guy who owns some saws. I do not look to cut things down except when they are in the way of trails. I think I bought some 5/8" blue colored double braid bull rope from Baileysonline (forum sponsor) but I could not find a receipt. Last snag I pulled out using the bull rope tied to my 4,000 pound tractor. It untied easily. https://www.baileysonline.com/arborist-tree-care/arborist-rope/rigging-rope.html

And if you get some stable braid by sampson from a legit operation such as Wesspur or other arborist supply, you can usually get an eye splice at one or both ends which is stronger than a knot. Also no worries on getting it untied. It sounds like jimrb got his knots untied but many knots tightened with a tractor have not (ha ha ) come untied.

I can't imagine amazon is cheaper than Wesspur and if they are you call Wesspur on the telephone and talk to a person in Bellingham, WA and they give you the better price, to my understanding.

Samson three strand 5/8" ("tree-master") would be plenty for yankin trees over with a tractor, and 3 strand is easy to splice in the field.

And if you get some stable braid by sampson from a legit operation such as Wesspur or other arborist supply, you can usually get an eye splice at one or both ends which is stronger than a knot. Also no worries on getting it untied. It sounds like jimrb got his knots untied but many knots tightened with a tractor have not (ha ha ) come untied.

I can't imagine amazon is cheaper than Wesspur and if they are you call Wesspur on the telephone and talk to a person in Bellingham, WA and they give you the better price, to my understanding.

Samson three strand 5/8" ("tree-master") would be plenty for yankin trees over with a tractor, and 3 strand is easy to splice in the field.
Surprisingly Amazon IS cheaper than Wesspur, but probably because Samson themselves are selling on Amazon. So no third party resale price mark up. Wesspur is cheaper than baileys for the same 150' of Stable Braid 5/8" though.

I don't like spliced loops on pulling ropes personally(or any rigging rope for that matter). Pulling 150-200' of rope through a spliced eye twice per tree isn't my idea of fun. You could use a clevis but that's extra equipment and heft I don't want to pull up the tree. On the other end of the rope 99 times out of 100 I'm not pulling with the very end of the rope, so I'm almost always tying a bowline on a bight to hook to the pulling device.

My worst case scenario tree was a very large hard maple pulled over by the neighbors 300hp Case tractor, and when I told him to tighten up on it, he gave her quite a bit more than I needed. It was piano wire tight lol and I told him to back off. Both the running bowline and the bowline on a bight I had in that rope came apart by hand without issue. Stable braid has been fantastic for knots coming undone.

Welcome to A.S.!

Check out TreeStuff.com, which is one of the site sponsors:
https://www.treestuff.com/rope/ (you want 'rigging ropes' - but good to look at all the different types).

They have a variety of ropes (and lots of other interesting stuff), in different price ranges, and free shipping on orders over $100 (which your order will meet). There is also detailed information on ropes that you can read and compare.

Philbert

I called wesspur and asked them if they would price match amazons price of $175 for 150' of 5/8 stable braid and they said NO. Ok, I tried...
Amazon / Samson is not the seller on amazon. Its Aardvark Trading whoever they are. Im shocked that Wesspur had zero desire to discuss anything other than what was on their website.
Its all good. I dont have to buy from them.
I want to thank everyone thats helped steer me in the right direction.
Im going to buy 150' of 5/8 Samson stable braid from the least expensive place.

I called wesspur and asked them if they would price match amazons price of $175 for 150' of 5/8 stable braid and they said NO. Ok, I tried...
Amazon / Samson is not the seller on amazon. Its Aardvark Trading whoever they are. Im shocked that Wesspur had zero desire to discuss anything other than what was on their website.
Its all good. I dont have to buy from them.
I want to thank everyone thats helped steer me in the right direction.
Im going to buy 150' of 5/8 Samson stable braid from the least expensive place.
I looked again, I saw the 'brand' and thought it was the seller.

You will enjoy that rope, for sure. Good choice.

Latest posts

Back