How do I strap on my climbing spikes???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be doing it wrong, maybe just need a leg up. Once its all on and ready is when things get easier for me. Mostly its the bending down and the trying to get your feet through without falling over. I find it very hard to put the spikes on after lunch. Oooof. I was thinking of getting a stool the groundies could set up for me for putting on my spikes and taking breaks in between rounds.

LOL, I resemble that remark...

I must be doing it wrong, maybe just need a leg up. Once its all on and ready is when things get easier for me. Mostly its the bending down and the trying to get your feet through without falling over. I find it very hard to put the spikes on after lunch. Oooof. I was thinking of getting a stool the groundies could set up for me for putting on my spikes and taking breaks in between rounds.

Ya I know what you mean. The head rush and the stars when you straighten up! It was a figure of speach Treemandan! You know I got the skills to pay the BILLS!

Ya I know what you mean. The head rush and the stars when you straighten up! It was a figure of speach Treemandan! You know I got the skills to pay the BILLS!

I know and I just didn't want you thinking you had me fooled saying it was easy.:laugh:

but I thought about getting sumpin to set on whilst I lace up. That whole getting dizzy putting on the spikes is getting old. Sometimes its like 3 or 4 times a day. You know, I can climb with having a strap set in the wrong hole but I really hate it.

i love when people with no answer have the most to say.

I would like to say that since I originally posted the question I have successfully climbed and cut down over 12 trees for different people. I climb with a safety rope around the tree and sometimes I also have a rope to a higher secure point with a belayer controlling my ascent/descent. I have a safety rope from my climbing belt attached to my Stihl MS200T so it cant fall and hit anyone. I rope all branches at least once and sometimes twice before cutting them free of the tree (if their size dictates the need for ropes). I also have a rope directly tied to the branch going to a ground crew member to help steer it in the desired direction while another member slowly lowers it with the aforementioned ropes. Safety first!

I guess my original post should have been.. I know how to strap on my spikes, however the straps are too short for what I need them to do. Are my spikes missing something or do I just simply need longer straps? I found out from this forum that either would solve the problem. I opted to add a metal ring so the leather straps would go around my ankle at an even and parallel point to the ground.. rather than getting longer straps and having them all twisted and turned around my ankles.

I'm not completely clueless in this area. I've watched several climbers and worked with a few back in my teen years (never actually climbed) I'm much older now and that knowledge wasn't retained.. so I'm re-learning it again. I have found that the biggest challenge is being comfortable with heights. I don't think any of this is worth falling out of a tree and killing myself over so I don't do anything I'm not comfortable with. There is good money in this specific profession.. as long as everything goes as planned!

So the next time you feel you want to give advice about something you know nothing about. Why don't you try that smart ass mouth out in front of my face. I love how big your balls are online 1000 miles away from me. You just find it too hard to offer advice to another human in an informative way without belittling them. I'm on here for help and advice on a subject so that I can get some know how BEFORE I put myself in a potentially dangerous situation.

I would suggest that you take your advice to a rock climbing forum and quit wasting my time here. Why are you even offering adivce in this forum? Go get a job if you have that much time on your hands that you need to stir up drama.

OH.. who knows.. maybe you just had a fight with your boyfriend and you wanted to vent on arboristsite forums.

I read this and I instantly think: Darwinism.

Mahnertree, your ignorance on the issue should be evidence that you need some more formal training. This isn't a pissing contest and I don't climb trees, but I do have some experience rock climbing and can tell you that you need to get some direct instruction. If you can't figure out how to put a pair of spikes on your feet, what makes you think you're going to know what do do (or what NOT to do) when you're 50' up in a tree operating a chainsaw?

Again, I don't know the answer... but I have the foresight to know when to get help. Posting to a forum might be fine to get direction when you're cooking chili but for something as dangerous as using chainsaws while swinging from a multi-ton object... well, it's time to get direct consultation from a professional (i.e. in person). I think you're asinine to try it on your own with only a forum post and YouTube videos.

Sorry for the candid response, I just hate when people over estimate their abilities in any sport.

My ¢2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back