High School Student Looking for advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affordabletree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Adam and I am in the midst of starting a tree service. I am looking for advice and guidence on my tree service. I have the following questions:

-What other equipment do I need
-How do I get my name out there for jobs
-What sort of insurance do I need
-What should Insurance cost
-I am only 18 will I be able to get insurance
-What are some dos and do nots of the business

My current equipment list is as follows:
-1975 Altec 6x16 wood chipper with ford v8 engine
-1983 GMC C7000 stake body dump truck
-Full set of climbing and rigging gear
-Chainsaws- Stihl ms200t, Stihl 034, Jonsered 2172, Jonsered 820, Jonsered 920, and another stihl 034
-14,000lb dump trailer
-GMC 2500 HD (my dads truck he lets me use)
-And finally for large land clearing jobs I bought a 1966 Allis Chalmers HD6G track loader

I have gotton a couple jobs by going and knocking on doors but I feel like I am being desperate doing that. I have invested about $14,000 in all of my equipment and would like to keep the spending from here on out down to a minimum unless I absolutley need more stuff. I am looking for any advice anyone has to help me out. I am getting ready to take my CDL driving test soon, should that help at all with insurance? Also one of my neighbors suggested going to another tree service and offering to do their "crap jobs" to get started, I dont think that this is a good idea, any thoughts?

Finally I am looking for a "mentor" in my area that I can meet and just sit down and talk with.
Thanks
Adam Eggleston
Grand Blanc MI

What is your background with tree work ? I would suggest getting in with a good local company and getting experience first.

My advice would be to pair up with someone with a 1-3 man crew and start out with some cheaper labor so you can learn from them. It won't be hard to market your company once you have the experience. However most jobs are going to require 1 more person.

What for prior experience do you have with doing tree work other then the few jobs you got?

I hope you say your dad owns a tree service, cause if you have no prior experience, you are going down a very dangerous road.

Hello Adam. Sounds like you've got a good start as far a equipment. That said, equipment breaks down when you need it the most. Keeping costs down is every business owners dream. Best wishes for your fledgling enterprise.

Nike said it best .... Just do it!

Adam,

You are on the right track to getting started and understanding that you Need a Mentor is one if the biggest steps! I've been doing this a while and I still ask my Mentor for advice regularly.
The equipment base is very helpful to start but always insure you have the cash flow to fuel your equipment and pay your employees( those 2 factors are Paramount).
If I were you I would start out advertising on Face Book and Google AdWords they will give you the second biggest bang for your buck that you can get. The Biggest Bang you will get for your Marketing Dollar is to have a Bright colored clean late model Pickup with your Business name and services all over it ..... You only Pay Once and you receive the benefits for ever!
then spend all of your spare time reading, learning and watching others. The Biggest bump in the road you will face is your AGE and being able to Sell your self to your Potential Customers ..... once you master that you will be golden.
try reading "how to win friends and influence people" Dale Carnegie lots of great info in there about how to interact with your customers and sell them on your self!

Best of luck to you Try Hard! and do your Best work EVERY TIME!

jon

Latest posts

Back