Homelite 330 clutch & oiler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure the hoses are clear and are connected right. These saws weren't the best at oiling when they work but I guess adequate. Make sure the line from the engine is hooked up, it provides the pulse. I've never tried it but I'd bet that you could hook up the lines like the Homelite Super 2 and leave that pump out and it would work.. I think on these saws the oil cap has to be air tight to pressurize the tank..

Yeah, just for a test, I took off the top/tank off of one, put a decent price on it, and it sold pretty quick. I'll try doing the rest of the saw here this fall. I have several of those saws laying about.
Beats the hell out of trying to fix it.

The 330 has a vented tank..
Correct, And the vent has to be working properly or it won't oil.

texican65,
To test, drain oil from tank, apply vacuum to the line going to tank, if tank holds vacuum, vent is bad. Another way is to leave oil cap cracked open so tank is vented for sure. You will need to run saw very fast ( near WOT) for at least several mins for the oiler to start working.

Great, now I got a Homelite nut who told folks you can't turn the chain on a gear drive, because well its a gear drive so its like direct drive telling me how to test a duckbill checkvalve. :ices_rofl:

He must have missed the point that I was replying to a guy who thought a 330 Homelite which only has one line running from the tank (which is a pickup line) somehow has a pressurized oil tank. :laugh:

Great, now I got a Homelite nut who told folks you can't turn the chain on a gear drive, because well its a gear drive so its like direct drive telling me how to test a duckbill checkvalve. :ices_rofl:

He must have missed the point that I was replying to a guy who thought a 330 Homelite which only has one line running from the tank (which is a pickup line) somehow has a pressurized oil tank. :laugh:
I only quoted you because you were correct, it's a vented tank. The test is for the OP. (Texican65)

Are you working on a 330, no! Only trying to help the OP, who is trying to fix the saw to give to some poor guy, who can't afford his own saw.

Thanks Undee! So if this oil tank only has the 1 supply line going to the pump...how is this tank vented..where's the vent? Or is there another line somewhere I'm not seeing? I'll get her put back together and try the vacuum test. Thanks everybody for the help.

Dow

If I only worked on saws that were super simple to work on, I wouldn't learn much. I'll admit to owing 3 330's because I like them. I put a new intake boot on all of them and now avoid E-10 on these and all chainsaws and similar O+P+E. I suspect E-10 laced impulse/mix kills the oiler diaphragms from the bottom. I would like to get sheet of material to be able to make new oiler diaphragms....

Back