Honesty in advertising, called out a little on Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
So I got a message from a buyer on Ebay and it has me rethinking my wording/description/policy.

The buyer told me my kits are aftermarket.
I explained where my kits come from but am now concerned about transparency.

I buy carb kits in bulk unlabeled from a factory of one of the big three in China. The factory has told me they manufacture parts for kits from all 5 of the major carb manufacturers. Since their purchase by a major saw manufacturer, some of the factories still have autonomy in regards to manufacturing contracts in place before the purchase and can still manufacture and sell complete kits without packaging. I have had good luck with these kits and happy customers. The labeling gets done at a separate facility before we get them and uses logos from the big three manufacturers.
My recent customer "I think" believes the logos are dishonest and thinking about it I may agree.

I list the kits by their common name in the title which includes the name of a carb company as that is how people search.
This is ok per ebay, just like listing a Stihl chainsaw part that is aftermarket with the model number and word stihl in the title.
In the description I list them as OEM manufacture, private labeling. This seems like the simplest explanation of a somewhat convoluted situation.

Should I list kits commonly known as Tillotson BG-98 without the word Tillotson in the description?

I am thinking I need to have all future labeling omit company logos for the companies other than the manufacturer.

Am I playing semantics, should I just label all the other companies kits as generic?

I want happy customers.
I want customers to understand what they are getting.
I want them to be able to find an item easily by terms they are used to using.
I don't want t o provide a roadmap to other parts suppliers or customers directly to my vendors.

Thoughts welcome on what I should change.....

Off to another day of my real job :)
DD

My recent customer "I think" believes the logos are dishonest and thinking about it I may agree.

In the description I list them as OEM manufacture, private labeling. This seems like the simplest explanation of a somewhat convoluted situation.

DD

Just trying to clarify.
These kits or the content of the kits are made by the same source as the main players Husky, Stihl, etc install in their equipment, at least in some parts of the world.

The quality control on these parts is not certified in any way by these main players?

All the parts in the kit are made on the exact same assembly line that makes them for packaging in kits by the major manufacturers/labels we recognize as well as the major saw manufacturers, yes.
the first part off the line goes in a plastic bag with a nice logo and heads to your dealership for local purchase, the next part goes in a box for Dave.

More thinking makes me realize I just need to remove the brand names.
Software is changing the listings for me now, not worth the confusion.
DD

Do you have a link?

The title is something like: Rebuild kit for Walbro model ABC carb?

Is it even worth selling on ebay? The last time I sold on there they charged over 25% all said and done.
We buy carb kits from Carquest usually (Primeline) and they are $6-7.

DD
I think it is great that you want the customer to know exactly what they are getting. That said, it would be nice if you could insert a "canned" explanation just like above about how the parts you sell come off the same line as the OEM parts. Much like gasoline in our neck of the woods. Many competing companies sell gas that all comes out of the same nozzle at the refinery.
I agree with your approach. As a buyer, I don't mind the use of an OEM brand name to get me to look at the item....especially if the end result gets me to an item that is truly the same part I would get buying the OEM labeled parts.

I appreciate your desire for transparency. I am not sure you are going to be able to satisfy the qualms of said buyer. I see no integrity issue with what you are doing. Perhaps there will be others along that can help you over describe your listing (in some ways that may be best when feedback is concerned). Otherwise, I would have absolutely no qualms buying an aftermarket kit understanding it is in the same quality line as you described. I could care less really -- just help me get the saw up and running with quality parts and I am good. When I do buy, however, I do want to know if the item is OEM or aftermarket simple as that. If you covered all the bases there I see no problem at all.

Can you be absolutely sure these kits are OEM? I'm not sure I could be unless I was a part of the OEM parts procurement process itself.

If not I think I might see the buyers point - to me, OEM can only be bought via an OEM dealer via that pipeline, otherwise as a buyer I would consider it to be aftermarket.

Pretty fuzzy world we live in though - who knows what goes on in the OEM parts supply pipeline.

A lot of laymen get hung up on the term "OEM", not realizing that big companies outsource a lot of manufacturing. Sometimes the big guys take on making parts in-house only to produce a lower quality product than something that was previously outsourced (i.e. Stihl-made cylinders vs. Mahle.)

A little constructive criticism never hurts though on one's auctions- but only if it's truly constructive.

Regarding the title of an Honest E Bay ad: The three letters "OEM" do NOT belong, unless the item is Actually, Completely, down to last quality control, OEM.

