How common is the de-comp valve leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the strength to start all my saws without the decomp (except the 230psi 288, which I honestly thought was frozen the first time I pulled on it). I just do not have the tendons to harness whatever muscular strength I have left. Running a big saw all morning gives me a sore back. Yanking a cord on a big saw sets my elbow on fire (fahr)
dang straight,doc.....ive tried to start the 999 oly by drop starting,,,yeah, uh huh,,,NOT!!!

I did a Stihl 460 last year that had scored the cylinder because of a leaky decomp valve. I also did a Husqvarna 385 that had erratic idle it was also from the decomp valve that was leaking. Im losing trust in decomp valves. I just bought a new K760 the decomp is getting plugged!

I did a Stihl 460 last year that had scored the cylinder because of a leaky decomp valve. I also did a Husqvarna 385 that had erratic idle it was also from the decomp valve that was leaking. I'm losing trust in decomp valves. I just bought a new K760 the decomp is getting plugged!
That does it. I'm not even going to start my saw with a loose decomp valve until after I replace it. Loose could mean leak and leak means trouble. It's amazing how many devices and inventions we come up with that are intended to reduce effort and end up failing and causing damage to equipment that requires repairs.

Sounds to me like if you intend to use them on a regular basis, they should be treated as a maintenance item and be replaced occasionally....not just when they fail. Like carb kits and fuel lines.

I am probably in the minority, but I view the de-comp as an added safety device, as well as a device to save wear and tear on the recoil mechanism. Sure I can easily start any of my 59-60 cc Stihls and my Q-port 82ccs Macs without it but I can also much more easily hit myself in the thigh with the bar when not using the de-comp.

akdoug, I have several 125s and yes, if you like your hand and arm you will use the de-comp. I must add that my 125s are the most reliable starting saws I have. 036Pro would be next in line.

nmurph, stories like yours make me understand why the Doc prescribed me enough pain killer to kill a horse. I have been blessed and quit the pain meds on day two. Actually a double blessing because pain meds and I don't get along very well. I have had several surgeries and have learned a thing or two that works for me. The advice I give folks is begin the pain meds immediately as prescribed even if you have no pain and then quit as soon as you can. Doing this I have yet to finish a bottle. Previously I tried to tough the pain out and then take the meds when I couldn't endure any longer - talk about misery. I almost completely severed my thumb as a child. I will never forget the pain.

Ron

My shoulders are good...full thickness tears of the supraspanitus on both shoulders. And as painful as the surgery was for those, the repair of the labrum tear was worse. Take it easy with the recovery, it's easy to overdo it once you start feeling better. It takes a year to regain the full strength of the tendon where it is reinserted. Your soreness will be gone before then and it's easy to re-tear. The labrum was healed in a couple of months, but the post-surgery pain literally kept me awake for 36+hr despite the pain meds.

I just got the word today, left shoulder for sure, right, too but later.

But back to the topic, those valve will leak, thank you. I bought a bargain Husqv 288 once. Low compression. I got it home and found a compression release ON THE LEFT SIDE. The seller told me it had none and I was looking on the right. It was leaking. It is a great saw and now I have just acquired all the parts-- unbroken covers and such-- to take it to the prom.

They seem to leak more often than you'd think! I've heard plenty of stories of saws gaining 20psi after changing decomp, and have changed them on some of my older saws with good effect. I just get the brass plug from a fittings shop, it's a common part and easy to find. I don't use the decomps on my saws anyhow. Maybe its just me and I use them wrong but I find saws harder to start with the decomp and seem to need more cranking to get started. That damn masterminded 660 is a ***** though, nobody likes starting that. Keep meaning to get one of those big ass rescue start handles but always forget :-(

Latest posts

Back