hey fallers, 45 or sideslope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well hell, kid...maybe you should go to work in the woods. Be a faller and all that. With your amazing store of hard earned knowledge, your humble attitude, and your willingness to take criticism you'd be everybody's favorite newbie. For a day or so anyway...until they got through whacking you around and making fun of you and you either had to shape up or draw your time.

For what it's worth to you, and I don't expect it to be worth much, if somebody disagrees with you you might be wrong. If the whole damn crew disagrees with you are wrong. Keep your ears open a little more and hold back on the smart-mouth attitude...you'll go farther. But I bet you hear that same advice a lot.

:laugh::laugh: :clap: :clap:

attachment.php

alright sorry to everyone i offended. and your all right about the experience. except for metals, dont care if i offended you.

Last edited:
alright sorry to everyone i offended. and your all right about the experience. except for metals, dont care if i offended you.

See....nothing to it. Stick around, learn some things. And Metals is one of our best people here. You can learn from him, too, so don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You don't have to like somebody to learn from them.

Well well. That was nice.

So, here's the deal. We're loggers. Appalachian, usually economically mature timber, steep ground. We do some roadless harvesting, some nearly roadless harvesting. We make or open and improve serious roads where we have them, but they are very few and far between. We definately stay below 10%, probably below 6%, of our tracts get any significant disturbance (i.e. roads)

It can be easily argued that if we got rid of the humans, mother nature can and would take care of herself. On a more realistic path, we mimic natural processes and manipulate the time frame of these processes to our economic advantage. We apply sound silviculture to our harvesting, so we can sleep at night. It costs my boss income to do this. But, we are regional leaders in quality. Thats why I work for him, we do things right, and at a scale where we can afford to do this, rather than the typical idyllic po-dunk loggers, horse loggers,and hobby loggers who espuse there super selective harvesting as env. sensitive, who espouse retention of the canopy when anyone knows that its high-grading, a real dirty word.

Helicopters burn 500 gallons PER HOUR. We use them too. We cut, they log it for us. But its not for environmental reasons, its cause of access, like slowP said. Arguable, but I'd say skylining is the most environmentally sensitive harvesting. 6 gal. fuel per hour.

We log. We do it because we love the work, but we couldn't do it without product demand. Do-nothing is an option, but its an unrealistic alternative and a pointless arguement. We do it in a manner that best fulfills environmental, silvicultural, and societal demands. What else can we do?

Want to argue about the term economically mature, that its a stupid term, a stupid concept? See, thats where you jump when not necesssary. There was no mention of pros or cons, its is term, with a definition, and a reality. Discussions are useful, but arguing non-issues is just annoying.

I'm 33, a pro timberfaller, got some other things on my resume, and I like to drink beer and jug wine, and coffee.

Scooting the butt ends down to the dozer on the road worked via the dumped stem. Its a team effort out there. Increase production and decrease the labor. Hooray!

Well well. That was nice.

So, here's the deal. We're loggers. Appalachian, usually economically mature timber, steep ground. We do some roadless harvesting, some nearly roadless harvesting. We make or open and improve serious roads where we have them, but they are very few and far between. We definately stay below 10%, probably below 6%, of our tracts get any significant disturbance (i.e. roads)

It can be easily argued that if we got rid of the humans, mother nature can and would take care of herself. On a more realistic path, we mimic natural processes and manipulate the time frame of these processes to our economic advantage. We apply sound silviculture to our harvesting, so we can sleep at night. It costs my boss income to do this. But, we are regional leaders in quality. Thats why I work for him, we do things right, and at a scale where we can afford to do this, rather than the typical idyllic po-dunk loggers, horse loggers,and hobby loggers who espuse there super selective harvesting as env. sensitive, who espouse retention of the canopy when anyone knows that its high-grading, a real dirty word.

Helicopters burn 500 gallons PER HOUR. We use them too. We cut, they log it for us. But its not for environmental reasons, its cause of access, like slowP said. Arguable, but I'd say skylining is the most environmentally sensitive harvesting. 6 gal. fuel per hour.

We log. We do it because we love the work, but we couldn't do it without product demand. Do-nothing is an option, but its an unrealistic alternative and a pointless arguement. We do it in a manner that best fulfills environmental, silvicultural, and societal demands. What else can we do?

Want to argue about the term economically mature, that its a stupid term, a stupid concept? See, thats where you jump when not necesssary. There was no mention of pros or cons, its is term, with a definition, and a reality. Discussions are useful, but arguing non-issues is just annoying.

I'm 33, a pro timberfaller, got some other things on my resume, and I like to drink beer and jug wine, and coffee.

Scooting the butt ends down to the dozer on the road worked via the dumped stem. Its a team effort out there. Increase production and decrease the labor. Hooray!

your right and i went about trying to say what i wanted to say in an immature and arrogent way, when in reality i should have been asking you questions on specifics to learn. my apologys to you.

Its ok. Important to challenge the status quo. Been there. many ways to push the boundaries, sometimes subtlety works charmingly. As has been said though, most of us that like the field enough to talk shop on here are pretty committed, thoughtful, and well informed. Be safe, and save the world, one step at a time.:cheers:

Its ok. Important to challenge the status quo. Been there. many ways to push the boundaries, sometimes subtlety works charmingly. As has been said though, most of us that like the field enough to talk shop on here are pretty committed, thoughtful, and well informed. Be safe, and save the world, one step at a time.:cheers:

thanks, i started to think about how pissed i would be if i had been doing that for 15-20 years and had some 20 yo try tellin me how things work. i will be more respectfull from now on.

thanks, i started to think about how pissed i would be if i had been doing that for 15-20 years and had some 20 yo try tellin me how things work. i will be more respectfull from now on.

Thats cool, but its not the age element, its the ilinformed element.

Latest posts

Back