Holy oil shock batman !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i started running used vegtible oil (after cleaning), of coarse i have about 100 gals or so around since i filter it and run it in my truck. free for me, biodegradable and it seems to run fine in all my saws.

You use Veg. Oil as Engine Oil in your truck ? WHOA !!!

I hate to be the one to one up the OP but just came from the local Stihl dealer and thought I would check out his price of bar oil. Knowing I paid $12.00 a gallon for winter oil about 4 months ago it was a shock to see $20.00 on the price tag. As I was paying for my little 6 pack of gas oil I ask the guy behind the counter if they sell a lot of bar oil. He claimed, straight faced, that they still order the same amount of bar oil monthly that they did 2 years ago. Knowing that there are cheaper options out there all I can say is Stihl must have some people that are really dedicated to brand loyalty.

Lol, I'm sure he uses WVO as diesel fuel. I feel your pain about the Honda...I have a Rubicon. Even changing my own oil cost me almost $40 in that thing, and you're right, you need that special oil.

ha, just in the fuel tank, i dump about anything in there that burns:laugh:

other than that i usually waited for the money off cupons or the oil to go on sale at tractor supply, i used to be one of those terrible guys who ran used motor oil as bar oil till i came here.

I wouldn't run used motor oil, as it seems the properties are broken down after 5,000 miles of use. Tractor Hydraulic oil seems to have more the consistency of bar oil. BUT, I'd have reservation using anything that isn't designed for the use because of things like detergents or cleaners in certain oils, and how they may wear or break down internal parts.

Ok, you guys can start yelling at me because lately I have been using used engine oil instead. My car is brand new and just changed the oil for the first time. The oil looked brand new so I figured it was better than the syrup looking summer grade bar oil I had laying around.

Lets think about this for a minute...

You changed the oil in your car because it was "dirty" and had debris and foreign matter in it (metal shavings, etc.) that are harmful to your car's engine.

Now you are going to take the oil that is "dirty" and not fit for your car and then run it through a saw that has a pump, o rings, a diaphragm, worm gear, etc. and allow it to destroy those components? Sounds like a good maintenance and financial plan.

And no, screening it with your wife's pantyhose will not make it clean.

There is a difference between being cheap and frugal.

Holy crap, $18 a gallon!!!

When it was selling for $11 a gallon I found a stihl dealer selling it for $6 a gallon still. Needless to say I asked how much oil he had, I left with about 20 gallons.

What a investment, who's investments went up 3x in the past 4 years?

I was at my Stihl dealers yesterday. Noticed he had no Stihl bar oil. I mentioned hearing aobut $14 prices and he said it is true and he would have to charge $14.95 to carry it so he doesn't any more. I didn't ask about what he had on the shelf.

Harry K

Holy crap, $18 a gallon!!!

When it was selling for $11 a gallon I found a stihl dealer selling it for $6 a gallon still. Needless to say I asked how much oil he had, I left with about 20 gallons.

What a investment, who's investments went up 3x in the past 4 years?

?? mine did ! everytime i think of the price of their oil and then think of what i use and pay .. menards has pro chain saw bar oil for 5.89 this week at that savings im way ahead!! next week it will even be cheaper yet!! need to get another 40 gallons to stock up for this fall season...

Ok, you guys can start yelling at me because lately I have been using used engine oil instead. My car is brand new and just changed the oil for the first time. The oil looked brand new so I figured it was better than the syrup looking summer grade bar oil I had laying around.

I'm not going to yell, just provide information. Automotive engines today are not the same as olden days and consequently, oil makers at the push of EPA are reducing or removing the zinc content. Zinc, also known as ZDDP, is an extreme pressure lubricant and is primarily used to protect engine camshafts from the sliding, rubbing wear caused by older non-roller type lifters. There are plenty of discussions on the 'net about engine damage caused by modern low zinc oils used in older engines and it's amazing how quickly it can occur. Knowing how much pressure can be placed on a bar and how thin the oil can get from heat, I would expect problems to show up using engine oil.

I was in Wally World the other day and noticed some gallons of Quaker State "Defy" oil. It's a high ZDDP content oil that might be a possible replacement for regular engine oil in the bar. You can also find some high ZDDP additives but they're not cheap. Lucas additive was $14/pint last time I bought it.

Knowing how much pressure can be placed on a bar and how thin the oil can get from heat, I would expect problems to show up using engine oil.

I'm no expert...

But a Husky 20" 3/8" .050 bar from Bailey's is $56.

I'm gonna guess not many people wearing out bars in less then 10 gallons of bar oil, nor do I think you'll see the effects showing up on chains which I'm guessing you'll sharpen away before you wear away.

So if there is an argument for premature wear of the wear parts...$60 is the the cost-benefit point. You're ahead of the game if buying a $60 bar saves you buying 11 $6 gallons of oil.

