Honesty in advertising, called out a little on Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

I visited your eBay site, and noticed a few things as a potential customer.

1. On some listings, you have a long description about who you are, about settling any problems proactively, that you are not an authorized STIHL dealer, etc. On other listings this information is not there.

2. A listing like "Stihl Chainsaw Rim & Sprocket, needle bearing 3/8", 7 tooth MS460, MS361, MS440" is misleading to me when it is not OEM. To me, that is 'keyword spamming' or 'search manipulation' and wastes a lot of my time clicking on these types of listings. A fairer way to list that item, used by a number of eBay sellers, would be "Chainsaw Rim & Sprocket, needle bearing 3/8", 7 tooth, fits Stihl MS460, MS361, MS440".

3. Looks like you have a lot of fun stuff listed. I'll probably check back, now that I know it is your site.

Philbert

2. A listing like "Stihl Chainsaw Rim & Sprocket, needle bearing 3/8", 7 tooth MS460, MS361, MS440" is misleading to me when it is not OEM. To me, that is 'keyword spamming' or 'search manipulation' and wastes a lot of my time clicking on these types of listings. A fairer way to list that item, used by a number of eBay sellers, would be "Chainsaw Rim & Sprocket, needle bearing 3/8", 7 tooth, fits Stihl MS460, MS361, MS440".

Philbert
subtle differences in wording makes a huge difference. like you i am not a fan of the first choice and prefer the "Chainsaw Rim & Sprocket, needle bearing 3/8", 7 tooth, fits Stihl MS460, MS361, MS440" for aftermarket. AM parts should be "item description......fits x,y,z brand" not "brand x,y,z....item description" then have to click to find out its AM.

Funny I just saw this, I actually had 2 of your kits in my eBay cart, and thought based on the description genuine oem walbro carb kits. I don't read descriptions very close though, but the walbro sticker in the pic made me assume they were the genuine article. Not that I really care either way at the end of the day.

Help me understand this because i can see where someone might be confused looking at you listings. http://www.ebay.com/itm/D1-WY-carbu...ngines-trimmers-blowers-gaskets-/221815238897 is this a genuine walbro kit or your sourced from the same factory kit with the walbro label
ok I can see it is confusing
All the parts in that kit come off of the same assembly line as parts that go in an OEM Walbro kit in the same building, it is however a Zama factory, the boxing is done in the factory and labeling after it leaves tat factory before it arrives to us.
I removed the W and T names from the listing titles but have not had time to re-photograph all the kits yet, I am tripping over piles of new parts here :)
DD

i have bought parts from you and they are spot on with walbro and zama. trust me you can tell the different between aftermark and oem. spray a little carb cleaner on them the aftermarkets role up in about 20 min. this is how i test the kit to make sure its good and you kits have always passed with flying colors i dont know if im your top buyer but i do buy a good bit of stuff from you and will help you stand by your product

Dave,

I visited your eBay site, and noticed a few things as a potential customer.

1. On some listings, you have a long description about who you are, about settling any problems proactively, that you are not an authorized STIHL dealer, etc. On other listings this information is not there.

3. Looks like you have a lot of fun stuff listed. I'll probably check back, now that I know it is your site.

Philbert

I am gradually changing all the listing to the long verbage but it aint a fast process sadly :)

If Stihl chainsaw is not the first two words of any parts listing you drop out of the first 200 listings in search result for the item, that sucks but when there are only 2 OEM items and 400 AM items, if you get buried on page 5 then your price, quality and speed of service and knowledge mean jack poop. There is a complex series of algorithms that Ebay uses to order search results. It involves feedback, shipping times, your price vs average price for the item, having all the right key words in the right order and how many you have sold.

If you let a listing end when you run out of an item it actually really hurts sales vs. paying for an Ebay store and being able to restock the item after it runs out.
Also if you sell out of an item and let it end anyone watching loses the auction because the new listing has a new listing number as well.

The Ebay system encourages keyword spamming really.

