How Hard are Black Locust Trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Mail-woman has asked me to come take a look at about 50 to 100 Black Locust trees she needs removed from her Horse's Grazing area, mostly all out in the open, easy to remove, and fairly young. My question is, Is Black Locust a hard wood, and if so, how hard is it or what could it be compared to?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/V2-432.html

Black locust wood has a large portion of uniformly distributed libriform fibers which confers great strength to wood. It has an average specific gravity of 0.68 compared to other North American hardwoods which average 0.51. Its average fiber length is 1.05 mm, slightly shorter than other hardwoods which average 1.13 mm. The central stem or pith of young black locust has a fiber length of 0.75 mm and specific gravity of 0.57, still well above the average mature hardwood values.

Five Best Burning Species
Hickory - 31 to 32 mm btu/cord
Oak - 30 to 31 mm btu/cord
Black Locust - 28 mm btu/cord
Beech - 27 mm btu/cord
Elms/Maples - 21 to 26 mm btu/cord

Last edited:
If you are wanting to split and sell it for firewood, I'd say it falls in somewhere around Hickory and Elm. Very stringy wood. As far as burn quality goes... I'd say it's around Hickory / Ash. Value wise... it's less than pine.

stihlatit said:
Black locust wood has a large portion of uniformly distributed libriform fibers which
and specific gravity of 0.57, still well above the average mature hardwood values.

So, stihl'! The man asked a straightforward question! How about some specifics for him? This kind of vague stuff really isn't helpful!

:D

Oh, man, 100 black locust trees for the taking! I'm drooling! It's stringy, but that much wood for FREE? Go for it!

stihlatit said:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/V2-432.html

Black locust wood has a large portion of uniformly distributed libriform fibers which confers great strength to wood. It has an average specific gravity of 0.68 compared to other North American hardwoods which average 0.51. Its average fiber length is 1.05 mm, slightly shorter than other hardwoods which average 1.13 mm. The central stem or pith of young black locust has a fiber length of 0.75 mm and specific gravity of 0.57, still well above the average mature hardwood values.

Five Best Burning Species
Hickory - 31 to 32 mm btu/cord
Oak - 30 to 31 mm btu/cord
Black Locust - 28 mm btu/cord
Beech - 27 mm btu/cord
Elms/Maples - 21 to 26 mm btu/cord

Uhhh, so is it hard?

The Janka hardness test is a measurement of the force necessary to embed a .444-inch steel ball to half its diameter in wood. It is the industry standard for gauging the ability of various species to tolerate denting and normal wear, as well as being a good indication of the effort required to either nail or saw the particular wood. Here is a few woods and their hardness rating.
So Locust is a hard hardwood.

Hickory 1820
Locust 1700
Hard Maple/ Sugar Maple 1450
White Oak 1360
White Ash 1320
American Beech 1300
Red Oak 1290
Black Walnut 1010
Cedar 900
Sycamore 770
Chestnut 540

Bacisally, what I'd like to know is, Is it hard in the sense that it will eat up my saw chains? How does it cut, or what other woods does it cut like?

And a new question...Is the stuff worth anything as fire wood?

Do those questions make sense...

Sorry, I should have specified that earlier. Sorry if these questions sound or seem dumb, I've never come across a Black Locust, Most of the cutting I do is various Maples, Willow, and alot of Pine in my area (among other common city trees)

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Here are some answers:

1CallLandscape said:
ya, i never have had the oppertinity to burn hedge, but man i got some locust the other day from a job and the trees were standing dead for 20 years the owner said. i dulled 4 chains to take 8 trees down ( 12" ) the wood was so hard that when i hit it with a ball peen hammer it didnt even mak a mark. it burns for a REAL LONG time . i loaded my stove up on a 1/3 draft and it burned for 11 hours. so... yup if you can get locust its the best green or seasoned
-mike

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=433416&postcount=44

And this whole thread...

BlueRidgeMark said:
So, stihl'! The man asked a straightforward question! How about some specifics for him? This kind of vague stuff really isn't helpful!

:D

Oh, man, 100 black locust trees for the taking! I'm drooling! It's stringy, but that much wood for FREE? Go for it!

I believe I answered his question. He asked if it was a hardwood.

stihlatit said:
I believe I answered his question. He asked if it was a hardwood.

Whoa! Easy, guy! I was just funnin'. You didn't just give him an answer, you gave him the encyclopedia! :D

It's alright, I understand what everyone is saying, it is a hard wood, and from the sounds of it a fairly hard one, the kind that I might have to sharpen a chain or 2 after cutting all that wood. One question left unanswered is...

Is it worth anything as firewood, will it be worth the trouble of me hauling it all away, splitting it all, and trying to sell it (i'll surely never burn that much wood)?

But anyway, thanks to everyone who has helped to answer my questions!

I've got a bit that I haven't burned yet. Everybody so far has told me it is GREAT. Several have told me it's their favorite wood to burn.

I'll let you know next spring! :D

Horses are at risk, but all animals ingesting the plant may be poisoned. The leaves, especially wilted leaves, young shoots, pods, seeds, inner bark are dangerous to eat. Causes weakness, paralysis, abdominal pain, diarrhea (could be bloody) and abnormalities in the heart rate and/or rhythm. Death is possible. Animals shouldn't be confined in an area where black locust grows.
That is probably why he is going to remove them.

How much does it take to be toxic? I remember a discussion a while back about acorns being toxic to dogs. Turned out to be true.

But the dog would have to eat something like 8 POUNDS before it would bother him!

Back