I hate digging through ads that state "replaces OEM...". It's either the real deal, or it ain't. Some things I don't mind buying aftermarket, I just want to know up front what it is I'm buying.

Not bashing, JMO, etc.

Walbro may have manufacturing facilities over seas, but they're still walbro. I see people calling walbro kits from eBay aftermarket all the time, even though they say walbro on the packaging. They're oem if they say walbro.
Same with the carburetors. Just because the manufacturing plant is in China doesn't mean it's a knock off.

Do you have a link?

The title is something like: Rebuild kit for Walbro model ABC carb?

Is it even worth selling on ebay? The last time I sold on there they charged over 25% all said and done.
We buy carb kits from Carquest usually (Primeline) and they are $6-7.

More along the lines of Walbro ABC carb rebuild kit, though as of this morning they now say ABC carb rebuild kit, I do not use the term OEM in the title except the kits I cannot get except from Oregon in OEM packaging.
I buy literally thousands at time, we have our costs in line so we really know what things cost inclusive of packing, fees, customs, postage, and shrinkage. We sell a decent number of kits. most of ours are in that price range including shipping.
I don't use links to our products here as it feels whorish to me, I mostly come here to learn stuff :)
DD

DD
I think it is great that you want the customer to know exactly what they are getting. That said, it would be nice if you could insert a "canned" explanation just like above about how the parts you sell come off the same line as the OEM parts. Much like gasoline in our neck of the woods. Many competing companies sell gas that all comes out of the same nozzle at the refinery.
I agree with your approach. As a buyer, I don't mind the use of an OEM brand name to get me to look at the item....especially if the end result gets me to an item that is truly the same part I would get buying the OEM labeled parts.

the first line of every auction description makes it obvious if an item is OEM or AM, we sell both on most items, we try to make it clear in the title but sometimes there is a limit to how much will fit

I have called out vendors for selling AM as OEM, it was a case where called and asked specifically because it wasn't clear in the listing and I knew nothing about saws at the time and they told me it was OEM Stihl and it was farmertec when it arrived.
I will work on a "canned" descriptor for the listings since it is more grey than I would like, now if anyone reads them :)
DD

Does that mean the ZAMA Chinese carb I bought is also a true "Zama" (even though I know it came from across the big pond :cool:)
Most of the grey Zama carbs still have the Zama logo defaced to allow export sale as generic (those are the good ones). hard t beat with the factory still providing a warranty, but the newer models will not likely show up like that. They will be copies by other manufacturers as the current Orange stuff is sewn up much more tightly contractualy
Dave

Can you be absolutely sure these kits are OEM? I'm not sure I could be unless I was a part of the OEM parts procurement process itself.

If not I think I might see the buyers point - to me, OEM can only be bought via an OEM dealer via that pipeline, otherwise as a buyer I would consider it to be aftermarket.

Pretty fuzzy world we live in though - who knows what goes on in the OEM parts supply pipeline.

I know the factory is who they say they are and have spoken to an Orangeman about the contractual language that allows these kits and carbs to be legally manufactured and sold from some locations.
At this time 99.99% sure though I have to always be wary of Tammy :)
DD

Regarding the title of an Honest E Bay ad: The three letters "OEM" do NOT belong, unless the item is Actually, Completely, down to last quality control, OEM.

I hate digging through ads that state "replaces OEM...". It's either the real deal, or it ain't. Some things I don't mind buying aftermarket, I just want to know up front what it is I'm buying.

Not bashing, JMO, etc.

I agree OEM doesn't belong unless it is OEM sourced made and labeled

I DO use language in titles like "Stihl flamethrower handle PF16 replaces 0000-111-2222"
lets the buyer know what item it is and what it fits for sure while denoting it as AM
DD

Most of the grey Zama carbs still have the Zama logo defaced to allow export sale as generic (those are the good ones). hard t beat with the factory still providing a warranty, but the newer models will not likely show up like that. They will be copies by other manufacturers as the current Orange stuff is sewn up much more tightly contractualy
Dave

The last one I bought had the logo milled out of the plate. Does your comment apply to these, just asking?

I know the factory is who they say they are and have spoken to an Orangeman about the contractual language that allows these kits and carbs to be legally manufactured and sold from some locations.
At this time 99.99% sure though I have to always be wary of Tammy :)
DD

OH TAMMY! :cold:

Latest posts

Back