How many have bought a saw from Craigslist???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bought a saw from Craigslist?

• YES

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • NO

Votes: 31 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CL Saws

If it sounds too good to be true,it probably isn't true. TALK to the seller on the phone, hang-up, think about HIM and what impression you got of Him,
Then you can decide if it's a good deal or not! Call him back and make the deal then or not. But don't waste a lot of time on it. You'll know if you're any judge of people. If you decide you can't tell about the quality of people.......stay off CL!
Igpoe:cheers:

I've never bought a saw from CL...and probably won't. Unless I know the total history on a used a saw I won't touch it. I don't have time to play saw mechanic. Nor any real talent at it. :) I buy new, they're a writeoff and I know exactly what I'm getting.

That being said, I have bought a lot of other saw related stuff through CL. Wedges, axes, extra calks for my Wescos, gas and oil cans, and quite a bit of chain.

I even scored some parts for my D-6 last year at a great price from a guy who discovered he had a bunch of them...after he sold his D-6.

But saws? No.

Just did, got a clean Mac 15 and a running Mini Mac for $65

yes, bought two from craigslist last year
husky 350
ad said "used several times camping"
showed up, and the bar had no paint left on it..
it was about 5 degrees F outside, the motor was bone cold to the touch, and it popped on 1st pull choke, started on 2nd and ran perfectly.. so i bought it
"used several times camping" lol, oh well, he tried

second was an 028, brand new 18" bar and chain(hadnt seen wood), ran great

keep seeing this 440 that says "great condition" ... for 350-400$ (forget).. the guy keeps posting the same picture though, of some dirty old looking 440 that looks like it was stored outside in the rain for the last 5 years.. covered in crap and dirty, its a shame

Last edited:
Craigslist find

Bought a well used MS 250 with 1 new and 2 used chains. Looked at it as a parts saw for my current MS 250. It needs carb work and the exhaust port is somewhat carboned up- But had good compression and the piston was nice and clean.

valleyboy

Craigslist saws

Yes, bought a Jonsered 49sp which needed nothing, and If it counts, a 66E which wouldn't start because the ground strap was broken....when I had gone to buy a nice Fenwick Fly rod;). Love these saws and this is my first post.:laugh:

Ive had great luck on craigslist - but not responding to ads - rather, by placing a wanted ad- you know, "Chainsaws wanted."

Off of that ad (which is free, btw) I have bought:

036 for $70 (runs great - looks a little rough - needed very minor work)

Several running XL12 for $20 each

08s in great shape, running for $20

and my newest score:

084 for $50! (runs great, needs dogs & a new decomp. valve - thats all!)

It seems like you get much better response when someone contacts you, vs. finding a saw & going to see it. At least thats been my experience up here in Canada.

Back