How come all hate for hydraulic splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squintacular

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 15 year old 34 ton brave splitter with an 8hp Honda that still cranks on the first pull! I can split 3-4 cords or day without working to terribly hard.

Why all the hate? Because people want to buy the latest fad in anything, including splitters. And then they like to complain about what a POS it is when it wears out well before they think it ought to.

Why all the hate? Because people want to buy the latest fad in anything, including splitters. And then they like to complain about what a POS it is when it wears out well before they think it ought to.

next thing yah know,,they will want someone, to bring their splitter,,and split all their wood for them.....................................:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I was just curious..... I'm all up for trying new things...I've watched videos on the super split and all can see is me picking up a 200 lb log to get it ready to split......I'd rather just roll the big bastard under the splitter and sit in my chair

Where's all this "hate" which you bemoan?

It's good to have diversity of viewpoints. And note I don't call you out for "hating" my mauls. :msp_rolleyes:

I can tell you for sure a super split isnt splitting the wood I get other wise if I had perfect little rounds id have one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

the only thing I hate about any hydraulic splitter is I can't find a runner for like 100 bucks used..

I love splitting by hand, nasty stuff I wouldn't mind machine splitting, rather bust them over noodling. I noodle in the field just to move big rounds, that's it. I noodle *some* at the splitting/stcking area but try to avoid it.

Boss has one I could use, if I fix it, and no desire to tear into a modern twin cylinder kohler to find out why it doesn't work..no thanks. Me no like, me like cheap briggs engines to work on... Plus, needs all new hydraulic valve controller thingee and hoses. I don't trust the ancient hoses on that thing after I found out what sort of bad news can happen to you if you are near one and it busts.

Too much loot and effort on my part, ain't worth it for the few rounds that are difficult to split that I get.

When it was running and I was using it though it was a beast. He built it in 1951 (second engine, that new kohler sure didn't last long...), will bust anything you can get on the beam, with the lift table. I know I have done rounds had to be pushing 400 lbs, including some whopper sweetgum, which is about as nasty as it gets for difficult wood around here. It retracts 36 inches, so you can run two 16s-18s long on it in series all the time and it busts them easy. He made it to bust long singles though, big fireplace wood, he has his cut at 35 inches..not 34, not 36, 35 inches.

I'm all up for trying new things...
Me too, for the most part. Thing is, these flywheel/inertia/whatever ya wanna call 'em splitters ain't nothing new. Most machines in the 1800's thru the 1940's and 50's worked on the same principle and there are still a few around today. I just used a metal shear that ran off a wide belt that drove a flywheel, which in turn operated a crankshaft attached to the blade. If the metal is too thick or too long it'll bind up the whole works. Most of these machines have been taken out of use mainly because they're dangerous and it's easy to get hurt when running them. It's archaic 'technology' that everyone thinks is something new. In other words, there's better methods.

Me too, for the most part. Thing is, these flywheel/inertia/whatever ya wanna call 'em splitters ain't nothing new. Most machines in the 1800's thru the 1940's and 50's worked on the same principle and there are still a few around today. I just used a metal shear that ran off a wide belt that drove a flywheel, which in turn operated a crankshaft attached to the blade. If the metal is too thick or too long it'll bind up the whole works. Most of these machines have been taken out of use mainly because they're dangerous and it's easy to get hurt when running them. It's archaic 'technology' that everyone thinks is something new. In other words, there's better methods.

yup dangerous for sure, but they work just fine:msp_thumbup: just have to have (the not so common) common sense to run em safely...
ive run some midsize (1/2") mechanical shears and (150 ton) press brakes, they work just fine but you better have the material where you want it and be ready when you step on that pedal
i prefer hydrauilc shears/brakes much more forgiving and can be stoped if need be...

No Hate Here

I certainly do not hate my hydraulic splitter. It has never failed to split anything I have placed between the wedge and foot. Mostly elm is what I get ahold of to work with.

As far as the noise of an engine running --- I wear ear protection and I barely hear it.

Would I buy another Huskee 35 Ton splitter-- yes if mine ever wears out. One improvement they have made since I bought mine -- they moved the engine to the opposite side from the operator.

Nosmo

Boss has one I could use, if I fix it, and no desire to tear into a modern twin cylinder kohler to find out why it doesn't work..no thanks. Me no like, me like cheap briggs engines to work on... Plus, needs all new hydraulic valve controller thingee and hoses. I don't trust the ancient hoses on that thing after I found out what sort of bad news can happen to you if you are near one and it busts.

QUOTE]

zog,,theres parts for the twins that show up regular on ebay...see if it has spark..ive replaced the coil on mine once already.. they really are a good engine. depending on how long its sat,,the carbs are a bit finicky on them. you may have to pull it,,and clean it out..the trash aluminum fuel bowls,,esp with ethanol,, have a tendencie to rot..the new replacements are steel,,and don't cost much

Back in the bronze are I had to hand split for a number of years until we could afford a splitter and what a God send that was to us.

Now 35 years later I have to be one of the most lethargic wood-splitters on the forum and I love my 25+ year old American splitter. I can comfortably sit down on a round and split those pieces that have been pushed close to reach for 20-30 min or so...then do something else.

Sure there are times when I run threw an entire tank of fuel but as a homeowner wood burner I don't have the production quota a money making outfit has so any production however minimal that sustains or adds to our 4 year out woodpile is an OK day for us.

The older you get a slower, more deliberate work approach has many benefits. Also for Joe Homeowner a slower hydraulic splitter is more family friendly imo anyway.

Why have a splitter that can out pace the operator? I'd rather have a slow splitter just like slow me. With only part of a heart I have to pace my self. I can split 1 round with an axe and that's all I want for an hour. I can split 20 rounds with a hydraulic splitter and I'm needing to do some sit down work or take a nap.

If you speedy guys live long enough you will know what I mean.

JT

I think it's all about the right tool for the job.

If you need just a couple face cords a year of easy to split wood or just love to hand split then a fiskars is the way to go.
If you split a few full cords of semi straight wood to keep your house warm all winter then a kinetic works nice.
If your chewing through a few full cords of elm and other tough to split wood each year then a hydraulic works nice.

No hate needed for any of them, just love the one you need or can get :)

Latest posts

Back