How do you maintain your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright its easy enough to take back off. I couldnt see anything is it hard to see or hook back up?

Should be able to see it if it is clean in there (blow it out with compressed air). Or look for it with a flashlight. Or run a toothpick or small screwdriver around the clutch rim until you find it.

The notch in the clutch drum rim just slides over the wire.

Philbert

Should be able to see it if it is clean in there (blow it out with compressed air). Or look for it with a flashlight. Or run a toothpick or small screwdriver around the clutch rim until you find it.

The notch in the clutch drum rim just slides over the wire.

Philbert

Thanks Phil it was just kind of dark and I didnt see it ill get a flash light. I bet it engaged anyway cause I turned it by hand when putting it on but ill check to make sure,

Last edited:
I fixed it heres the wire.
MS360043.jpg

Also greased the roller bearing a bit.
MS360040.jpg

After giving my Ms250 a real good washing, especially on the clutch side I'm wondering if there are any parts I should be lubricating on the saw before I put it back together? If so what sort of lube/oil is recommended?

On another note I used 400 grit sandpaper to remove a bunch of ground in dirt on the orange parts of the saw, as expected when it dries it leaves a white patch on the plastic. I've used carnuba wax (mothers brand) to buff it up, but the results were not what I was hoping for. Others have used turtle wax etc... will this be any better? or is there a specific plastic polish?

Cheers Rusty?

P.S how do I attach a photo so that it appears on the post and you don't have to click on it?:greenchainsaw:

After giving my Ms250 a real good washing, especially on the clutch side I'm wondering if there are any parts I should be lubricating on the saw before I put it back together? If so what sort of lube/oil is recommended?
See post #59, above. Dry the parts with compressed air and / or WD-40 to prevent rusting.

On another note I used 400 grit sandpaper to remove a bunch of ground in dirt on the orange parts of the saw, as expected when it dries it leaves a white patch on the plastic. I've used carnuba wax (mothers brand) to buff it up, but the results were not what I was hoping for. Others have used turtle wax etc... will this be any better? or is there a specific plastic polish?

If you search through the chain saw threads in the A.S. forum you will see a number of threads on restoring saws, painting plastic parts, polishes, etc.

Philbert

hm one thing, i wouldnt use sand paper to clean my saw lol. get a rag and use de-greaser this works much better.

Use the dishwasher on parts that you have trouble getting really clean - like real dirty (not dusty) air filters.

Yup, did the car wash and dishwasher and it turned out great. Should I be lubing any parts up while I have the covers off, should I be removing the clutch cover to look inside. If so what should I look for, my clutch cover is very scratched and sorta rusty looking.

hm one thing, i wouldnt use sand paper to clean my saw lol. get a rag and use de-greaser this works much better.

+1. Old toothbrush and citrus de-greaser, Fantastik, 409, etc..
Yup, did the car wash and dishwasher and it turned out great. Should I be lubing any parts up while I have the covers off, should I be removing the clutch cover to look inside. If so what should I look for, my clutch cover is very scratched and sorta rusty looking.

If you did the car wash and dishwasher route, how are you / were you planning on drying behind the clutch cover without removing it?

Please read the earlier posts in this thread on removing/replacing the clutch cover.

Philbert

Holy cats... you guys fawn over these things like they are a show car...

There's my knuckledragger personality comin' out again... I guess I just don't get it... :dizzy:

Gary

Holy cats... you guys fawn over these things like they are a show car...

There's my knuckledragger personality comin' out again... I guess I just don't get it... :dizzy:

Gary

:agree2:

There certainly is a difference between maintaining tools and going anally overboard.

My tools are treated hard as tools, but last me many years. Same goes for my truck... She aint purdy, but she works and works and works. :cool:

I don't think I'm going overboard myself, but I do like to keep my tools etc.. in good shape. This MS250 has had a pretty rough life by the looks of it. Just trying to get it lookin somewhat new. I guess polishing plastic is a bit anal. but since I've gone and used sandpaper on it to get out marks, I'm stuck with trying to get it looking orange again (pics attached don't show how white it looks). The sandpaper sure did a number on it. I know I had read other using 400 grit to get out scratches. I might have to paint the covers.

I've heard the rustoleum orange is a close match to Stihl orange, might have to go that route. Guess I got a little carried away, hoping to make it all shiny and new.

I can certainly understand that many guys wouldn't bother as they use there saws daily and give them a real work out. This 250 will be used for camping and or strap onto a ATV.

All you guys rinse your air filters with compressed air, but out in the woods we just run ether or gas through it the bass ackwards way to clean emm out. And thats pretty much all the maintence we do. Clean the chips out of the bar cover if were splitting logs to big for the mill.

I was thinking about replacing my pistol with my saw next to the night stand for home defense. ;) Also I actually like the smell of gas and 2-stroke exhaust on my clothes after im done for the day. Too bad the ladys dont find it very appealing.
You may be doing that sooner than you think anyway.:mad:

Just bought a new compressor myself for blowing off my saws. The one I had gave out a few years ago so this gave me an reason to buy a new one(plus brake cleaner was getting kinda expensive when you figure at least 2 cans per saw). I still may need to use some for real caked up areas but at least I wont be using as much now.

Holy cats... you guys fawn over these things like they are a show car... There's my knuckledragger personality comin' out again... I guess I just don't get it... Gary

Nuzzy said:
There certainly is a difference between maintaining tools and going anally overboard. My tools are treated hard as tools, but last me many years. Same goes for my truck... She aint purdy, but she works and works and works.

No question that there are a range of users on this site. From the: 'use 'em up and grab another one', to: 'keep it in a glass display case'. The key thing is to make sure guys at one end of the spectrum don't loan their tools out to guys at the other end.

I enjoy tools and get satisfaction from cleaning and maintaining them, although I do not have the skills that some of the restorer guys on this site have. Keeping the saws clean lets me look them over for cracks, loose or missing fasteners, wear, etc.

Philbert

I like to keep my tools clean and in nice shape specially ones that have an engine and cost $600+.

To the previous poster that used 400 grit on the plastic like some others said that was prob not a good idea. You would need to go finer grit and polish it up to get it too look good. I never tried to polish plastic before though. Im sure you can buy them new also if you want.

You can polish most plastics. Flatten, then go to finer grades of paper, always sanding with water. Finish up with a reducing abrasive paste like cutting paste, finally with T-cut or brasso.

one thing you won't do is match to an existing finish. It's extremely difficult, better to do the whole plastic and have a uniform finish, if not an original one.

Back