How big a saw do I really need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need a bigger saw.

My 52cc Efco does a great job, but I have often had to push it way beyond what it was made to do. I really need a bigger saw.

Much of my wood comes from a log processor, and it's often 36" and sometimes bigger. 30" is common. That's a bit much for a 52 cc saw, I think.

I burn about 5 cords a year, and most of the wood I get needs to be cut to length, so it's pretty much the same amount of cutting as if I were getting full logs of that diameter.

Well, I just got paid for some side work :clap:, and I'm ready to buy something bigger.

But how big do I need? I do need to stretch those extra dollars because there are plenty of other needs waiting in line. I know some of you guys can afford to just drop 8 or 9 hundred bucks when you feel like it, but I can't do that.

Will a 64 cc saw be a big enough jump? Can I get by with that? The Bailey's 64cc Makita is a pretty sweet price. I know, I know, the Stihl 362 will walk on water, and Tommy Hall would take good care of me, but I suspect he'd have a hard time getting close to that price.

From a price/hp perspective, that's going to be a hard deal to beat.

But is it big enough? Or do I need to get up into the 70 or 80 cc class?

Notice I said NEED. I'm not doing this commercially, and I'm not racing, I'm just a guy who burns wood, so a 1 second difference in the cut isn't at all important.

I just want to make sure I'm not pushing the saw past its design. Tools last longer that way. For that reason, I'm leaning hard to a pro grade saw.

Whatha tink? Is 64cc enough? OR do I need to go bigger? NEED, not want. Maybe hold out for a 372 or 441?

I think this is a bad place to ask 'how big of a saw do I need' :ices_rofl:

If you have 52cc's now, 64 isn't much of a jump really. I would look for at least 70, something 044 size, if you are getting into 30'' wood all the time.

I get a lot of larger stuff..30-36'' from a tree service, and my p41 which is 66cc's is not really enough.
Somebody is going to tell you that you need an 088 before the morning is up...

Are you thinking new or used?

Grab an old Mac 250, pretty cheap saws and will love to eat the bigger stuff.

Or check your local Home Depots for straight gassed 6401s. You could put the OEM 7900 cylinder kit on there and have a great saw for cheap.

I need a bigger saw.

But how big do I need? I do need to stretch those extra dollars because there are plenty of other needs waiting in line. I know some of you guys can afford to just drop 8 or 9 hundred bucks when you feel like it, but I can't do that.

Will a 64 cc saw be a big enough jump? Can I get by with that? The Bailey's 64cc Makita is a pretty sweet price. I know, I know, the Stihl 362 will walk on water, and Tommy Hall would take good care of me, but I suspect he'd have a hard time getting close to that price.

Naaaaaaaa I wouldn't have a hard time telling you no I can't match Baileys price, hell I don't think any dealer can beat or even match the mail order outfits in price.

A 64cc saw would be a big jump over your present saw. If you have gotton by with the Efco for a long time the Makita would be like having a new Caddy in comparison. Since your pinching your pennies you'd be better off to to check out the rental centers at Home Depot. They rent the Makita's and sell off alot of those saws at real low prices and from what I've seen of those saws they are usually in real good shape..

I like to keep an 80cc saw around. Small enough for me to use all day if my small saw stops. Big enough for any trees that grow here. Used to keep an 088 around but the old shoulders can't wrestle one of them anymore.

I have an 980 Oleo-mac now and Solo 675. Favorite had to be the old 064 I sold a few years back.

While 30-36" rounds aren't 60cc territory, you are only cutting 5 cords a year, and you are not doing the felling. I think the Makita will be fine. Just keep the chain sharp.

You can also rent a saw first and see if you'll be happy with 64 cc's or if you'll want the 7900.

Remember we are getting older Mark, them 80cc saws sure get heavy fast!
I love my little Husky 350, does 90% of the work now days, I really love my hopped up 046 for the times I HAVE to have something bigger. But I don't enjoy lugging it around!
If I were to do it all over, instead of buying that first Stihl 390, I'd have bought a 361 and I think I would have been settled. It's light enough you can run it all day, and enough oomph to get the bigger cuts done.
What I'm saying here, is I think you are on the right path with the 64cc saw. Personally I'd look a little bigger, maybe a used 044/440 or 7900 even a 372 if you can find one in your budget. You can just more bang for your buck with a used one, and those saws really aren't that much heavier that you notice the weight.
If you really want a "new" saw, the Makita is a fine choice, and I can respect that! It really sounds to me you need a 24" bar and it should pull that fine.

