Horizontal vs. Vertical Log Splitter Use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly?? No.
Resolvable?? No.

Everybody is gonna' make what they have work... and it's what you get used to, as well a physical limits.

I may not be able to convert you with words, but I'll guarantee that running my splitter for an hour would permanently convert you away from those other monstrosities.

First statement, 100% agreement

Second statement, nope. I've run those low to the ground splitters and don't like them at all. I much prefer the "table height" set up.

Doesn't really matter though; we still both go home with a truck full of wood. :cheers:

The capability of laying the cylinder and beam on its side makes it as usefull as a combination splitter. I see one drawback when using it on the side...if the log is close to or heavier than the splitter, the splitter is going to walk away from log as it is splitting.

That is 100% correct... and it will "walk" every time. The round will not move, the wheels allow the machine to roll sort'a pulling the wedge through. It's not a problem as long as you keep that in mind and plan accordingly... and the little machine is super easy to roll back into position. I mean... I don't position the large round to the machine, I position the machine to the round (with one hand).

I've run those low to the ground splitters and don't like them at all.
Doesn't really matter though; we still both go home with a truck full of wood.
:cheers:

Ahhhhh yes... but have you run one with a tall operating lever and 100% hands-free auto-cycle??
See, the only difference with that setup (when splitting rounds laying on the ground) is you set the log on the beam before you straighten-up, rather than straighten-up before you set the log on the beam. It's the exact same amount of bending and straightening... but with a whole lot less lifting!!!

Oh... and I've never hauled firewood in my truck :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I think that about everyone posting on this thread can agree on a couple of things...Large rounds take extra work. We all use something extra to make them manageable. It could be anything from a tractor, log lift, vertical splitter, noodling and or using a maul and splitting wedges. We are not in the mindset of passing them by, or letting them lay as some do in these parts. I get most of my wood by what others deem as "too big to handle" or why bother when you can find smaller stuff? There are many ways to end up with the same result, which is "staying warm"! I think we could all shoot holes in someone elses methods, but sometimes we can pick up a new trick or two along the way. I always look for a better way to do things.

I think that about everyone posting on this thread can agree on a couple of things...Large rounds take extra work. We all use something extra to make them manageable. It could be anything from a tractor, log lift, vertical splitter, noodling and or using a maul and splitting wedges. We are not in the mindset of passing them by, or letting them lay as some do in these parts. I get most of my wood by what others deem as "too big to handle" or why bother when you can find smaller stuff? There are many ways to end up with the same result, which is "staying warm"! I think we could all shoot holes in someone elses methods, but sometimes we can pick up a new trick or two along the way. I always look for a better way to do things.
Yes, really large rounds make extra, back-breaking work. Here's my solution to that problem, before loading the rounds onto the tailgate and before hauling them to the splitter:

Noodle cut to make two:

Noodle cut to make four:

Now load the truck:

Now split the quarters. Sometimes even the half moons are too heavy to mess with.

The first couple pages had me wondering WTH I was missing not splitting horizontal! I have a 31 ton MTD that can be used both ways for about 15 years now and can't remember the last time I used it horizontal. I don't have time to split my wood as I get it. All my wood comes from the tree work we do, gets brouht home and dumped or moved up the hill with the bobcat to be split later. I don't pick and choose, whatever came from the job I bring home if I don't give it to somebody else.
Like most of the other vertical guys I have a nice height round I sit down on and roll everything to the splitter, nothing gets noodled unless it was done at the job.
I've watched a bunch of videos here and even though it's just splitting wood or moving it around, most people would be bored to death watching that but it's interesting to me! I'm pretty sure I can keep up with most people working by themselves using a horizontal splitter if they're picking up rounds off the ground or noodling them first.
I can split a cord an hour by myself sitting down and tossing into a pile, everything from 10"-36"+ rounds, only thing is it gets boring after an hour or two and I'm not selling so no push to get more done. I only burn for myself 10-12 cords a year.

has anyone tried splitting diagonal? :jester:

I disagree 100%. This is the only way to go! Only I should have been in a chair instead of standing up and casting a long shadow.

until that Jeep is up and running...no chair for you!

Supposed to be in the mid 70's Sunday and I know right where a rather large white oak trunk is laying.
I might just get an inclination to try a few things.

Spidy,

I would be interested in how your auto cycle works. Does it have to go full stroke to go into return mode???

===

Never mind spidy, I did some more research into it and think I have my info....Thanks anyway...

Last edited:
Mid 70's is still way too darn hot for splitting firewood... ... ... unless ... well, unless you're splitting my firewood.
Yeah, c'mon over ta this side of the river, I'll buy the beer! :D

I wouldn't normally do it but I'd sort of like to do a little time trial so to speak. Plus it's a Sunday. What the hell else should I do? haha

This dosen't answer the horiz. vs the combo debate(nothing will) but a friend of mine told me what they did when alot of big maple,oak,ash or what have you had to be split useing a splitter.A trench was dug just deep enough so that the splitter beam was just above ground level. The splitter was rolled in, the blocks rolled up and the spliting commenced.

There will never be a consensus of opinion in this thread, or a Ford vs Gm, or any similar type thread, But the shared info of various ways of accomplishing the end result are priceless. Have great weekend. Chris

Mid 70's is still way too darn hot for splitting firewood... ... ... unless ... well, unless you're splitting my firewood.
Yeah, c'mon over ta this side of the river, I'll buy the beer! :D

Hell if the temp is above 60 this fat boy can wait for a better day!:sweat:

Diagonal!?!? HMMM...:D

I think we can all agree, this is the best! Heck, this first guy has his A/C on!
mini excavator with wood splitter - YouTube
360 excavator based log splitter and firewood auction - YouTube
That last one is a true LOG SPLITTER!

Very nice machines. I can't imagine the volume of wood required to pay for an excavator though. Certainly not my 6 to 10 cords LOL.
After much thought I think I would like or even prefer a horizontal if it had a log lift and work table. But those types of splitters are generally quite expensive and I got a screamin' good craigslist deal on a Speeco 35 ton. I think the Speeco is poorly designed as a horizontal splitter. Axle in the way of operator, no work table/cradle, wood can drop on engine, etc. I absolutely love it in vertical mode, and it will split anything I've given it. If it can't split a knot or crotch it just cuts right through it. I've put it through the ringer and I see no signs of bending or twisting anywhere on it. As others have stated, to each his own. I've found something that works well for me and my vertebrae are tickled pink to see rust on my maul.
Jim

Supposed to be in the mid 70's Sunday and I know right where a rather large white oak trunk is laying.
I might just get an inclination to try a few things.

Swing by and pick this one up... You may like splitting horizontal... :msp_rolleyes:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back