Horizontal vs. Vertical Log Splitter Use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I have been doing my splitting with it vertical since my wood is too heavy to lift up without risking injury to myself. If I bring home a trailer full of smaller stuff I will un-load it onto the horizontal splitter before I stack it. when working vertical I sit on a round and used my picaroon to drag/roll the next on over to me for splitting. It is much faster and easier than trying to do it horizontal.

For me it's vertical 99% (if not 100%) of the time. I'm with the few of you that don't see the big issue with working on the ground. To me it is WAYYY easier than trying to lift 100 .lb rounds up to the bed.
Spin em around and push em in.

I for one would not own a horizontal only splitter.

My splitter has a work table, at the right height for me not to have to bend over. Once a round is loaded the whole thing gets split without anything hitting the ground.
:chainsawguy:
Ditto,my horizontal splitter, 3 cub metre,trailer is an all in one unit, setup has loglift which also doubles as a logbench,it holds about 300 lbs of log rounds to process through the splitter at a time before u have to reload. I work at about just below chest height which is comfortable for me.The splits go on catch table then straight into 3 cub m trailer and or trayback truck.When delivered to client,I use long handled pickaroon to unload and just pull the splits off.No stacking.I never have to pick up or touch wood by hand after its split.Bending down only happens to cut timber into rounds and to load loglift.I noodle big rounds down to size,it,s much quicker and safer than struggling with huge,heavy rounds.I cut, split,sell around 350 to 450 cubic metres of hardwood every season.I also run a cutting,splitting service for landowners who have trees but can,t process them themselves.:cheers:

Well, first off you have to find a comfortable position to work in. In the vertical mode, I just sit on a round in front of the splitter while working. That saves all of the bending over, which obviously does a number on the back. On soft ground the base plate will sink in enough that pieces won't fall off. If on a harder surface, a piece of a 2x6 or whatever works OK. But there's no doubt that it's far more comfortable to split horizontally.

Now while the vertical position can come in handy for some big stuff, I hardly ever use it that way anymore, and much prefer to split horizontal. One reason is that after many years, it dawned on me that a round that was too heavy to lift onto the splitter was also too heavy to lift into the truck! :dizzy: Now when I'm cutting, anything big gets halved or quartered before loading. (usually with a 288 or 930 super with a 24") So, I hardly ever have anything big enough that I even think about using the splitter vertically.

Exactly. Over 30 years of 'wooding' hauling stuff home to be split. Not once did I have a chunk come off a truck that I hadn't put up there, ergo, if came home, I can put it on the splitter.

Just watching someone using a splitter vertical makes my back hurt.

Harry K

I guess I'm not gettin why everybody is so down on a combo splitter?! I probably am like you guys 90/10 maybe even 95/5, but dang it, that vertical sure is handy to quarter up some monstah rounds (like 1-2 minutes each) then finish 'em horizontal with the resta the wood pile. I take my splitter to the woods with me sometimes and a quartered (or more) round is the only way some of those bad boys is gettin in muh truck! Screw noodlin, too much time, mess, wear and tear on my saws, so easy with a combo splitter! :rock:

I have never had mine in the vertical - no reason to as I can lift anything on it that I hauled home.

Down on combo splitters? Definitely YES! since making one that can be swung up puts the running gear smack in the way of the operator when horizontal. I cuss mine every time I use it because of that. When I bought one I went looking for horizontal only but they were all about $1,000 over the TroyBilt and the like brands.

Harry K

I run my Huskee 22T verticle all the time.

I got me some of those contractor knee pads at lowes works like a charm.

Bending down on one knee is comfy now.

Splitting Horizontal I was always bending over picking up pieces that were halfed to split again.

Vertical saves all the bending over but if you dont have knee pads its hard on the knees.

As is getting up/down to get more rounds. Then your 'leverage' for adjusting rounds is at least halved when on the knees.

Harry K

Why is a horizontal faster than a vertical??
Well, I know I’ve posted most of this before… but I’ll do it again…

Making firewood (and I only make it for myself) is all about time for me… the faster I can get more done, the more time I have for other things. I never “load” anything until it’s ready for the stacks (or the firebox)… I do all the splitting at the cutting site, thereby leaving all the mess there also. Admittedly I have the advantage of making all my firewood in my own woodlot, which borders my yard on three sides.

