Helped a 90 year old out today...Pics...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorlivin247

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked it I could help him out by dropping a fairly large Ash tree at his dads farm...His dad is 90 and wanted to do it himself but just didn't have the saw to get it done...So I grabbed the 064 and met them at his farm...

The Ash's natural lean was straight towards a Black Locust that he didn't want removed, so we had to drop it about 60° to its natural lean...

The major issue was the top weight and one limb the was going to hang or break off as the tree went over...All went well and the hinge held long enough to get the problem limb past the Locust...(Still hit, but didn't hang...

Here are some of the pictures...

The tree..

attachment.php

Dropping the power lines...:D...Friend is a electrician....

attachment.php

The face cut...Very open to get it to hold as long as possible...

attachment.php

The back cut...

attachment.php

The stump...You can see which way it wanted to go when it closed...

attachment.php

Bucked EXACTLY to 20" measured with a stick (piece of quarter round) that he must of had for longer than I have been alive...LOL...And no more than he could cut with his old 302 echo...

attachment.php

Thanks guys....

As for mill log or firewood..He mentioned leaving the butt end for a mill log, but Kevin said buck it up so he didn't have to mess with it...

It will make great firewood and normally I would have had to have atleast one load for even helping, but Frank is old school and that it his wood...

He tried to give me $50, but I would not take it because he lets us run our Jeeps in his woods, which many people won't allow anymore...And Kevin has helped me a ton on electrical work I have need done...

Nice Job Sean.

Looks like you missed out on the crappy blowing cold rain we had up near the big pond all day today...

Not Really Mark...Kind of cold and rainy all day, but the only day it worked out to get it done...

Franks other son is coming in to town and they want to start getting a new fence put up...

With 2 boys playing t-ball and baseball, not much extra time in a week...:(

Great work. i dropped a few dead basswood trees at my fathers earlier in the week i should have taken the time to snap a few pics. i love cutting ash. cuts easy splits easy and makes great firewood

Nice work. It's nice to see that there are still younger guys out there that see the value in helping others out. I'm sure your efforts will be repaid in many ways other than money in the years to come.
Great pictures. excellent post. rep sent

Franks old echo 302s...Kevin talked him into letting me bring it home and tune up up for him...Runs but not well, probably just needs a little carb work, but tomorrow will tell...

Got to get it back to him ASAP...That tree needs cleaned up..LOL

Hope I can still get around as good as him when I am that age...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice work. Alway's a good feeling helping out someone who needs it and deserves at that age.Hope I make it to that stage in life.

Back