hey fallers, 45 or sideslope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tramp Busheler has got it right for for timber that is to be bucked. In a clearcut and bigger wood this is the way it's done.
The straight down the hill stuff. That came into its own when the processors started showing up on the landings. Yarding tree length for a proccessor that's the way to go. You can quarter them a little across the hill but you should know the way the rigging crew is going to work in to it. Lay it out so the tops come first and your soul will be cursed for eternity.
Then there is thinning. That is usually straight down the hill in the corridor and quartering to the sides away from the corridor.
In my opinion the lay of the ground usually determines the how things will be layed out so no hard and fast rule much like the rest of logging. You have to size each strip up .

Tramp Busheler has got it right for for timber that is to be bucked. In a clearcut and bigger wood this is the way it's done.
The straight down the hill stuff. That came into its own when the processors started showing up on the landings. Yarding tree length for a proccessor that's the way to go. You can quarter them a little across the hill but you should know the way the rigging crew is going to work in to it. Lay it out so the tops come first and your soul will be cursed for eternity.
Then there is thinning. That is usually straight down the hill in the corridor and quartering to the sides away from the corridor.
In my opinion the lay of the ground usually determines the how things will be layed out so no hard and fast rule much like the rest of logging. You have to size each strip up .

i agree with you

The most awful thin g about dumoing them straight down hill, atleast in hw country, is that when you're limbing and topping, there really isn't one good side to stand on, the tree is liable to roll either way. AND, have you ever had a 90' stem come sliding by you at about 40mph when you lopped the top off? Better hope there isn't a little stob to catch you, or something coming with it.

Yep, start at the bottom, like mowing the grass, working the block back and forth, I kind of get a 45 across the bottomg of the block sometimes, whether to keep in the shade better, or stay out from under things.

When I say sideslope, I'd say 9/10 its 15 degrees downhill, its inevitable as it falls.

I haven't heard too much bad about sidesloping, thanks for the input.

Not to mention you haven't even reached the butt of the log after walking 40 feet down the hill, now you've got to go the rest of the way limbing and topping.

And, yarders have skylines. Maybe the corridor should be cut steeper to the hill, but for lateral pulls, straight down hill don't make no sense.

Hammer : ya , there are alot of HARD ways to fall timber . . But since most of the time timber leans some down hill , it doesn,t take alot to lay it out nice and pretty ...A Nice laid out strip is really pretty . . Timber standing on its nose , Maybe the mill likes it , but I don,t know anyone in the brush that does ......
. It,s like buckin blow down that blew straight down the mountain in steep ground ...... There might be an easier way to work your ass off and get killed all in the same day , but I don,t know what it would be ....

Here's a dozer pushed root wad twisted like spaghetti around a couple of trees, wanna cut it off for me real quick, or should I just hit you aross the knees with a baseball bat right now?

Disclaimer: I am not a faller, nor do I intend to be one..

I was thinking about it today, how about "faller emeritus"

Or, maybe an honorary degree would be more your preference. When's the book signing tour?

These look pretty straight across, but there is a bit of angling. These are to be downhill:cry: yarded. Not a very good picture. I need some technical help on this new computer. :dizzy:
This isn't the picture I wanted. It is taken from the soon to be landing looking up.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Hammer : ya , there are alot of HARD ways to fall timber . . But since most of the time timber leans some down hill , it doesn,t take alot to lay it out nice and pretty ...A Nice laid out strip is really pretty . . Timber standing on its nose , Maybe the mill likes it , but I don,t know anyone in the brush that does ......
. It,s like buckin blow down that blew straight down the mountain in steep ground ...... There might be an easier way to work your ass off and get killed all in the same day , but I don,t know what it would be ....

