How do I strap on my climbing spikes???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing wrong with being a hack. But if you're a hack don't call yourself an Arborist
yeah.....but....I don't claim to be an an arborist, an arborist to me is someone that has studied what is it, horticulture and such, is that right and has all kinds of certs and stuff, I have no college education that tells me the right way to do it but again, I don't claim to be a certified arborist nor do I really consider my self to be a hack, I was just being sarcastic.

If you are in the business of managing woody plants by definition your an arborist, is a mechanic who only does oil changes not a mechanic???????

so if i'm not a certified arborist i'm a hack?

Knowing how to climb with or without spikes does not make you an arborist. 50% of the people on this site aren't "arborists" they're hacks. Hacks who may be great climbers, but hacks non the less. There is a lot more to tree care than removals and deadwooding or roof clearance. Understanding at least the basics of IPM and also young tree pruning, cabling, bracing, lightning protection, thinning, etc makes you an arborist.

all i do is removals and dead limbing.i never claimed to be an arborist.i know of plenty of certified arborist that should only be allowed to work in the desert.

or better yet...........

what about certified arborist you rent there certifications out to tree companies but they never set foot on any of the jobs? sounds like a hack to me.don't tell me it doesn't happen because i know for a fact that it does.

what about certified arborist you rent there certifications out to tree companies but they never set foot on any of the jobs? sounds like a hack to me.don't tell me it doesn't happen because i know for a fact that it does.
yea I know that happens alot .....

Once again not trying to make a smart remark but I will say this......
I have had to do limeman work in the army. I have been in several situations that require the on site self training of tree climbing. I guess its in my blood but I took the climbing kit and just scurried up did what I needed to do and scrurried down. I am no pro by far but its not as hard as Ax Men and anything else I have seen make it out to be

i have yet to see anything difficult on Ax Men.

i have only seen them climb part way up a staight stalk bean pole.

I just purchased a pair of climbing spikes on ebay and I cant figure how the bottom straps go. I cant get them around my leg so I have been putting them around my foot parallel with the metal part that goes under my boot. This doesn't seem to be correct and climbing is a pain this way. I think the strap is supposed to go around my ankle instead of around my foot. Straps are too short to go around my leg. Any pointers??

I read this and I instantly think: Darwinism.

Mahnertree, your ignorance on the issue should be evidence that you need some more formal training. This isn't a pissing contest and I don't climb trees, but I do have some experience rock climbing and can tell you that you need to get some direct instruction. If you can't figure out how to put a pair of spikes on your feet, what makes you think you're going to know what do do (or what NOT to do) when you're 50' up in a tree operating a chainsaw?

Again, I don't know the answer... but I have the foresight to know when to get help. Posting to a forum might be fine to get direction when you're cooking chili but for something as dangerous as using chainsaws while swinging from a multi-ton object... well, it's time to get direct consultation from a professional (i.e. in person). I think you're asinine to try it on your own with only a forum post and YouTube videos.

Sorry for the candid response, I just hate when people over estimate their abilities in any sport.

My ¢2.

I have had to do limeman work in the army. I have been in several situations that require the on site self training of tree climbing. I guess its in my blood but I took the climbing kit and just scurried up did what I needed to do and scrurried down. I am no pro by far but its not as hard as Ax Men and anything else I have seen make it out to be
I bet I could put you in a situation where it wasn't as easy as you think........

I bet I could put you in a situation where it wasn't as easy as you think........

Oh no doubt however I will say that a little common sense goes a long way. Tieing up cable and wire is by far different than doing tree work....however the principle of the climb remains the same

Hey You weren't jokin when you said "not trying to make a smart remark" actually the whole thing is hilarious!

I read this and I instantly think: Darwinism.

Mahnertree, your ignorance on the issue should be evidence that you need some more formal training. This isn't a pissing contest and I don't climb trees, but I do have some experience rock climbing and can tell you that you need to get some direct instruction. If you can't figure out how to put a pair of spikes on your feet, what makes you think you're going to know what do do (or what NOT to do) when you're 50' up in a tree operating a chainsaw?

Again, I don't know the answer... but I have the foresight to know when to get help. Posting to a forum might be fine to get direction when you're cooking chili but for something as dangerous as using chainsaws while swinging from a multi-ton object... well, it's time to get direct consultation from a professional (i.e. in person). I think you're asinine to try it on your own with only a forum post and YouTube videos.

Sorry for the candid response, I just hate when people over estimate their abilities in any sport.

My ¢2.

Wow

Not to bust on you but putting on gear has to be the easiest part of climbing a tree for a removal. If you can't figure it out you are going to get hurt, Guaranteed!! Besides you should not be climbing trees with spikes to gain knowledge. You will be doing a great amount of damage to the tree and it's future. Go get a job with a tree service or help out a climber on weekends. That's my two cents, use it or throw it away.

I must be doing it wrong, maybe just need a leg up. Once its all on and ready is when things get easier for me. Mostly its the bending down and the trying to get your feet through without falling over. I find it very hard to put the spikes on after lunch. Oooof. I was thinking of getting a stool the groundies could set up for me for putting on my spikes and taking breaks in between rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back