My horizontal-only splitter weighs less than 200 lbs (I can load it in a pickup box by myself) and stores in less space than a lawn tractor uses. The beam (which doubles as the reservoir and about knee high) is positioned to one side of the axle, the engine on the other side. Because the engine and 90% of the cylinder is behind the axle they act as a counterweight, which allows me to easily lift the beam end with one hand (heck, I can lift it with one finger) and roll it around… even in soft earth. It has a 25-inch stroke with 10-second cycle time… and the “return” stroke is adjustable via a thumb screw to any desired length (which shortens the cycle time more). It is 100% hands-free auto-cycle (and auto-throttle)… just throw the lever forward and let go, the engine speeds up, the ram cycles (to the preset return stop), and the engine idles down. The valve does not have a pressure relief, and the small diameter cylinder operates at 8000 PSI… a true 18-ton of splitting force throughout the full stroke. With a low beam it is quite easy to sort’a “hook” a large round on the edge and lift/roll it onto the beam without much effort. For really large rounds the beam and cylinder tilt to the side (by loosening a single wing nut).

I almost never waste time and energy “moving” rounds; when I cut it just lays where it falls (sometimes I need to push some to the side a little, usually with my foot, so I can keep cutting). After it’s all bucked I bring in the splitter; I never “move” rounds to the splitter, I move the splitter to the rounds. Because the splitter is 100% hands-free auto-cycle I have both hands free to grab the splits as they come off the end of the beam and toss them directly in the trailer. I’ve never noticed the “low” beam as being a back-breaker… probably because the hands-free operation allows me to always be doing something else (and besides, I have to bend over to get the rounds… but I only need to lift them a few inches). Larger rounds are a piece-of-cake… I get the large round on the beam and throw the lever, after that I have both hands free to control the “off-side” half so it doesn’t fall, the “near-side” half slides off the end of the beam (away from my feet) and drops right next to me. Once I get it halved or quartered (depending) I start splitting off “firebox-size” pieces… using one hand to keep the larger part from falling, using the other hand to grab the smaller piece before it falls and toss it in the trailer. When the trailer is full I pull it directly up to the stacks.

I can easily (including beer breaks) take standing wood and convert it into a cord of stacked splits in half a day, two cord in a full day (more if I wanted to work harder/faster). Ya’ just ain’t gonna’ get all that done (felling, bucking, splitting, hauling, stacking) sitting on a stump next to an overweight, oversize, convertible splitter… especially getting up to move rounds to it. And it’s even more efficient when the wife helps; she controls/grabs/tosses all the wood coming off the beam, I put the rounds on the splitter, slap the lever and turn to grab another round… by that time the ram has returned and I place it on the beam, slap the lever and turn to grab… With her help splitting and stacking (after the saw work) we’ve converted standing wood into well over 3 cord of stacked splits before supper (including a lunch break) more than once (for some reason we just ain’t got to the full 4-cord mark yet… but we ain’t really tried either).

Heck, it's faster than splitting with maul or axe... 'cause you ain't "moving" rounds or "picking-up/loading" splits afterwards. I just move the splitter (with one hand) as I work, and nearly all the splits get tossed in the trailer without ever hitting the ground.

Last edited:
I like the work standing up straight. When I split rounds right off the truck, I can do a whole load without ever bending over. The work table on the Super Split is a very wonderful thing to have! :msp_smile:

I guess I'm not gettin why everybody is so down on a combo splitter?! I probably am like you guys 90/10 maybe even 95/5, but dang it, that vertical sure is handy to quarter up some monstah rounds (like 1-2 minutes each) then finish 'em horizontal with the resta the wood pile. I take my splitter to the woods with me sometimes and a quartered (or more) round is the only way some of those bad boys is gettin in muh truck! Screw noodlin, too much time, mess, wear and tear on my saws, so easy with a combo splitter! :rock:

You must not deal with the monster rounds that I do. When I get into something big it takes more like 5 minutes to wrestle it under a vertical splitter. Then once it is split I now have 2 huge pieces that are still to heavy to move and fight each of them for a few minutes to get them into something manageable. Add to that the time it takes to sit the splitter upright and My math comes up to more like 10-15 minutes to split a monster piece. A 60 cc saw will noodle it into quarters in under 2 minutes. So I figure I come out ahead by at least 5 minutes a piece. And I don't get the wear and tear issue as my saw couldn't care less if it was throwing chips or noodles. The combo splitter has to have the wedge on the ram so you lose the option of an out-feed table. For speed of production there is no comparison. I would rather split everything by hand than fight a vertical splitter.

Only 10 cords a year? I sold over 100 cords last year and have tripled that this year.
I found it easier to noodle them down where I can pick them up.
Trying to get a large round in by hand is way to much work.
But I guess if your only doing 10 cords a year, it would not be a big issue.
I am working on getting a small crane to put on my splitter to pick up a bigger round.