Remember we are getting older Mark, them 80cc saws sure get heavy fast!
I love my little Husky 350, does 90% of the work now days, I really love my hopped up 046 for the times I HAVE to have something bigger. But I don't enjoy lugging it around!
If I were to do it all over, instead of buying that first Stihl 390, I'd have bought a 361 and I think I would have been settled. It's light enough you can run it all day, and enough oomph to get the bigger cuts done.
What I'm saying here, is I think you are on the right path with the 64cc saw. Personally I'd look a little bigger, maybe a used 044/440 or 7900 even a 372 if you can find one in your budget. You can just more bang for your buck with a used one, and those saws really aren't that much heavier that you notice the weight.
If you really want a "new" saw, the Makita is a fine choice, and I can respect that! It really sounds to me you need a 24" bar and it should pull that fine.

Red where'd da hell ya been ole boy? The place has been dull without ya, post more!!!!

Mark,

A big +1 on the fried HD dolkitas if you don't mind the fussing over a build.

Also take a gander in the trading post now and then for a lightly used and loved 372 or 440, or even a 7900.

30" stuff with the little Efco is akin to digging basements with a shovel.
No wonder you're almost as cranky as I am. LOL!!!

Crap. A 372 will leave ya enough free time for the wife to corner you on painting the Bathroom, or remodeling the Kitchen...be carefull on this one.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

For the size logs your cutting, I'd go 70cc or better.
Go run some larger saws then decide.
If your not too far away come on over and run some.

I need a bigger saw.

My 52cc Efco does a great job, but I have often had to push it way beyond what it was made to do. I really need a bigger saw.

Much of my wood comes from a log processor, and it's often 36" and sometimes bigger. 30" is common. That's a bit much for a 52 cc saw, I think.

I burn about 5 cords a year, and most of the wood I get needs to be cut to length, so it's pretty much the same amount of cutting as if I were getting full logs of that diameter.

Well, I just got paid for some side work :clap:, and I'm ready to buy something bigger.

From a price/hp perspective, that's going to be a hard deal to beat.

But is it big enough? Or do I need to get up into the 70 or 80 cc class?

Notice I said NEED. I'm not doing this commercially, and I'm not racing, I'm just a guy who burns wood, so a 1 second difference in the cut isn't at all important.

I just want to make sure I'm not pushing the saw past its design. Tools last longer that way. For that reason, I'm leaning hard to a pro grade saw.

Whatha tink? Is 64cc enough? OR do I need to go bigger? NEED, not want. Maybe hold out for a 372 or 441?

Maybe hold out for a 372 or 441?

With 30" or bigger being common, hold out for a 575/576 or 441 instead.

The Makita maybe fine though, I would just want a litte bit more with a 28" bar.

Why not take a half day, get up with Tommy and Hoss and cut some wood. They should have just about every saw in that CC range to give you an idea of what is needed. No way I'd do mail order with TW Perry so close...

I say go with a 044/440.:D

From first hand comparison, don't get a 60cc saw. A buddy and I have been cutting a lot of 30"+ stuff and while his 362 with a MM gets through it, it's certainly faster running my 066 BB with a MM. I would look at anything 70cc+ so you can run a 28-32" bar on it and get through with one cut.

BRM - If money is tight, just host a GTG and have all those big log lined up. You will have guys tripping over themselves for the chance to put some saws in logs like that.

Why, you could probably charge admission and turn it in to a money making event. $5 per saw entry fee with 80% payout and your firewood is cut for free. Add log splitting demo's and all that's left for you is to stack it up.

Of course, then you don't have the pleasure of doing it all yourself...

Sorry, I forgot to address your real question. I have run a 25" bar on my 036 Stihl and think for the kind of logs you mention you would be much happier in the long run with a bigger saw and at least 28" bar. If you would consider a good used saw I expect Hoss or Tommy or Scooterbum could help get you set up. The 6400/7900BB would also be a good option. Since most of your cutting is going to be bucking up big logs without a lot a lugging the saw through the woods, a heavier saw is not really a penalty here. If you really want to cut for fun, do as Randy and other suggest and find a big old McCulloch or Homelite saw (did I really say that?). You fingers will ache, your ears will ring, your filling might come loose, but folks will really wonder why you are running around with such a big old grin on your face.

Mark

Last edited:
Back