How do you store your spiltter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickochet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a Speeco 22 ton splitter and I am cramped on space until I build a new barn. I am looking for ideas to store my splitter from you who seem to be pros at making the best no matter what the situation. How about posting some pictures of your splitter storage methods?

Thanks!

25+ yo American splitter outside under lean-to with a tarp over it full of fuel. Change oil every spring or summer before use to get accumulated moisture out of it.

If you have to store it outside, the most important thing is to keep the cylinder fully retracted, to prevent rust on the cylinder rod which will lead to leaking/blown seals.

A good upholstery shop should be able to make you a fitted tarp for it if that's the direction you're looking to go for now.

My old splitter lives outside, other than cosmetic issues, no problems due to weather.

You can just leave it out, throw a tarp on it when its rains or snows, traps can and will hold in moisture so keep it dry.

I keep mine inside things tend to age a whole lot quicker stored outside no matter how carefull you are find room inside if you can they dont take up that much space.

I do have a cover for the engine that I use when I tow it to the trees to keep the air filter and starter clean. hth

Kansas

Am actually suprised to see so many people storing it outdoors.

27Ton TryBilt 1 day old. I keep it outside under tarp if temps stay above 35 and no rain/snow.

It was 11pm last night after a long day of wine and turkey and I realized it was going to rain at 3am thereon. So I went outside, took the tarp off and rolled it into my Garage.

I got a 2 car garage which I only use 1 side to park the car. The other side is all power equipment until I get my shed.

Speaking of which...I need to draw up a bigger shed now. :)

How do you store your spiltter?

Usually in the storage shed, right next to the dethatcher, spreader, 2 lawnmowers. And then the tractor parked in front of everything

Right now its in the shop because i was thinking i would be splittin more wood with it 3 weeks ago on a weekend so i left it hooked up to the rider but seems like something is always happening..If its not in use for a few days then it gets put uner a roof. If stored outside overnight i got a tin can/bucket that goes over the engine

Outside with a plastic tote over the engine. Thought about it before I got a splitter and while I was looking at new splitters it dawned on me if they store the new ones outside before selling them with no cover or anything why not my used one. So far no problems. I have been using fuel stabilizer for marine use ever since all the gas pumps around here started smelling like alcohol, so I don't even bother with draining the fuel like I use to. Just keep the tank fairly full.

Edit to say I do have a log chain around it and a nearby tree, as well as the hitch removed.

I used to use an old galvanized wash tub over the motor/pump. As others stated, always keep the ram in.

I built a "patio" with free pavers (from Freecycle!), and there it sits. I do most of my splitting right there.

I have a heavy tarp over it, from a military generator. I cut a piece off of it to cover the splitter. It's MUCH heavier than any tarp you could buy from Northern Tool or similar stores.

The way things have got to be around here of late the most important point about storage (outdoor) to to make sure the splitter chained and locked to a tree of good size that is within 12-gage range of the house. Ours is about half that distance.

I store mine on the back wall of the garage. I put the splitter in the vertical position and unbolt the tongue. I then clip the tongue to the splitter beam. It takes up a lot less room this way but it could be tipped over if you're not careful. A rope or a chain attached to the top of the splitter and anchored to the wall will insure that it's not going anywhere.

Mine stays outside with a tarp over it. The cylinder is always retracted even if I stop the splitter 4 a few minutes. It's still going strong and was built in 93 and is on it's second engine.

Ours is outside with a tarp over the lifting boom so it makes a nice roof. The oil was changed, battery is fully charged, Seafoam in the gas tank, and the whole rig is resting on the jacks so the wheels are off the ground. Now it can hibernate for the winter.
It served us well for another cutting season. :clap:

I store mine under an old bed liner from a pick up truck. I also keep the tires off the ground (up on blocks) during the winter months if I am sure that I will not be using it.

Latest posts

Back