How Long Does a File Last You?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rookie question....

What is a file card????

Chris

Chris, It is a special brush for cleaning files. One side has fiber bristles, and the other side has fine wire bristles. You can substitute for a file card with a common wire brush.

Bob

I can usually make one last through 1-2 chains before they get crappy. They are like 1 buck each so I don't really worry about file maintenence much. I use the Stihl files mostly since they're the easiest for me to get. Never tried any others except Nicholsen and they're overpriced. Did'nt last any longer than the Stihl files. Not near as long actually.

Rookie question....

What is a file card????

Chris

Chris,
That question is a good one to ask! That is the beauty of AS--there's lots of opportunities to learn, especially if you ask the questions. The picture below is a file card. You just brush the steel bits out of the teeth and it makes a file work much better and I believe they will last longer too. One file card will last a lifetime or more!
:clap:
41MYblbpRhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Windsor files marked "Spain" are good for half a dozen filings, even with dressing them.
Just got done with the last box I will ever buy of those terds.

The Husqvarna files hold up as well as the Stihl files and seem good for a dozen or more filings if they aren't rolling around in the Saw box getting dinged to hell.
I can get 'em for under 2 bucks each locally if I buy a couple boxes at a time.

Anybody tried the Woodland pro files?
How do they compare to the Pfered and save edge?

Been saving the old worn out files for a project.

I figure if I get a couple dozen saved up and send them to Shoer, he could beat 'em into a damascus knife for me.

They do come in handy for making various booger hooks and such.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

How do you guys clean your files, I have several that don't appear to be cutting good and seem to think they are just dirty. I don't have any special file cleaning stuff around and usually just wipe with a rag but started thinking this may be a bad idea.

The guy that I served my time under used to have a tall glass jar filled with viniger/ coca cola after he used the file he used to sit the file in the jar for approx 1 hour. My job was to remove & wash with kerosene. IIRC the same files were being used at least 4 years after purchase. Still do the same today, but I don`t do as much filing so they last along time

Back