Hey Sawtroll.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it had the 7 pin on in TN, would there be any value in comparing the 7 pin to 8 pin in .325?

Is it possible Wiggs speed came more from his 3/8ths 7 pin vs. the 7 pin .325 than 3/8ths chain vs. .325 chain?

I hope that is not the case since I just ordered a new 18" 3/8 Sugihara bar for it.

Since it had the 7 pin on in TN, would there be any value in comparing the 7 pin to 8 pin in .325?

Is it possible Wiggs speed came more from his 3/8ths 7 pin vs. the 7 pin .325 than 3/8ths chain vs. .325 chain?

I hope that is not the case since I just ordered a new 18" 3/8 Sugihara bar for it.

U will LOVE the 18" 3/8 setup!!!

It's fast.......:)

My trials showed that .325x7 was slightly faster than both .325x8 and 3/8x7 on both the 346xp and the 5100S - but that was stock (minus spark screen) saws, that were just run in.
The wood was 7 and 11" birch, and the chain was 21LP and 73LP (new, but filed two strokes).

Modded saws surely will act differently, and it is close enough that anyone that cares should try the options himself, and not trust "tests" done by others. :msp_smile:

My trials showed that .325x7 was slightly faster than both .325x8 and 3/8x7 on both the 346xp and the 5100S - but that was stock (minus spark screen) saws, that were just run in.
The wood was 7 and 11" birch, and the chain was 21LP and 73LP (new, but filed two strokes).

Modded saws surely will act differently, and it is close enough that anyone that cares should try the options himself, and not trust "tests" done by others. :msp_smile:

There is too many variances with off the roll chain. For instance, a brand new loop of Oregon LGX I got the other day, didn't cut for crap. The rakers were all over the place. Once they were set, and the cutters touched up, it was a cuttin Bessie.

A good, sharp, properly filed 3/8 chain is gonna cut a lot differently than a new one that has only had the cutters touched up a couple strokes. I suppose the same can be said for .325 chain, but I can't file it near as good as 3/8 chain.

The chain on my 346 is filed no different than one that goes on my 70cc and up saws. Same raker height and all.

HOORAY 3/8!!! :clap: :clap:

I found the proof! Not only was my saw significantly faster, but it was doing it with a big gearing disadvantage. As said before, you have to go with a 8-pin in .325 to equal the diameter of a 7-pin 3/8. I would normally run a 8-pin on a 16" bar, but have this saw setup for a reach advantage, and from comparing to the 261 in big wood. Now whatcha got to say ole Wigsy boy:)

Stock, 7 pin 3/8, 2.9
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1glWRyYgse8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stock 2.8
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_49acPMy7mI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ported, 7 pin .325 2.1
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bqAcDc9VsvU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It would be fun to do the .325 vs 3/8 chain testing again, but some of us have already done that and .325 is faster on a 346. They pull a 3/8 fine, but not as well as a .325. .325 will be smoother for limbing as well.

HOORAY .325!!! :clap: :clap:

In that size oak which i wood think is close to birch the 7 pin is slower on my 5100. Any thing the tip sticks tru with a 66 D/L bar, the 8 pin is faster. Get much above 14" and the 7 pin wins.

I stilL say the first 375 times I spanked ur hind end in front of half of AS!!!!

Funny how them videos didn't show up?

How come I didn't get to turn mine up off of 13.2 and play again? :(

And one more thing before I go :D

Your comparing ur baddest of the bad, ceramic injected , PORTED 346 against a stocker!!! :D

Good day.... :D

Randy told me this saw was the fastest 346XP there that day.

[video=youtube;HmXwLXRoXjs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HmXwLXRoXjs[/video]

I'm starting to think he was pulling my leg. :msp_sad: :cry:

Randy told me this saw was the fastest 346XP there that day.

I'm starting to think he was pulling my leg. :msp_sad: :cry:

:laugh: Well, just not on that cut lol. Thats a damn fine running saw Wendell.

Maybe Randy can say for sure, but I think your 346 was running semi chisel chain too.

Last edited:
How come race chain isn't on a .325 chassis??:D

...and if .325 is faster on a 50cc, why wouldn't it be faster on a 70cc?
...and if 3/8s is faster on a 70cc, why wouldn't it be on a 50cc as long as it has the power to pull it???

:hmm3grin2orange:

:laugh: Well, just not on that cut lol. Thats a damn fine running saw Wendell.

Maybe Randy can say for sure, but I think your 346 was running semi chisel chain too.

I accidentally sent it with semi-chisel so that is my fault but I thought he was going to put on same fancy-dancy chain he had made up.

I stilL say the first 375 times I spanked ur hind end in front of half of AS!!!!

Funny how them videos didn't show up?

How come I didn't get to turn mine up off of 13.2 and play again? :(

Which was when mine was probably 1/2 turn too rich on the H needle:tongue2: Aren't you kind of young for Alzheimer's to be setting in?:msp_wink: I'll take a 25-30% gain any day of the week!

Last edited:
Back