Hi Y'all........Messed Up Anything Lately?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lately???? nothing messed up to bad that is worth mentioning,,, my last big screw up I was building dhibbs75 044,, got all the work done,, turned it on its side fly wheel down,, flipped it over and put on the recoil assembly,,, fired it up,,, ran great for about 1 minute,,, and the most god awlful noise for about 2 seconds and then it stopped cold,,,, thought the piston come apart and seized,,, found the problem, I missed a screw that was on the bench and it got stuck to the fly wheel,,, tore ever fin off of it,,, thanks to an AS member and it was up and going,, run dang good to

Oil leak on an Ex-mark (Kawi) walk behind........decide it is the crankcase seal.....strip the threads pulling the flywheel......hunt all over town for the correct pitch tap....get it put back together and find the breather screws had backed out:redface:.....at least I did not split the damn horizontal case before finding it:dunno:

First thing Monday morning managed to slam my smartphone with the cruiser door, screen bust and just dead, desperately trying to remember where the boss was headed (i'd written it on the phone)and find it without the satnav I just crushed. Day got worse from there. Using the awful barely working phone that was replaced when I got the new one.

On the plus side my house insurance will cover a new phone, but the excess is more than I can buy a new one for.

I hate mondays more now

I use a tool rest on the grinder......just recently got a 8" grinder too. On these squish cutting bits I have to undercut the bottom of the cutter to allow clearance for the radius of the bore. The smaller the bore the more likely the heel is to hit.

I forgot to clip that heel. :bang:

I haven't used a tool rest since the early 70s. My instructor claimed that they are dangerous, you can get your finger between the wheel and the rest. Once you lean to use a grinder without the rest, you will never go back to one. I cant imagine sharpening a cutting tool or a brill bit with a rest anymore.
I have a 10" 3 phase grinder that I use all of the time without a rest.

Later
Dan

I've done that one too, and have the dents in the hood of my van to prove it:angry:

I have an 056 Mag clutch somewhere within 50 yards of my shop door. I did that one 10 years ago and I still haven't found it.

Later
Dan

Here is my latest bonehead move:

For all of you guys out there that want to know how to destroy a perfectly functioning behind the flywheel coil. First you decide that you just cannot sleep at night knowing that the small amount of crud behind the flywheel that you were not able to clean off during your cleaning/inspection process is still there. And, for that reason you must absolutely get that damn flywheel off so that you can remove the crud. New to this style of setup and still slightly confused as to where the coil is on this saw you notice the three small threaded holes in the face of the flywheel. You decide that the manufacturer must have put them there for you to put three screws into in order to advance those screws far enough to force the flywheel off the crank shaft. Perfect logic......so you proceed and the flywheel pops off. At that point you discover the location of what used to be a perfectly functioning coil but now has the plastic case cracked in three places and the copper coil exposed. At that point you decide to pull up the electronic version of the repair manual that you so diligently downloaded from this site to look thru for the first time and discover that had you done that 15 minutes earlier you would still have a perfectly functioning coil instead of a perfectly ruined one.
while working on the orthopeadic ward a retired former surgeon was in for a broken hip and
was operated on by a rookie saw bones I overheared the young surgeon express discontent
with his work to his patient and the old patient/surgeon said ,dont go in again Cam
( the enemy of BEST is BETTER ):hmm3grin2orange:

gotta love the lettering and location.

Well ####, got my oopsie in today.
neighbor asked me to look at his weedbeater.
Typical cracked fuel line and a pair of "pac-man" carb screws
for some added slotting fun!

figured that clamping it in the vise was easier than than holding it one hand
and chasing the buzzy screws with the screwdriver in the other hand.

I guess y'all can tell just how near I was to missing that air hose.
You can even see the little holes in the inner wall where it bulged between the threads
and then got trimmed out.
When I noticed the lettering arraignment, I just figured it was worth a photo.

Latest posts

Back