Hi-Vis clothing in the bush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the colour!

Borneo-Orangutan-1.jpeg

I kinda like it even for fallers. When a man is down, perhaps unconscious, and you're looking for him, even if you know where he was working on the face, every second counts. A guy will stick out like a sore thumb with his hi vis on, even laying down.

Thats a good point . The other thing , with bushlers anyway ., work hours are short . If a bushler stops moving he stops making money . If u can't see a guy moving on a hillside there is something haywire .
Like hearing a saw idleing . Worse sound you can here .

It's an epidemic. The tide of next to useless cotton wool that swamps just about anything that moves tends to dilute the perceived importance of it in the few actually worthwhile applications it has. Wearing my fluro tin foil hat, I'm inclined to muse it's more of a marketing conspiracy by the safety industry to perpetuate their revenue streams under the guise of saving us from ourselves. They probably figure, and not without good cause either, that the more cotton wool they can squeeze into our safety security blankets, the less need there'll be for common sense and respect to be employed by those working in hazardous occupations, thus the safety industry can rely upon an ever rising, self perpetuating stream of bigger and better idjits.

To this I agree, the fashion to cover everything in fluro by clip board fools in OH&S and off the tools management has gone to far. Its become platitude to real safety in better staff selection and proper labour resourcing. The fluro death shrouds may have saved a few near misses, but why was there a near miss in the 1st place? Personal protection is the last thing in the chain of safety 1st remove the hazard 2nd control the hazard then lastly pretty pink safety gear.

I laugh with tears at work when the put fluro on OH& S women in 5 inch high heels on the work site and hard hats on visiting clip board suits who never set foot outta the site sheds.

Years ago I bought a pair of Italian chainsaw boots. Classy, eh? They were cheap, I thought, heck, I'll give them a try, but it was a penny wasted; they exploded to pieces after two weeks. Interesting detail was that the soils were high-vis bright red colour. I figured the idea was that it would help to find a corpse feet sticking out of the brush.

Thats a good point . The other thing , with bushlers anyway ., work hours are short . If a bushler stops moving he stops making money . If u can't see a guy moving on a hillside there is something haywire .
Like hearing a saw idleing . Worse sound you can here .

Absolutely, I totally agree. I always tell the guys to make sure when they're listening for their partner to make sure they hear their saw working, not just idling.

Haha! Yep, that too! I was asked on the radio once if I was building a house! ;)

:laugh: Yup, somebody always has something to say. I misjudged a fir one day , and I misjudged it bad. I should have just crossed the lead with it and let the skidder guy complain. Nope. Pride, ya know.

So, I was beating the hell out of the wedges, and sweating, and beating, and cussing, and beating. I stopped for a minute to catch my breath and I heard my partner yell..."Hey...it sounds like a shooting gallery over there. You trying to save gas money on your saw?"
He always was a wise-ass.

I got my my revenge the next day. He had one set back on him and I had to cut him out. I made him wait a little before I hiked over, though. :laugh:

:laugh: Yup, somebody always has something to say. I misjudged a fir one day , and I misjudged it bad. I should have just crossed the lead with it and let the skidder guy complain. Nope. Pride, ya know.

So, I was beating the hell out of the wedges, and sweating, and beating, and cussing, and beating. I stopped for a minute to catch my breath and I heard my partner yell..."Hey...it sounds like a shooting gallery over there. You trying to save gas money on your saw?"
He always was a wise-ass.

I got my my revenge the next day. He had one set back on him and I had to cut him out. I made him wait a little before I hiked over, though. :laugh:

Good one, Bob, made me chuckle!

I second or third that idling chainsaw thing, man it is a gut draining sound to hear a tree go over then have the cutter just stand there and idle the saw for what seems like an eternity. Then you hear him goose it or make a limbing cut or topping cut and all is well again, but those few seconds of just hearing an idling saw are the worst.

There is one good point to the "needlessly" reving the saw when you are walking about or getting to the top or something, at least you know the operator is still alive and well enough to make worthless noise with his saw, LOL.

Sam

Some times I don't want to be seen from a long distance. I might be setting a bear trap :potstir: or sneaking a smoke.

My cutting partner hollered "Hey it sounds like you have to much holding wood". Like I was not aware of that and would not cut it up some more if it was not set back on my saw. When I tell him as much he says "well you should have set a wedge" as if I was not aware of that little bit of info either lol.

Some times I don't want to be seen from a long distance. I might be setting a bear trap :potstir: or sneaking a smoke.

My cutting partner hollered "Hey it sounds like you have to much holding wood". Like I was not aware of that and would not cut it up some more if it was not set back on my saw. When I tell him as much he says "well you should have set a wedge" as if I was not aware of that little bit of info either lol.

Yup..you can do it right 1000 times and nobody ever says a word. But screw it up just once and you'll hear all kinds of comments. :)

One of my favorites was when somebody (not me, honest) splattered a big old growth cedar. That thing broke in so many places that it looked like somebody had blown it up. The bullbuck came up and just kind of stood there looking at it for a minute and said..."I don't think Diamond Match is buying anything from us these days...I guess you boys cut that one just for fun".

I've never heard that one before, I'm assuming that a bear trap is the same as a monkey tail

Back