Homeowner VS Pro Saws SAFTY QUESTION

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liability is a funny animal. I am glad an attorney piped up. I was keeping quite hoping Jaime Cogar would notice this one. He is one Heck of a timberman that does attorney stuff during the week.

I blame the Magna Carta, but it beats law coming from the church alone.

Fred

There are actually different rules on saws above a certain displacement...

I believe the change over is at 62cc's...

Anybody know more about this one?

From Madsen's

"Selecting Professional Saw Chain

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - WARNING
All saw chain listed below is very aggressive and has a high kickback rating. This chain should only be used by experienced chain saw professionals with knowledge, experience, and specialized training for dealing with kickback. None of it is ANSI approved on saws less than 3.8 cubic inches (62cc).

Chains and bars designed to minimize kickback potential are available. These meet the ANSI standard and should be used on saws with motors less than 3.8 cubic inches (62cc) or on any saw that is consumer directed (non-professional use). Please call for more information. "

mdlmjohnson said:
partial quote....

Given a chainsaw's capacity for doing serious damage, I think that anyone who modifies a chainsaw for someone else would probably be liable to anyone injured if a court determined that the injury was the result of a defect in the modification. Whether it was or wasn't might be the subject of conflicting evidence (opinion or otherwise) and defending such a case might be very expensive, as well as risky, for the person who made the modification.

This would extend to HEARING damage... Saws have to meet ohsa specs for noise, and cutting big holes in the muffler most certainly affect the noise level.

what? say that again?

Back