(Unless there's other affects like additional wear on the sprocket, or contaminates in the oil damaging the pump, but someone more familiar with chainsaw mechanics would have to fill me in on that.)

I still buy Stihl oil, call me a sucker...but then again I only average maybe 1-1/2 gallons per year so the pain isn't that great. If I was using much more oil, better believe I'd be looking for something cheaper by the 5 gallon bucket!

Last edited:
I'm no expert...

But a Husky 20" 3/8" .050 bar from Bailey's is $56.

I'm gonna guess not many people wearing out bars in less then 10 gallons of bar oil, nor do I think you'll see the effects showing up on chains which I'm guessing you'll sharpen away before you wear away.

So if there is an argument for premature wear of the wear parts...$60 is the the cost-benefit point. You're ahead of the game if buying a $60 bar saves you buying 11 $6 gallons of oil.

I guess that's the whole question for engine oil vs bar oil. Will the bar remain useful through 10 gallons of engine oil as a lube? I used to use it in a low speed electric saw I had here with no troubles but when I had my old McCulloch 16" I didn't have much luck using engine oil for the bar. I suppose a visit to the chainsaw forum and some searching through old threads might reveal more experiences.

I dont know about the rest of you guys!!!!

I started heating with wood to save money, now it's a way of life for me" Guess what I'm trying to say is, it's a damn shame that hard working men like us, that work our asses off to survive, have to worry bout oil prices...... It's a damn shame" SORRY GUYS! Just had to vent.

Nuff said.
I have gotten bit before by NOT matching the fluids. I've had quads for over 30 years. ALWAYS used a decent grade "regular" brand of 10W-30 Engine Oil for all the changes. Well 4 years ago I buy a branny new Honda Rincon. First oil change I do what I've always done, and put in a good grade of 10W-30. Started down the road, and IT WOULD NOT SHIFT, and the tranny slipped terribly. Too much of a coincidence, and I knew it had to be the oil. So I get the book out, and SURE ENOUGH, the type of clutch they put in those machines require a "special" oil. I'm sure others have that same "special" oil, but I buy it now from Honda, to the tune of almost $7/Quart. :eek2:

Thx fellers.

Rotella T available at TSC, Wally world, etc. Its heavy duty stuff, suitable for tractors, and wet clutches on a motorcycle, quad, etc. I run 10w-40 in all my bikes and quads without any troubles. I know some bike drag racers, and several of them use it as well.

I picked up a bnch of the TSC oil on sale as well for $5. Also have used new veggie oil off and on. Have found they both seem to work just fine.

Veg Bar Oil ?????

Just found this thread - it reminds me of somthing funny that I did last summer. Had changed the veg oil in my "Fry Daddy" cooker after it had darkened and burned a little and put the old oil in an old empty 1 gallon bar oil container to store in the garage awaiting the trip to the recycle place. A couple of weeks went by and I forgot all about the cooking oil in the bar oil container - I guess you can figure out what happened. I was cutting at a friend's piece of property in town and it was about 100 degrees out. As I filled the saw's oil resevoir, I remember thinking "Jee - this bar oil gets really thin when it gets hot out here". And after a few minutes of cutting I was thinking," Somebody must be having a cookout, because I can smell french fries". Finally I noticed that the chain seemed to be dragging a bit and it came to me - Always a treat when we can laugh at ourselves - which I did. Didn't hut anything, but prolly not a real good way to lube a bar and chain.

Just found this thread - it reminds me of somthing funny that I did last summer. Had changed the veg oil in my "Fry Daddy" cooker after it had darkened and burned a little and put the old oil in an old empty 1 gallon bar oil container to store in the garage awaiting the trip to the recycle place. A couple of weeks went by and I forgot all about the cooking oil in the bar oil container - I guess you can figure out what happened. I was cutting at a friend's piece of property in town and it was about 100 degrees out. As I filled the saw's oil resevoir, I remember thinking "Jee - this bar oil gets really thin when it gets hot out here". And after a few minutes of cutting I was thinking," Somebody must be having a cookout, because I can smell french fries". Finally I noticed that the chain seemed to be dragging a bit and it came to me - Always a treat when we can laugh at ourselves - which I did. Didn't hut anything, but prolly not a real good way to lube a bar and chain.

That's some funny stuff "Hey, Leroy, what kinda tree we cutting up again"?

I know that enviro safe bar oil they sell is some sort of veggie oil or blend. I never tried any though.

Hey, you could try frydaddy oil for mix oil, too! Be funny if it was better than synthetic...

I was doing some research on making my own biodiesel for my truck, but first I went around town to see if I could score waste cooking grease..nope, all spoken for now. Some big company has dedicated receptacles at all the places I checked.

Latest posts

Back