How Cheap Would Cordwood Need To Be For You To Buy Instead Of Making It?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the pricing for wood make me wish I lived somewhere else in the winter. We sell it for 70.00 a face cord if split down to fire place or stove wood delivered or 60.00 for a face cord if it is for a outdoor wood furnace as we don't split it down as small. Most of our customer's want 18" wood.
Those prices are for delivered oak and hickory. The reason it is so cheap around here is almost everyone cut's their own. We typically deliver in a 15 mile radius. We throw it out in a pile, stacking is 10.00 more a cord.

Come out here, I'll pay you $10 a cord to stack my wood.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
The disparity would have to be tremendous as I do not want to give oil companies one penny if I can help it. If I could not get the wood, I would rather pay some local guy to haul it to me rather than pay an oil company even if the oil is cheaper. I hate oil companies!:censored:

$60 a cord (2 pickup truckloads)

I'd buy it today fror $60 a cord (2 pickup truckloads) if I could get it that cheap delivered to the driveway. Years ago, I could get it delivered to my house for half that ($30 a truckload) -- in 4' lengths green that I cut to length in the spring, split, seasoned all summer, and burned. Now, if I can remember doing that, why can't I buy it today for twice that price?

Those were the good old days.

I wouldn't care how cheap it was because I enjoy the whole wood cutting process. Besides, what would I do with all my saws? :)

My woodshed is absolutely jam packed right now. It just looks a little better knowing that I did the work myself, rather than someone else.

I've only been burning for 15 years, and in that time I've never paid for a single piece of wood. Now that's a streak that I'd like to keep going as long as I can. It's pretty easy for me because there are plenty of loggers and tree guys that come in the store, and I can always score some wood. There's one guy who doesn't like to mess with the tops and I'm one of the 2 or 3 guys that cut them up and take them out. He drags them out with the skidder and makes it nice and easy.

Right now $80.00 a cord would look pretty good to me. We have a tough market currently with a lot of ads for $150.00 a cord cut, split and delivered. Oil prices are on the way up again and I am hoping to get $175.00 to $200.00 a cord for green, csd by the end of summer and $225 -$250.00 for dry by fall. It's hard to find a log truck load for less than $100.00 per cord at the moment. I have access to about 150 cords standing and plan to cut it all eventually, but I can make more money buying log length if the price is right when I factor in the time it takes me to get it out of the woods.

Maplemeister:

cheap wood!

here i would only pay 45.00 a cord delivered (100") ! everyone here these days are cutting their own and selling the extra. the average going rate on a 5 speices mixed cord is 175.00 fully proccessed. red and w. oak 225.00 delivered,stacked is an extra 35.00 per cord.

It'd have to be free. I like making firewood.

I wouldn't care how cheap it was because I enjoy the whole wood cutting process. Besides, what would I do with all my saws? :)

My woodshed is absolutely jam packed right now. It just looks a little better knowing that I did the work myself, rather than someone else.

I've only been burning for 15 years, and in that time I've never paid for a single piece of wood. Now that's a streak that I'd like to keep going as long as I can. It's pretty easy for me because there are plenty of loggers and tree guys that come in the store, and I can always score some wood. There's one guy who doesn't like to mess with the tops and I'm one of the 2 or 3 guys that cut them up and take them out. He drags them out with the skidder and makes it nice and easy.

:agree2::agree2:

Getting your own firewood --priceless. You couldn't take that out of my cold, dead hands. ( Thank you Charleston baby ).

Why would anyone NOT want to do their own ?:jawdrop: "Pay" $10. to stack ??!!! :monkey: 99 44/100 % of the "work" is already done for you. Whining about pick-up-sticks !!!!??? Where has the manhood gone ( not rhetorical ).

Depends on how much extra cash I have at the time. I have never paid for firewood yet but if it gets around $35 - $40 a rik then I'm tempted. The problem is I cut wood to try and save money. I can come across firewood easier than I can come across money. I just have to get off of my lazy butt and go cut, split, haul and stack it.

I can get a mix of ash and cherry for $100/cord cut and split. I have to pick it up (about 15 miles each way). Did it once then built a splitter. Cant justify letting my tools sit around while I pay for wood. Besides that, its one of the only things that gets me off of the couch in the winter months. Different story once fishin season starts. Come March I'm done with my wood for the next year whether the racks are full or not.

Last year I paid $10 for each pickup load from some tops. All oak and black birch. Close to home. Got several loads out of there before some free leads presented themselves. Still cutting out of a few of those places, though the cubbard's getting bare.

Time to set out some feelers.

Last year I paid $10 for each pickup load from some tops. All oak and black birch. Close to home. Got several loads out of there before some free leads presented themselves. Still cutting out of a few of those places, though the cubbard's getting bare.

Time to set out some feelers.
I've still got 12 cords in Nebraska and no place to stack it, either split or in rounds. I'm afraid that's too d__n far from New England to mean anything.

Wish you were here or I could ship it. :(

what's the cost for oil or propane for heating

Not to hijack this threat but I got a question.

In those homes out in the country with a oil tank...looks like a 100 gallon oil tank or maybe 250 gallon. The tanks tend to be right next to the house. How much does it cost to fill the oil tank? My parents own a farm in KY and the house they rent has this oil tank. I've been around it alot in my younger days and never thought about how much it cost to fill this oil tank. Whats the going rate to fill one of these tanks? How long does that oil tank last to heat say a 1,000 sq ft house if it was run from Oct to March? Would a person need two tanks for the 6 months? What about propane heating? In other words do you know how much it cost to heat a 1k sq ft house in the winter time with oil or propane?

I am asking this because back then I do not recall anyone cutting their own wood and even back then oil was still not cheap for the common farm family. I presume many people will heat their homes with wood instead of oil or propane now but it looks like many people are lazy. I was just wondering what it cost to heat a small country home wiht oil or propane and hope someone would know.

appt 1-1/2 cord of mixed hard woods for 175.00 orbest offer

1-1/2 cord of mixed hard woods cut up
some split for 175.00 or best offer
located in the lebanon,pa area

I spend $50 a cord already cut. All i do is split it! All good to great hardwoods! Local saw mill cutting crossties. I get the tie ends. Very clean to split due to no bark. Drawback is length varies.

Latest posts

Back