How are two cycle engines libtricated?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4pwr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the gas,oil mixture is injected into the cylinder to be compressed and ignited. How does this mixture get past the rings to lube the crank and bearings?

4pwr said:
As I understand it, the gas,oil mixture is injected into the cylinder to be compressed and ignited. How does this mixture get past the rings to lube the crank and bearings?
The mixture is forced into the crankcase by atmospheric pressure first. As the piston comes down, the charge is forced throught the transfer ports into the area above the piston, it is then compressed and fires just before TDC. The carburetor lets the vapourized fuel INTO the crankcase as the piston goes up the bore creating a low pressure area in the crankcase. This all happens 200 times per second. Neat hey? Nothing is injected into the cylinder unless you are talking about a Jimmy diesel like a 353.

Hers an animation if it will link, that will show how it is able to lubricate the engine and bearings. animation

Thank`s, I always assumed the fuel was injected to the top of the cylinder. Explains the whole thing.

4pwr this will also explain why seals and hoses (crankcase gasket, crank seals, pulse hose for example) that leak effect the engine so much, because you are past the carbs meterering and adjusting, so if the seals leak it will cause a lean issue with the engine.

Lostone
Did you do the animation yourself, it's a great job.I've got PhotoShop 7
down purty good,I just can't figure out AnimationShop Yet. :dizzy:

Mike

tenacrewoods said:
Lostone
Did you do the animation yourself, it's a great job.I've got PhotoShop 7
down purty good,I just can't figure out AnimationShop Yet. :dizzy:

Mike

NO WAY I just did a search for it, I thought it would help him.

Back