If I was doing 100 cords a year or any where near it I'd have more than a spliter I'd have a processer .

I'm shocked at how many of you prefer horizontal. Mine is set vertically all of the time, get a log to sit on, get comfy and go to town with my 10 cords per year. I cut up wood by the grapple load and the splitter is set up to one side of the load, so I don't have move anything to great a distance. If it's too heavy then I grab either the Kubota or a hand truck with nice big pneumatic tires, no problem. I haven't been at this nearly as long as some of you and I'm still learning. I think I've got a pretty good system going, but maybe I'm missing something.

I agree. I also do no more than 10 cords a year, usually less. I didn't think I would like the vertical mode but liked the option for large pieces. After splitting both ways, I use vertical probably 90-95 percent of the time. Pull up a round to sit on and go at it. Big rounds I just roll over to it, then flop them over flat on the end plate. You do need to lay down a 2x8 or something to keep them from tilting away from the beam. In horizontal mode I am constantly bending over to pick up logs. My disc-deficient back likes vertical much better. Plus I am 6'2" tall and those pieces that really pop when you split them are right at 'nad height when horizontal. Don't want to wear a cup just to split some wood.
Jim

I built my own splitter 20 years ago, and have done some major modifications since. It is both H/V, but 95% horizontal now. I am getting to old and fat to wrestle large crap on the ground and I can make much faster production standing up. I just can't seem to make the jump to a supersplitter yet, especially since I just sold the house and OWB, and we are going to rent for a year before we get the new place built. The vertical has come in very handy over the years on some giant oaks and I have a few to get split for a couple neighbors yet this year. Saying that, I generally sit on a round, run the splitter and another guy wrestles the rounds to me as I split. We don't make as much production as I do splitting say 16" rounds, but it's what the customer wants and how I do it for them. I have never had a problem with my axle being in the way, but I used a rear axle from an old hay wagon that give it a wider stance. I also mocked everything up when building it so I could get the weight distributed so it isn't too tongue heavy. With the high floatation tires on flat ground I can maneuver it by hand for several feet with out much effort. I intend to order a supersplit once I get back into full production again after the house is finished and save the hydro for the oversized stuff. Definitely going to miss the wood heat this winter, heating gas prices will probably spike to all time highs with my luck.

Why is a horizontal faster than a vertical??
Well, I know I’ve posted most of this before… but I’ll do it again…

Making firewood (and I only make it for myself) is all about time for me… the faster I can get more done, the more time I have for other things. I never “load” anything until it’s ready for the stacks (or the firebox)… I do all the splitting at the cutting site, thereby leaving all the mess there also. Admittedly I have the advantage of making all my firewood in my own woodlot, which borders my yard on three sides.

My horizontal-only splitter weighs less than 200 lbs (I can load it in a pickup box by myself) and stores in less space than a lawn tractor uses. The beam (which doubles as the reservoir and about knee high) is positioned to one side of the axle, the engine on the other side. Because the engine and 90% of the cylinder is behind the axle they act as a counterweight, which allows me to easily lift the beam end with one hand (heck, I can lift it with one finger) and roll it around… even in soft earth. It has a 25-inch stroke with 10-second cycle time… and the “return” stroke is adjustable via a thumb screw to any desired length (which shortens the cycle time more). It is 100% hands-free auto-cycle (and auto-throttle)… just throw the lever forward and let go, the engine speeds up, the ram cycles (to the preset return stop), and the engine idles down. The valve does not have a pressure relief, and the small diameter cylinder operates at 8000 PSI… a true 18-ton of splitting force throughout the full stroke. With a low beam it is quite easy to sort’a “hook” a large round on the edge and lift/roll it onto the beam without much effort. For really large rounds the beam and cylinder tilt to the side (by loosening a single wing nut).

I almost never waste time and energy “moving” rounds; when I cut it just lays where it falls (sometimes I need to push some to the side a little, usually with my foot, so I can keep cutting). After it’s all bucked I bring in the splitter; I never “move” rounds to the splitter, I move the splitter to the rounds. Because the splitter is 100% hands-free auto-cycle I have both hands free to grab the splits as they come off the end of the beam and toss them directly in the trailer. I’ve never noticed the “low” beam as being a back-breaker… probably because the hands-free operation allows me to always be doing something else (and besides, I have to bend over to get the rounds… but I only need to lift them a few inches). Larger rounds are a piece-of-cake… I get the large round on the beam and throw the lever, after that I have both hands free to control the “off-side” half so it doesn’t fall, the “near-side” half slides off the end of the beam (away from my feet) and drops right next to me. Once I get it halved or quartered (depending) I start splitting off “firebox-size” pieces… using one hand to keep the larger part from falling, using the other hand to grab the smaller piece before it falls and toss it in the trailer. When the trailer is full I pull it directly up to the stacks.

