Hey Guys What's Up? A little update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR500

Diesel, Snowmobile, & Chainsaw Technician
Reaction score
Hey guys it has been a little to long since I have posted here lol. Since my sled season is over my 02 Arctic Cat Sno-Pro 440 with a D&D 720 kit is being put away and bringing the CR 500 is being brought out & maybe sold so I can get a Kawasaki KX 250 with pro circuit engine & suspension work. I thought I would let people know what has happened to me in just half a year. Well first thing is first yes I still have both my 044 and 391 Stihls in my arsenal. This site has done its job by making become addicted to saws that I really do not need but do need to say I have them.

Around Christmas time of 2010 I almost bought a brand new Stihl 880 with a 41 inch bar and 2 chains off an estate auction for around $1600 I only had $1400 so there was some anger and emotions about losing that saw. I know a few of you guys may laugh at this but it goes to show how dangerous saws and a sharp chain can be. Anyways I was going with my big brother and my mom to cut down a Christmas tree and my brother brought along a friend who needed a tree, so he finds his tree and he wants me to cut it down so I have my 391 with me I cut down the tree fine but the tip of the bar hit a stump that nobody flush cut down to the ground, thus causing kickback. I was able to prevent the saw coming into me at a faster rate but the chain caught some strands of thread my snowmobile bibs and I see the saw go into my leg. I turn the saw off waiting for the pain to kick in and I feel nothing I look at the cut and see some flesh and feel the blood going down my leg, so after 5 hrs of being transferred to somebody that could stitch my leg up with 3 layers of 15 stitches. I was told that I will have some nerve damage in my left leg for the majority of my life.

I was bummed that I would have to sit some of my snowmobile season out, so during ths sitting out time I limped down to the local Stihl dealer where I bought my saw from with my leg brace on and the guy said " You cut ur leg?" I was like yeah I need some chaps in the future. So after some talking and showing him my leg he gave me a discounted price on some Stihl chaps.

Unfortunately My 391 became injured the past month due to my big brother who never used a saw before was trying to cut down a maple when I told him do not cut that tree sown you have no experience with saw. He tried cutting it down and needles to say my saw became pinched in the tree, So my dad who was trying to cut this tree down at night with the 044 at night succeed in getting the saw and tree down with some wedges and luck. I was seeing if my saw was okay at home and I noticed that the sprocket cover is broke around the bar nuts and is cracked all over the cover. This is leading me to my next question Will a 362 Sprocket cover fit on my saw because my dealer has one that is just collecting dust and is tired of using it for a paper weight. Or will any sprocket cover fit on my saw for that matter?

Thanks guys really missed this site.
I do have pictures of 2 hours after my leg was cut and the next day with some stitches. Hope some of guys have a good stomach lol

Last edited:
You have like four different stories packed into one paragraph. That almost made me not read the post! Glad I went ahead and read through it, though. In the future, hit the enter key every once in a while. makes things easier to follow.

Sucks about your accident. Lessen learned, I guess. definitely could have been WAYYY worse. Regarding the numbness--I had a broken tibia about 12 years ago and for the surgery they had to cut me open quite a bit and then staple it all back up. That cut totally left a good portion of the leg completely numb to any kind of sensations. Sometimes some nerve connections begin to work over time, sometimes they don't. I had a compound fracture in my arm when I was in high school. Similar numbness on a good portion of my arm. within a couple of years I had all sensations back except within about 1/2" on either side of the scar. I can live with that.

Sucks about your saw, there's a thread around right now about loaning saws out! That'll teach you to let anybody borrow them!!!

Sorry about making it hard to follow I fixed it so it is much either to follow.
As for loaning saws out I knew he wanted to get rid of that tree that was bothering nothing, I was not home when this happened. It was when I got home I found out he took the saw without asking.

Latest posts

Back