How do I strap on my climbing spikes???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But on serious note be very careful using equipment when you don't know its history spikes fine, ropes never saddle????? This equipment will be the thing that seperates you from being here and taking a dirt nap, don't be cheap .

Not to bust on you but putting on gear has to be the easiest part of climbing a tree for a removal. If you can't figure it out you are going to get hurt, Guaranteed!! Besides you should not be climbing trees with spikes to gain knowledge. You will be doing a great amount of damage to the tree and it's future. Go get a job with a tree service or help out a climber on weekends. That's my two cents, use it or throw it away.

That's not sarcasm....'tis a true story. I just found it fitting for the thread.....

The straps go around your leg, not under your boot. I take a full wrap around the shank before I go to the buckle.

Being capable of wearing your spikes correctly may be a tad shy of what it's gonna take to keep you safe tho....

(that was sarcasm)

Ha! yes it was. I think the problem with my straps is.. I've noticed that most spikes have a metal ring or a smaller distribution strap that allows the leather strap to go around your leg at a higher point. The spikes I got just had the strap going through the metal welded to outside of the "sturrip". I added a metal screw down loop that will hold 500lbs each. I tightened them with a wrench so they dont come undone. Now the leather straps reach around my leg just fine.

I will practice a little tomorrow just to make sure this works better and then just probably end up buying a new pair.

By the way, I hope you are not climbing in tennis shoes. A pair of climbing boots, at least the last pair I bought were 275. I hope you live long enough to wear them out. Not being a smart a--, but I am afraid for your loved ones.

Howdy RickyTree
lol I'll take your 2cents!

Ya, figured someone would be all over that two cents. Man things are tough these days. Work is just starting to pick up. I don't understand why people feel the need to phone about tree work in the spring. I was climbing in -10 Celsius. I wan't too enthused but I was there and did that.

I just purchased a pair of climbing spikes on ebay and I cant figure how the bottom straps go. I cant get them around my leg so I have been putting them around my foot parallel with the metal part that goes under my boot. This doesn't seem to be correct and climbing is a pain this way. I think the strap is supposed to go around my ankle instead of around my foot. Straps are too short to go around my leg. Any pointers??

Guys this is the 101 section for beginners to ask advice from experienced professionals, there are no dumb questions, if you can only rip into people for not having learnt something yet you should not post here, post on comercial climbing and we will see just how much you think you know,,
otherwise beginners will be afraid to ask questions in case they lose face,
how are they going to learn from us ??

I consider a beginning arborist one who is already working in the industry having someone teach them the basics. Not a HO, landscaper or handyman who thinks he can pick up some spare change from buying a rickety pair of old spikes from ebay and jumping into a tree job without even knowing how to strap his gaffs on. Sorry but I totally disagree with you. See you in the commercial forum...

Knowing how to climb with or without spikes does not make you an arborist. 50% of the people on this site aren't "arborists" they're hacks. Hacks who may be great climbers, but hacks non the less. There is a lot more to tree care than removals and deadwooding or roof clearance. Understanding at least the basics of IPM and also young tree pruning, cabling, bracing, lightning protection, thinning, etc makes you an arborist.

Knowing how to climb with or without spikes does not make you an arborist. 50% of the people on this site aren't "arborists" they're hacks. Hacks who may be great climbers, but hacks non the less. There is a lot more to tree care than removals and deadwooding or roof clearance. Understanding at least the basics of IPM and also young tree pruning, cabling, bracing, lightning protection, thinning, etc makes you an arborist.
Are you serious or playing I don't know, proper tree pruning is one of the basis of tree care, if you do it ,don't try to downplay its importance thats the wrong message to send someone learning .

you guys remember giving me the same (well deserved) crap when I couldn't get my gaffs on right? Think that same story was in that thread too about the backwards spikes newbie.

Do a search in 101 for "spikes question" or something similar.

No one means any harm, but you can't blame the pros/semi pros for crackin jokes on this type of thing. No one wants you to get hurt either pal.

--Adam

What do you think would happen if you showed up on the job claiming to be a climber and asked how to strap your gaffs on or put them on backwards??? Think you might take a little crap from the crew??? I'd say that would be the brunt of many jokes for the next month on the job. No different here. Welcome to the tree care industry.

Last edited:
Hey i got an idea , everytime you want to talk smack to someone, start your sentense with yo treeclimber101 then proceed then no one gets offended. I don't mind taking the heat at all. lol Everyone knows I'm a hack.

well, I have never called my self an "arborist" so I guess I'm a hack cause I do removals and such...............but that's what I choose to do and it pays the bills so what's wrong with that?

you guys remember giving me the same (well deserved) crap when I couldn't get my gaffs on right? Think that same story was in that thread too about the backwards spikes newbie.

Do a search in 101 for "spikes question" or something similar.

No one means any harm, but you can't blame the pros/semi pros for crackin jokes on this type of thing. No one wants you to get hurt either pal.

--Adam
how soon some forget.

There's nothing wrong with being a hack. But if you're a hack don't call yourself an Arborist

Hea did you fellers ever see the aberriginy guy who ties a towel to each one of his ankles and climbs trees , hes no hack, when he gets to the top he uses a machety to cut coconuts , he was on t.v. racing a monkey and won wow huh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back