How big a saw do I really need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want a new saw or used saw? There are husky 288's on ebay all the time. They sell for pretty cheap for being 88cc's. They go for around 400 or less.

mdavlee's 576 is also a SCREAMING deal. There selling on ebay for well over $600. His saw has no more then a tank or two ran threw it.

Wish I had the funds now, I'd be all over that 576. Will definitely be looking for a 70cc or so in the spring though.

-Sean

My 2 cents: I have 2 Jred 920's, and I love them. I bought one on ebay for $160, and another on AS for $200. They are 87cc and not all that heavy. I have a 24 inch on one and a 30 on the other and they are real runners. I also have a Makita 64 and it is my go to saw. I do 75 percent of my cutting with it, but the size logs your talking about I'd want to go to the 79cc option. The HD saw upgraded would be the way to go. JR

I like the idea of trying someones saw collection out and you'll find your answer.

I have a Mac 44D. Mark H said that it would be "slow in the cut" at one point so I was going to just get rid of it. Then....I got the idea to ask Mark to bring a 44D to a GTG. I ran his and slow is relative. Now I will be putting mine together to have something old, big, and loud to run and to cut wood now and then.

Thanks for all the responses, guys! :cheers:

I've gotten a couple of PMs, too. I'm looking at some saws from members here.

Based on the feedback, and comparing some prices, I have to say the Bailey's Makita isn't really in the running any more. For about the same price it looks like I can be in the 70+ cc game, and it seems like most of you think I really need that much.

I figure I need a saw that can pull 28" all day long, and once in a while sneak up a bit more.

Still open to more suggestions! :cheers:

Yes, Mark, you said the "H" word.
Seriously, you can find a good six cube vintage chainsaw fairly easily, not big bucks either. I aquirred two 790 McCullochs for $150, figure another 250 tops for parts and the correct B&Cs. I could cut anything on earth with one. There are many other makes and types, depends on which way yer bent. Detail oriented (anal) people tend to find Homelites, replating of screws is not unheard of. Those big Pioneers have a high cool factor. If you check for spark or temps with a bare hand or instantly drink that dusty beer you found under the truck seat, buy a McCulloch.

Yes, Mark, you said the "H" word.
Seriously, you can find a good six cube vintage chainsaw fairly easily, not big bucks either. I aquirred two 790 McCullochs for $150, figure another 250 tops for parts and the correct B&Cs. I could cut anything on earth with one. There are many other makes and types, depends on which way yer bent. Detail oriented (anal) people tend to find Homelites, replating of screws is not unheard of. Those big Pioneers have a high cool factor. If you check for spark or temps with a bare hand or instantly drink that dusty beer you found under the truck seat, buy a McCulloch.

Lol, right on

If you get a big inch old chainsaw, I would bet that you will drive two hours out of your way to saw something big. Last weekend I saw a Cypress log by Ferndale, big as a beached whale, sign said "free wood", get wood thinking about it. It would be a public service, I have no stove, my Ranchero can haul a chunk or two, I think I will call a church group, set something up.

I don't have much need for my 2100 Husky anymore, but when I need a "big" saw I'm glad I still have it. I do like my my 372XPW however!

Detail oriented (anal) people tend to find Homelites, replating of screws is not unheard of.

Heeeeeeyyy, Randy, now just a dog gone minute here. I haven't replated any screws in well... close to a year now. Truth be told, found a bunch that look just like NOS. What UB talkin' about this anal stuff! :)

Dan

a HD 6401 and and a $115 BB kit. you are still under ~$350 and a 044/372 won't come close to it.

Got my HD 6401 for $220..and the baileys kit..
now an 84cc saw with a new top end is a lot of :)
a "little" porting and i dont pick up the 112cc homie anymore !

Keep the ideas coming, boys. One thing I have decided, though, is I don't want to go vintage. I want the modern anti-vibe and air filtration.

Back