Homelite 240 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarren

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a homelite 240 that starts and seems to run ok, but after I run it awhile, it seems to accumulate oil that ends up on the muffler and smokes like crazy, any ideas, could it be a cracked oil tank, or cracked oil line? any ideas would be appreciated!! I can take some pics if needed. Thanks in advance

Try the simple things first, Saw's build up a lot of fine dust under the bar cover and around the clutch. It can get pretty thick and soaks up a lot of oil, after it gets hot it starts to run and drip. Clean it out real good and try again. Cleaning is free.

oil issues

well, im not entirely sure it's bar oil but when I picked up the saw off my garage floor the other night, there was an oil stain and i put my finger in the oil and smelled it, and it didnt smell much like gas, mainly oil.

If my memory is not too cloudy, the oil pump is impulse operated and is located under the air filter in front of the carburator, it pressurizes the oil tank and forces oil to the bar pad, some models have a little red, black or green check valve pushed into a hole on the side of the tank, sometimes they get gummy or loose and can leak oil into the body of the saw allowing oil to get to the muffler. Hope this helps.

duck bill value

The duck bill value is either on a second line in the oil tank just under the filler cap or as been menchined purest into the top of the oil tank.To see that one remove the starter side and look close the tank is black plastic and the value is black.Either way the engine is sucking chain oil into the crankcase and causeing the extra smoke.Wont hurt the engine but will not peak out on the r.p.m.s.Great for fogging skeeders.lol.Donnyman

Latest posts

Back