How do you set points on a 070

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I need to adjust points on my 070, I had them off to clean them, but once you put the flywheel on, the lobe is part of the flywheel, at TDC they should be open .016 I think. But the holes in the flywheel don't line up with the points when the lobe is contacting the points arm?????? WTF??

Someone will come along with the correct answer soon,in the meantime, I believe that Stihl made a special jig or tool that you placed on the crank instead of the flywheel to set the points.

I think there's a work-around for setting them without the tool,I've just been on a search for "setting points".Haven't found any 070 specific threads,only 028,031,041 etc.Lakeside mentions cutting away an old flywheel to make your own tool,probably not an option in this case.

In one post,Fish mentioned taking the saw into the dealer,with the flywheel off and points cleaned,and having them do it.Small fee or maybe free to a regular customer.

Last edited:
I think there's a work-around for setting them without the tool,I've just been on a search for "setting points".Haven't found any 070 specific threads,only 028,031,041 etc.Lakeside mentions cutting away an old flywheel to make your own tool,probably not an option in this case.

Ya, I don't have any extras lying around.

No,I doubt that there are any "junk" 070 or 090 flywheels to be had anywhere.I'm surprised Lake hasn't shown up on this thread yet.

Just a guess (don't know if it's possible), did you remove the stator plate and put it back on in a different position?
The book says the timing is adjustable by rotating the stator plate.
If you or someone else removed it the timing may be out of whack.

Just a guess (don't know if it's possible), did you remove the stator plate and put it back on in a different position?
The book says the timing is adjustable by rotating the stator plate.
If you or someone else removed it the timing may be out of whack.

Nope, never moved it. I knew not to mess with that, I only took the points off to clean them up. I didn't think it would be a big deal to set them.

I take them to my 40 year veteran saw mechanic. He sets them for me. Does that help Will? LOL, anyhow, he has a tester for the coil and condensor, and also he sets the timing with a radio he made. It makes a sound at the right spot. Didn't pay TOO much attention, since I don't have any of it, and he is really close by. So you coming up WILL? Im just 4 hours away, Dave.

Is there any way you can measure the height of the lobe on the flywheel and then place a block the same height as the lobe and set them that way? Just thinking that you could get into the vicinity of the gap and then use a feeler gauge to make up the diff on the block. I'm just thinking out loud and sometimes should keep my mouth shut.

I take them to my 40 year veteran saw mechanic. He sets them for me. Does that help Will? LOL, anyhow, he has a tester for the coil and condensor, and also he sets the timing with a radio he made. It makes a sound at the right spot. Didn't pay TOO much attention, since I don't have any of it, and he is really close by. So you coming up WILL? Im just 4 hours away, Dave.

ha ha, ya that would be cool, would love to come check out all your old saws. Maybe sometime.

Okay BIG UPDATE!!! It runs. I just went back out tonight, and had another look, turns out the hole in the flywheel does line up, took me a few times on and off to adjust them, got them to .016. Put it all back together, and the dang thing runs on first 6 pulls. It roard to life, seemed to cut in and out, thought it was the governor maybe?? But then smoothed out a bit. I threw on the bar and chain and cut a few cookies, vids uploading now, the chain was real dull, didn't have time to sharpen, it was getting late, and its not like I live in the country, ha ha. Anyway vids are coming soon, just uploading now. Here are a couple pics. I'm real happy to get this done, now on to the next one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back