I can easily (including beer breaks) take standing wood and convert it into a cord of stacked splits in half a day, two cord in a full day (more if I wanted to work harder/faster). Ya’ just ain’t gonna’ get all that done (felling, bucking, splitting, hauling, stacking) sitting on a stump next to an overweight, oversize, convertible splitter… especially getting up to move rounds to it. And it’s even more efficient when the wife helps; she controls/grabs/tosses all the wood coming off the beam, I put the rounds on the splitter, slap the lever and turn to grab another round… by that time the ram has returned and I place it on the beam, slap the lever and turn to grab… With her help splitting and stacking (after the saw work) we’ve converted standing wood into well over 3 cord of stacked splits before supper (including a lunch break) more than once (for some reason we just ain’t got to the full 4-cord mark yet… but we ain’t really tried either).

Heck, it's faster than splitting with maul or axe... 'cause you ain't "moving" rounds or "picking-up/loading" splits afterwards. I just move the splitter (with one hand) as I work, and nearly all the splits get tossed in the trailer without ever hitting the ground.

Yours is the slickest one here by far, for what it can do at tiny size.

Wow...lot's of reaction

Y'all, never would have there would be this much response.

I don't have a ton of experience splitting but the other day the manufacturing engineer side of me got me thinking about how to be more productive. Thinking the faster we get through the wood pile then the faster we get to drinkin!!:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

I guess we had it pretty easy...mostly pine rounds in the 10-24in dia range so they weren't too heavy, but I could see how a big huge round would be a pain in the keester to lift.

It sounds like quite a few of you out there have some add on tables and racks to assist the loading of rounds.

What other stuff do you do to split faster?

Y'all, never would have there would be this much response.

I don't have a ton of experience splitting but the other day the manufacturing engineer side of me got me thinking about how to be more productive. Thinking the faster we get through the wood pile then the faster we get to drinkin!!:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

I guess we had it pretty easy...mostly pine rounds in the 10-24in dia range so they weren't too heavy, but I could see how a big huge round would be a pain in the keester to lift.

It sounds like quite a few of you out there have some add on tables and racks to assist the loading of rounds.

What other stuff do you do to split faster?

To split faster, my boss would just tell two of his goofs instead of one to get to it....

My splitter was originally a h/v unit, now it is strictly h after rebuild. Used in vertical mode maybe twice on big rounds, lot of wasted effort, more trouble than it was worth far simpler/easy to noodle down to acceptable size/weight. But I did like to store it in the vertivcal position as it took up less space. For me that was its only positive point.

I like the work standing up straight. When I split rounds right off the truck, I can do a whole load without ever bending over. The work table on the Super Split is a very wonderful thing to have! :msp_smile:

I agree, picking them up from ground level is way more work then from the trailer.
i do that if i have the time and dont need the trailer again rite away.

I guess I'm completely different as usual. I am 100% vertical all the time. But....I sit on a chair with a soft boat cushion. Even on a small round..always vertical..The log never leaves the ground when I split. I roll the logs to my splitter or use the grapple bucket on the big ones..I even made a spot to hold my beer and a small fan clipped to the cylinder hose.

Here is the key to it all..

I grab the log with both hands, resting my arms on my knees, then I do a toe raise while leaning back. The logs only lifts an inch off the ground.

The only caveat...splits pile up all around me in short order, cause I'm too low to throw them...then I have to move the splitter with the tractor. With shade I can split all day long.

Today was 100 degrees with 30% humidity...you could almost see the steam coming off the splits pile. ;))

Ok guys.. Your gonna have to clue me on. For those of you that are Horiz only. All I can think of is that you are cutting and splitting some rather small stuff. 18" or less. What do you do when you get into the big stuff. Noodling sucks and takes forever. I've done a bunch of it and no way is it faster than just splitting. I still have to noodle on occasion but avoid it at all costs.

I just recently cut up a huge ash crotch. Likely 4'-5' width across the longest part. It was branching with 2- 30" or so diameter limbs. I was able to noodle it one time down the middle and then split it up. Oh don't get me wrong. The two halves were a REAL bear to get tipped up on the splitter but I'll bet within 60 secs or so after the noodling I was splitting. I would have noodled for another 10+ minutes to make them light enough to lift.
How would a horiz been better for that?

I don't know. Maybe I'm just young and limber enough that getting up and down doesn't bother me.

Back