Homelite XL-12 Bar/Chain ID help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overlooker

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a mid 1960s blue XL-12 with a 20 inch bar marked "101 Homelite GW 1820-50". The bar has a hard nose and came to me with a chain that has 70 drive links measuring 0.050". The sprocket has 8 teeth and is marked "3/8". The chain is marked with a logo that looks like an "H" within a border and is stamped "38" on the links. There are as many teeth as there are drive links, and they do not come to a square corner (I think that means that the chain is not full chisel.). I can't find any info about this bar or type 38 chain. Is anyone familiar with these markings? Thanks, Overlooker

Hey---Welcome--I really like the XL-12 series .I am no chain expert--but if it fits,can be tensioned out and has teeth left to sharpen I would run it--David---come on over to the chainsaw collectors lounge to meet some vintage saw nuts like me!! 1021161608-02.jpg 0917161601-01.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I also have an early 90s Super XL, but right now I'm working on getting the XL-12 to run. I rebuilt the Tillotson carb today and replaced the fuel line, the air filter and the spark plug. The power head runs like a top. I still have to check out the manual oiler, replace the vent in the fuel cap and sharpen the chain. I hoped to find specs for the chain on line, so I can sharpen it properly. I guess, if nobody knows anything more about the chain, I should just use my best judgement. Thet's a beautiful XL-12 you've got there. Did you restore it? Thanks, Overlooker

The chain is marked with a logo that looks like an "H" within a border and is stamped "38" on the links. There are as many teeth as there are drive links, and they do not come to a square corner (I think that means that the chain is not full chisel.). I can't find any info about this bar or type 38 chain. Is anyone familiar with these markings? Thanks, Overlooker
That's an original homelite chain. Either original to the saw or bought as a replacement from a homelite dealer way back when. I just repaired a Super XL Automatic that had one but was missing 2 or 3 cutters.

Correction: The chain has one tooth for every two drive links. I believe the proper term is Full comp as compared to skip tooth. I've been heating my home with fire wood that I cut for more than ten years, but I'm gradually getting a handle on the vocabulary! What is the purpose of the unusual bar on your XL-12 in the photo?

I have a mid 1960s blue XL-12 with a 20 inch bar marked "101 Homelite GW 1820-50". The bar has a hard nose and came to me with a chain that has 70 drive links measuring 0.050". The sprocket has 8 teeth and is marked "3/8". The chain is marked with a logo that looks like an "H" within a border and is stamped "38" on the links. There are as many teeth as there are drive links, and they do not come to a square corner (I think that means that the chain is not full chisel.). I can't find any info about this bar or type 38 chain. Is anyone familiar with these markings? Thanks, Overlooker
The bar is Gas Welded (GW). 1820-50 is a 20" bar .050" gauge. The 38 on the chain is Homelites designation for 3/8 pitch chain

Thanks LJElf for the input. The gentleman to whom this saw belonged died about 2 years ago at 93 years old. He moved from the farm to town in 1981 and probably used the saw little or not at all after that. I'm guessing that the chain is probably from 1980 or earlier, and it has a lot of life left in it. The black fuel cap is knurled, with eight bumps on its perimeter, and what looks like and aluminum rivet in the center. There was no gasket on the cap, so I created one to see if it would stop the leaking of fuel. Unfortunately, fuel still leaks out of the center of the cap, which I assume if a vent of some sort. I'm not sure whether I can repair the cap or will need to replace it. Next step is to sharpen the chain and check that the manual oiler works properly. Thanks again, Overlooker.

Ray, your decoding of the numbers on the bar fit with what I measured. I had wondered whether or not the "38" designated 3/8 pitch, but I was fairly sure that that is what the chain was since it says "3/8" on the sprocket. Thanks for the info. O.

Yes that is a 3/8" pitch chain. Could be either semi chisel or chipper. If you have a picture we could determine for sure.

You can dissect your fuel cap and replace the little valve in it but it's probably easier just to get a different one. One of the Homelite guys did outline that here a while back in one of the Homelite threads.

Thanks for the reply. I also have an early 90s Super XL, but right now I'm working on getting the XL-12 to run. I rebuilt the Tillotson carb today and replaced the fuel line, the air filter and the spark plug. The power head runs like a top. I still have to check out the manual oiler, replace the vent in the fuel cap and sharpen the chain. I hoped to find specs for the chain on line, so I can sharpen it properly. I guess, if nobody knows anything more about the chain, I should just use my best judgement. Thet's a beautiful XL-12 you've got there. Did you restore it? Thanks, Overlooker
Just carb kit and lines-original paint--This is a bowsaw bar..Used back in the 1950-60-70-80's in the south to cut pulpwood .Cutting trees on the ground--I like it for firewood --easy on the back--search bowsaw history at this site--top right corner of page--David

I have old style files and guides for various pitches, but lately I have been using the new Stihl 2-in-1 file guides for .325 and 3/8. If I get a chain that is really bad, I have a cheap electric sharpener that I can use, but it requires a lot of tweaking to do a good job. I'll have to investigate that thread about fixing the fuel cap vent as I enjoy salvaging something old rather than replacing it when I can. That bowsaw bar intrigues me. I'll have to check out some YouTube videos on the subject. Thank you all for your comments and advice. Each new project is a learning experience. O

Latest posts

Back