Here's a good one for you. What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have penned your response for you, Brad. Simply cut and paste it for your convenience:

Hello Buyer. I Have Receive The Item As(Stihl 028 Wood Boss Chainsaw Super Nice Clean). You Were Right It Is Many Oily And Gassy. You Must Do The Following For Refund Is Needed. Since I Sold The Saw To You, I Have Become A Nigerian Civil Servant. I Now Have Access To A State Fund Nigerian That Has Escrow Of $6,349,345,766 Nigerian Noodle Duckets - Roughly Worth $40,000 USD, Give Or Take. In Order For Me To Refund You Money I Must Transfer The Entire Amount Into A Account American. Transfer Fee Is A Mere $900. I Can Not Pay Directly As I Am A State Employee With Far Too Many Benefits Including Collective Bargaining Rights And Mediation So Thick You Could Not Fire Me Even If I Shot You In The Back While Robbing You On Camera At Work. Where Was I? Oh Yeah - I Will Provide An Account You Can Transfer The Funds Of $900 To And Then I Will Transfer The $900 Back To You With An Additional $40,000 USD For You Trouble Plus You Original Payment, Which I Must Admit Was Gouging You Some So I Will Understand If You Do Not Return Much Of The Balance. I Trust You Because You Act So Trustingful. It Is The Guilt That Make Me Money You Up, Dawg. Whats Up Dawg? Does This Sounding Good To You? I Thought It Would. Please Act In Most Rapidly.

My Deepest Regardings,

Efco H.L. McHuspoulanistihlechomar

AS others have pointed out, look at the wording of the message--classic scam. My feeling is once they realize that they won't con you into a refund they'll go away.

Report everything to eBay, JIC. It's actually good that they contacted through eBay messaging. If they start emailing you directly, reply through eBay with their direct EM attached, and insist that communications go through eBay.

:rock:
I have penned your response for you, Brad. Simply cut and paste it for your convenience:

Hello Buyer. I Have Receive The Item As(Stihl 028 Wood Boss Chainsaw Super Nice Clean). You Were Right It Is Many Oily And Gassy. You Must Do The Following For Refund Is Needed. Since I Sold The Saw To You, I Have Become A Nigerian Civil Servant. I Now Have Access To A State Fund Nigerian That Has Escrow Of $6,349,345,766 Nigerian Noodle Duckets - Roughly Worth $40,000 USD, Give Or Take. In Order For Me To Refund You Money I Must Transfer The Entire Amount Into A Account American. Transfer Fee Is A Mere $900. I Can Not Pay Directly As I Am A State Employee With Far Too Many Benefits Including Collective Bargaining Rights And Mediation So Thick You Could Not Fire Me Even If I Shot You In The Back While Robbing You On Camera At Work. Where Was I? Oh Yeah - I Will Provide An Account You Can Transfer The Funds Of $900 To And Then I Will Transfer The $900 Back To You With An Additional $40,000 USD For You Trouble Plus You Original Payment, Which I Must Admit Was Gouging You Some So I Will Understand If You Do Not Return Much Of The Balance. I Trust You Because You Act So Trustingful. It Is The Guilt That Make Me Money You Up, Dawg. Whats Up Dawg? Does This Sounding Good To You? I Thought It Would. Please Act In Most Rapidly.

My Deepest Regardings,

Awesome!:clap:

Rep fro you Dawg!:rock:

Yes, the same day the auction ended.

You have paid the agreed-upon amount for the saw, someone else has the saw and is trying to scam you for a refund; sale complete. Don't ever sell to that buyer again. Done.

My Deepest Regardings,

That was awesome:clap:

The very first thing I tried to sell on Craigslist was for a VW sandrail. I got a reply from someone in Nigeria that said he owned a used car lot and needed the vehicle badly. He offered me a check for $100,000 and wanted it shipped to him immediately. I was supposed to cash the check and send him the vehicle and $80,000. I only wanted around $2k for it. I sold it locally instead.

I am currently selling a PM redhead woodboss on ebay now and this is an email I just got through ebay. The bidder is from another country but claims he has a Tennesse address?????????

"I bid to your two man saw,i ahve adress i Teenesse."
erik

I sure hope he does not win it as it seem fishy to me although his feedback is 38 and has bought a carb kit recently and a lot of tractor hat pins. Any reply with broken English seems suspect.

There are quite a few watchers on the auction so I am going hold out a little longer and see what happens before I wack his bid.

Hi Brad, as others have said this is definitely a scam. This buyer most likely opened the Ebay account with intent to conduct these kinds of scams from the beginning, as evident from three quick small dollar purchases they made in order to get some positive feedback built up. The buyer already has your saw, you have proof that that. UPS doesn't have the saw and UPS has not sent it on its way back to you. The transaction is complete and you should consider it that way. The buyer is not going to open a Paypal dispute and even if they did you would win, you have the proof. The only thing that could happen is they will leave you negative feedback on Ebay, but there may be some kind of resolution Ebay could provide you in this situation.

I am currently selling a PM redhead woodboss on ebay now and this is an email I just got through ebay. The bidder is from another country but claims he has a Tennesse address?????????

erik

I sure hope he does not win it as it seem fishy to me although his feedback is 38 and has bought a carb kit recently and a lot of tractor hat pins. Any reply with broken English seems suspect.

And to think all this time I thought that's the way they talked in Tenner........

erik

My mom lost a bundle to one of the Nigerian scams. I always watch out for the bad grammer etc. The only thing about your contact is his broken English kinda sounds like a Scandanavian accent, and those guys can be real saw guys. I recently sold some old car mags on ebay for $5. Then I saw a screen that said congrats on your first international sale. What, I had checked the US sales only box? Turned out the mags went to Sweden, cost him $50 in shipping. Good sale. Can you see where his email came from? So far I've had only good luck on ebay, but I'm paranoid on every sale, Joe.

My mom lost a bundle to one of the Nigerian scams. I always watch out for the bad grammer etc. The only thing about your contact is his broken English kinda sounds like a Scandanavian accent, and those guys can be real saw guys. I recently sold some old car mags on ebay for $5. Then I saw a screen that said congrats on your first international sale. What, I had checked the US sales only box? Turned out the mags went to Sweden, cost him $50 in shipping. Good sale. Can you see where his email came from? So far I've had only good luck on ebay, but I'm paranoid on every sale, Joe.

I sent the guy an email today stating that I will only ship to a verified address through Paypal so if the address does not match I will not complete the sale. Here is his response. I am going to cancel his bid. It does not look right to me at all.

"Hello i have another adress in us ,than
My pay pal account.i srnd
Sendt fra right adress if i win .i will help to get this ok erik
Hope you will help me ..
Tanks"

Sorry Charlie no go on this. I have sold quite a few things on ebay and never has this happened and after reading Brad's concerns I am shutting this guy down.

He emails me through ebay so I do not know where his email is coming from.

If bad grammAr is the way you tell who's a scammer then we have a ton of scammers right here on AS.

If bad grammAr is the way you tell who's a scammer then we have a ton of scammers right here on AS.

LMAO! No sheit, right!

This is a classic scam I'm sure. Did you ask him for tracking numbers? :msp_biggrin:

I figured this thread is a good place to post some info on an email I got today. It was a spoof phishing email supposedly from paypal. It told me my account had been locked due to a unauthorized CC purchase. They needed my info to correct the problem before my account was completely restricted.

I knew right away it was a spoof so I looked it over carefully and seen that the link they had was "paypall.com" with two L's. I sent it to paypal to take care of it.

I just wanted to add that for anyone else who may have gotten this email.

Back