Any item I sell that says OEM in the title is genuine Stihl , Oregon, whatever. There is no financial benefit to deceiving a customer on Ebay for a seller. 100% positive feedback earns a small discount on fees that over time is worth a hell of lot. Happy customer pay better than unhappy customers :)

NOBODY here should in any way feel like they should buy from me, I came her to learn and continue to do so, a lot.
DD

subtle differences in wording makes a huge difference. like you i am not a fan of the first choice and prefer the "Chainsaw Rim & Sprocket, needle bearing 3/8", 7 tooth, fits Stihl MS460, MS361, MS440" for aftermarket. AM parts should be "item description......fits x,y,z brand" not "brand x,y,z....item description" then have to click to find out its AM.

In more recent listings I try to include the packaging in the pictures as well, so as to preclude the click in disappointment. Only so many hours in a day for essentially a hobby :)
DD

Dave I just wish you could get your website going again. So much better then FEEbay. :numberone:

I sooooooo wish I could make the inventory system work for two revenue streams like that. It was no end of headaches.
I am happy to take orders via email and guys can pay through the site but it is also slooooow.
Our Ebay system is streamlined, nothing ever sits here waiting to ship, once it is listed it is ready to ship in very little time.
Feebay costs more but for me it is worth it, and it is better for customers who don't like to wait.
I have folks who order every Tuesday for the saws they fix the coming Saturday on the other side of the country, it is a reliable efficient repeatable system, despite the fees.
damn this sounds like commercial, ignore me
DD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-MS250-Complete-engine-MS210-021-023-025-/221725063937

This one is a tad bit high.......

Did you really sell 23 of these?
23 on Ebay on that listing, I jacked up the price so nobody buys one until I get the quality sorted out with Farmertec, the stock I have on hand are crap
Part of the order of listings on Ebay is number sold so you never want any listing to end unless you will never sell it again.
You pay for listing that way but it is essential top sales.
Dave

i have bought parts from you and they are spot on with walbro and zama. trust me you can tell the different between aftermark and oem. spray a little carb cleaner on them the aftermarkets role up in about 20 min. this is how i test the kit to make sure its good and you kits have always passed with flying colors i dont know if im your top buyer but i do buy a good bit of stuff from you and will help you stand by your product
I appreciate that pro tip, I never heard that but it is way handy and uses something every shop has on hand.

I think handling OEM Stihl and aftermarket stuff side by side is always going to lead to a little confusion.
I try to make plain what any item really is and am not shy about telling someone when Aftermarket is just as good as OEM IMO.
Case in point AV buffer/rubber kits, Dual port muff covers, clutch covers, plastics especially on lower dollar or older saws, certain cylinder kits.
Other times it is a trade off of dollars vs quality and I try to give honest assessments on that too.

too much typing, dave brain tired, so ready for vacation :)

23 on Ebay on that listing, I jacked up the price so nobody buys one until I get the quality sorted out with Farmertec, the stock I have on hand are crap
Part of the order of listings on Ebay is number sold so you never want any listing to end unless you will never sell it again.
You pay for listing that way but it is essential top sales.
Dave
Just joshing you a bit. I let the listing end myself, until I get the part/parts back in stock, and just relist.

Just joshing you a bit. I let the listing end myself, until I get the part/parts back in stock, and just relist.
oh no biggie, I am just saying it you pay to keep it going you will pop up higher in the search results when you add inventory, just something to think about.
I like to see a good man make money :)

All the parts in the kit are made on the exact same assembly line that makes them for packaging in kits by the major manufacturers/labels we recognize as well as the major saw manufacturers, yes.
the first part off the line goes in a plastic bag with a nice logo and heads to your dealership for local purchase, the next part goes in a box for Dave.

More thinking makes me realize I just need to remove the brand names.
Software is changing the listings for me now, not worth the confusion.
DD

Dave I think you are being naive here. I have worked in manufacturing and I can tell you if we were making a part for company x the complete line is theirs. Even the scrap parts were destroyed so there could be no b stock. Also lets be realistic if I am making parts for the biggest consumer would I jeopardize that arrangement by making parts for you? What would it hurt to say they are excellent quality aftermarket parts.?

My Dad used to say that if things came out of the same factory, they were probably the same.

I used to work in a number if hot dog plants . . . and I can tell you that it is worth it to buy the better hot dogs!

Philbert

PS - Bailey's describes their bar and chain oil oil as 'coming from the same factory as the big boys' (or something like that). That may be a factual statement, without saying that they are the 'same'.

Back