:agree2:

What hepled me out alot was starting out in the brush, and working my way up it kinds of gives You a better idea of what works good and what You'd have to fight. I can think of a few times in the past I had some choice words for a cutter or two. As far as tops up the hill , and logs coming in top first when I was chasing I hated to see that it's dangerous in alot of ways, and a royal pain in the a$$, good way to bust up logs, pi$$ off you're chaser and operators, and send pieces backdown the hill too. Most of the units I cut we get a unit map showing how they want em laid down, and have prework meeting with a siderod and or hooktender and work out the details, and what's feasable and what isn't, as mentioned it depends on the wood, the ground, and where the yarder is going to sit, and whether or not it will be hand proccessed or worked with a delimber, some jobs I have worked had near vertical walls up the draws, and if You would have attempted to fall em straight down the hill You would end up with a mess of broken tops, logs, and everything would've been jammed up and pinned in down in the bottom which is a mess, and would get alot of cussing, and probably end up looking for a new employer over it.on alot of these steep jobs enough ends up wadded up in the bottom anyway despite how You put em down.

These look pretty straight across, but there is a bit of angling. These are to be downhill:cry: yarded. Not a very good picture. I need some technical help on this new computer. :dizzy:
This isn't the picture I wanted. It is taken from the soon to be landing looking up.
attachment.php

I never thinned down hill so zero experience but I can see where in that situation timber layed across the hill would be best and all bucked. I can see a lot of tree damage on that unless you had pretty wide corridors and good lift. Even then seems like the damage would be bad.
What kind of damage do you allow on something like that?
Where I thinned it was private land and they were very particular. No damage over the size of a half dollar above waist height was allowed. started out with 6 foot corridors and they usually expanded to 12 by the time the road was done. I don't think we could have made downhilling work.

I never thinned down hill so zero experience but I can see where in that situation timber layed across the hill would be best and all bucked. I can see a lot of tree damage on that unless you had pretty wide corridors and good lift. Even then seems like the damage would be bad.
What kind of damage do you allow on something like that?
Where I thinned it was private land and they were very particular. No damage over the size of a half dollar above waist height was allowed. started out with 6 foot corridors and they usually expanded to 12 by the time the road was done. I don't think we could have made downhilling work.

The damage I allow is more than I would for an uphill job. I even make the corridors wider. There was one crew that was on this area 2 years ago. They were all experienced--company hooktenders. They did as little damage as there would be if it was uphill logging. I have not seen a crew that good since. Their production was the same. That part is the real killer.

The most awful thin g about dumoing them straight down hill, atleast in hw country, is that when you're limbing and topping, there really isn't one good side to stand on, the tree is liable to roll either way. AND, have you ever had a 90' stem come sliding by you at about 40mph when you lopped the top off? Better hope there isn't a little stob to catch you, or something coming with it.

Yep, start at the bottom, like mowing the grass, working the block back and forth, I kind of get a 45 across the bottomg of the block sometimes, whether to keep in the shade better, or stay out from under things.

When I say sideslope, I'd say 9/10 its 15 degrees downhill, its inevitable as it falls.

I haven't heard too much bad about sidesloping, thanks for the input.

well a doug fir is a whole different song and dance from what you got up there.

and im not saying always cut straight down but i am saying that on a steep grade 45 degree is to much a lot of times, there is no one set rule every strip, and every tree is different.

The damage I allow is more than I would for an uphill job. I even make the corridors wider. There was one crew that was on this area 2 years ago. They were all experienced--company hooktenders. They did as little damage as there would be if it was uphill logging. I have not seen a crew that good since. Their production was the same. That part is the real killer.

if your trees are laid out properly everything else goes heluva lot smoother for everybody

:hmm3grin2orange: thats funny

Never been to Canada, but what's the difference between a fir up there and a fir here in Oregon, or an Oak on the east coast or an oak on the west coast?.
Some of the thinking of my fellow oregonians don't allways match mine!
Especially some of the perhaps lesser seasoned.

Never been to Canada, but what's the difference between a fir up there and a fir here in Oregon, or an Oak on the east coast or an oak on the west coast?.
Some of the thinking of my fellow oregonians don't allways match mine!
Especially some of the perhaps lesser seasoned.

i was comparing doug fir to oak not fir to fir or oak to oak.

Back