hey fallers, 45 or sideslope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why yes, it is. Once in a while there is one or two that are too long for the yarder or am I a Yardette, to carry over so I must then buck it. Do you want me to bring the Barbie Saw or Twinkle? :)

You can bring either one, if can You bring some rain or a waiver with You too, if not I have a three and five year old daughter so Barbie I know Twinkle I don't, bring barbie! I am not politically correct but I would say a Yardette are You a swing yardette or tower yardette?:)

:confused:I think I am like the SJ 4 yarder. Runs for a bit, then breaks down. Uses gas for fuel. It is short. Hmmm. A new topic. If you were a yarder, what would you be? :popcorn:

Heck You may just be onto a new topic, could post it, probably get some entertaining responses. I''ll have to think about if I were a yarder:rolleyes:

Well, on a different note... Today I was actually cutting for a dozer. Rare for us, we subbed a couple guys to pull some wood on a few pieces on this unit.

Anyhow, to keep the fellow from having to pull to much rope, or navigate the 50% slope as he's prone to do to keep from pulling rope, I was trying to get trees butt end down to him as best as possible. He was better off getting the butt cause he was setting out for a grapple skidder, a relentless grapple skidder.

Anyhow, so I was up there on the slope. Dumping them down hill was no good because hed have to hook from the tops ( and I have to go dpwn there to top them). I tried the sloped face and back, including trimming off the downhill edge of the hinge so she'd let go. Couldn't get her ass more than a few feet downhill from the stump. Tell you what worked like a dandy. Dump a tree out in front of you from uphill straight down hill. Now sideslope the next 20 runnin a near 45 across the bottomButt shoots down the hill lilke a champ. Hook and go. Everyones happy- top stays uphill form the butt, closer for me to top, hooker can pull dozer right there next to butt, and MR. grapple gets stems form butt. Wood outa there!

Thats a capital MR. grapple, atleast on my crew, he'sfeeding off three sides.

Last edited:
Well, on a different note... Today I was actually cutting for a dozer. Rare for us, we subbed a couple guys to pull some wood on a few pieces on this unit.

Anyhow, to keep the fellow from having to pull to much rope, or navigate the 50% slope as he's prone to do to keep from pulling rope, I was trying to get trees butt end down to him as best as possible. He was better off getting the butt cause he was setting out for a grapple skidder, a relentless grapple skidder.

Anyhow, so I was up there on the slope. Dumping them down hill was no good because hed have to hook from the tops ( and I have to go dpwn there to top them). I tried the sloped face and back, including trimming off the downhill edge of the hinge so she'd let go. Couldn't get her ass more than a few feet downhill from the stump. Tell you what worked like a dandy. Dump a tree out in front of you from uphill straight down hill. Now sideslope the next 20 runnin a near 45 across the bottomButt shoots down the hill lilke a champ. Hook and go. Everyones happy- top stays uphill form the butt, closer for me to top, hooker can pull dozer right there next to butt, and MR. grapple gets stems form butt. Wood outa there!

Thats a capital MR. grapple, atleast on my crew, he'sfeeding off three sides.

curious,this is still a clearcut unit you are felling?

It was a new little opening on a north facing slope, theres a big cove between the two areas. But yes, this would be a clearcut scenario.

I had about 8 full days falling of selective cutting since that first clearcut, which was bigger, and sweet.
Its kind of a messed up unit to work- a ridge with the 2 coves on either side down to the bottoms. But theres roads you cant block up the hollers down at the bottom, SMZs down there, gas wells, and some loggers were given access in there and poked around a few years ago. And there's a powerline bisecting the area at an oblique angle. And a face of the ridge at the end over a state highway, with a gas line running along near the bottom of it. With some monster timber on it.

It was a new little opening on a north facing slope, theres a big cove between the two areas. But yes, this would be a clearcut scenario.

I had about 8 full days falling of selective cutting since that first clearcut, which was bigger, and sweet.
Its kind of a messed up unit to work- a ridge with the 2 coves on either side down to the bottoms. But theres roads you cant block up the hollers down at the bottom, SMZs down there, gas wells, and some loggers were given access in there and poked around a few years ago. And there's a powerline bisecting the area at an oblique angle. And a face of the ridge at the end over a state highway, with a gas line running along near the bottom of it. With some monster timber on it.

sounds like a busy area you are working,i would imagine that dozer op. being a bit punchy not wanting to kick any logs or rocks loose,50 percent plnty steep to get stuff moving at a high rate of speed!i am not familiar with smz,s,but im guessing the gas guys wouldnt appreciate a boulder or log slamming into one,are you gonna be able to access the ridge above the highway to pull those monsters up the hill?

yes, lots of natural resources around there, some renewable, some not.

We're working off the ridge, logging uphill, and hauling down.

Not much traffic, but the gas well guy is in there probably once a day. Yes, don't be downhill from the dozer.

He'll drop that dozer right off the bladed road, anything to keep from pulling rope. Its stupid, but we kind of look the other way. Rarely uses the balde except for shoving logs or tops around. The real significant disturbance is negligible as a dozer compaction on duff is minimal and scarrification actually stimulates regeneration, but it doesn't look pretty to the untrained eye.... of course, none of it does I suppose.

yes, lots of natural resources around there, some renewable, some not.

We're working off the ridge, logging uphill, and hauling down.

Not much traffic, but the gas well guy is in there probably once a day. Yes, don't be downhill from the dozer.

He'll drop that dozer right off the bladed road, anything to keep from pulling rope. Its stupid, but we kind of look the other way. Rarely uses the balde except for shoving logs or tops around. The real significant disturbance is negligible as a dozer compaction on duff is minimal and scarrification actually stimulates regeneration, but it doesn't look pretty to the untrained eye.... of course, none of it does I suppose.

scarrification actually stimulates regeneration - lol.....welll i guess that statement is true in the sense that you cant have regeneration unless something is destroyed. but if your implying that driving the dozer around smashing stuff is actually good for the envirorment...no.:spam:

scarrification actually stimulates regeneration - lol.....welll i guess that statement is true in the sense that you cant have regeneration unless something is destroyed. but if your implying that driving the dozer around smashing stuff is actually good for the envirorment...no.:spam:

well that depends on where and what you are doing i suppose?and also who has"researched"the"facts".we subcontract logging in these parts,and alot of the sales we do are in thick stands of aspen,"they"have decide that the doug fir is choking out the aspen stands,and i agree,its pretty obvious really,but they have done studies even our local college students got in on it,and they want us romping around in the aspen thickets because aspens regenerate from the roots,and it all makes perfect sense until the elk stop in and eat all of the new growth,like i always say "dont ask me i just work here",or if its really bad i say "dont ask me i dont even work here"plans vary per said forest,in my opinion for overall forest health we do a good job round these parts

bullbuck, here's some stuff on SMZ's (Stream Management Zones) for Montana:

http://www.archive.org/stream/streamsidemanage00montrich/streamsidemanage00montrich_djvu.txt

And for South Carolina:

http://www.state.sc.us/forest/rbsmz.htm

thanks metals that clears things up,down here we have very few streams or rivers,this is probably why i havent heard of smzs before.we have a "river"here called the rio penasco,if you saw it you would laugh,its maybe couple feet deep and 4'wide that is our river,probably not even a stream in your part of the world...thanks

Latest posts

Back