How many of you are running Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run everything from big old Homelites to clone saws ,but my favorite saws are the MS441 Stihls. They are fantastically responsive and comfortable to run, ironically sold poorly with stihl guys because of the husqvarna like spring mounts.
One thing I noticed about the Stihl company is that they aren't resting on their laurels, design and model changes to benefit the user are frequently put out .

Lot of haters out there on the 441. I had a carb version and latter a M Tronic. I thought the were fine saws. Smooth and powerful. I sold the M Tronic and bought a 462. I’ve had lots of Stihl saws in the last 40+ years but the 462 is the best I’ve had. I’ve never run a 500 so I’m not going to bad mouth them, I’m sure they are great but I know the 462 is a fantastic saw with a great power/weight ratio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a 029 with a 20" bar in 1994 and still using it. Used to cut 10-15 cords/year. Don't cut near that much anymore but it still gets plenty of use in the fall/winter. Thinking of getting a new one. Figured a new one will last me the rest of my wood cutting years. Was looking at a MS 291 or 311, then someone recommended a 261. Not sure which way to go now.

Ah, fuel injected which I would rather avoid, its only an excuse for a fuel injection system, low pressure,
too sore on fuel, too hard to start if you run out. I see no need for such a system on a simple tool. Other
manufacturers can manage with a simple carb that people can easily fix and clean. I have an aversion to
complicating things that don't need it.
My latest mig welder purchase was not one of those inverters with all the bells and whistles, it was an
I.N.E / Italian made transformer based 300 amp machine with a proven track record, that I can fix myself,
the control card costs 180 to replace if it gives trouble, I can also fit a control module from any other transformer
based model of the correct voltage, or buy another separate wire feeder with its very own card,
thought why take a gamble and spend a lot more when I can get a cheaper /3400 euro tool that will be easier to
deal with if I ever need to and more dependable too, proven tech is where it is for me, like our well over 40 year old
STIHL 041 that still works, now that's tech that worked.

So I guess I do have a Stihl.
Then your more oblivious to the turning point of the destruction of our planet then most. No offense. The need came for a way to pass epa emissions without going to electric and the 500i was supposed to be stihls flagship into super low emission 2 strokes. The epa squashed it though.They were even playing with direct cylinder oil injection so no more mixing gas. But like everything important and possible of causing wide spread panic most everyone is kept in the dark about how dyer the situation really is so we end up a day late and a dollar short. The thing is the signs are being shoved down our throat this year, just look at all the new electric yard equipment, the bombard of electric vehicles and commercials all the sudden, all these solar conversion instinctive, nasal relaunching the space program and what California just passed a bill to do the signs are there we are just to busy to read them because last year was it for us to find a way to sustain our ozone and environment and we failed. There's nothing we can do to fix the damage done to our planet and no way to stop the cancer we have given it. We are lucky enough not to have to see what becomes of it but it saddens me that maybe my children or grandchildren will. Do just a little bit of research on the matter it will shock you. Did you know that overnight makita wiped there site clean of gas saws?

I bought a 500i last week.
I've run two tanks of fuel through it.
So not a lot to say as yet..
I get what Whinbush is saying, post #9.
I bought this saw because of hard hot starts with the other saws. I'm not a mechanic of any sorts, and bought this saw to avoid the issues I'm having with the other saws when hot out. In short, to simplify things.
As I said, have not run it enough to say much.
Thanks for your replys.
I do have one question.
When the saw is warmed up, do you still use the primer bulb each start?
Could of saved yourself 1500 bucks if you would of had someone tune those hard hot starters. As long as the topend is good they probably just needed a half to 3/4 turn out on the low needle and a little bump on the idle screw.

Ah, fuel injected which I would rather avoid, its only an excuse for a fuel injection system, low pressure,
too sore on fuel, too hard to start if you run out. I see no need for such a system on a simple tool. Other
manufacturers can manage with a simple carb that people can easily fix and clean. I have an aversion to
complicating things that don't need it.
My latest mig welder purchase was not one of those inverters with all the bells and whistles, it was an
I.N.E / Italian made transformer based 300 amp machine with a proven track record, that I can fix myself,
the control card costs 180 to replace if it gives trouble, I can also fit a control module from any other transformer
based model of the correct voltage, or buy another separate wire feeder with its very own card,
thought why take a gamble and spend a lot more when I can get a cheaper /3400 euro tool that will be easier to
deal with if I ever need to and more dependable too, proven tech is where it is for me, like our well over 40 year old
STIHL 041 that still works, now that's tech that worked.

So I guess I do have a Stihl.
I own two Stihl
A new MS290 and an 044 Magnum
About the welders and such, my thinking exactly.
Don't fix it if it isn't broken.
I have a few welding machines.
Two Lincolns and an old Craftsman buzz box.
Lincoln Power MIG 180 dual voltage (120 or 208/230) and an industrial Lincoln IDEAL arc 300 amp TIG welder with stick welder and generator plugs, water cooled that you can hook up in 230/600 volts. I have it in 230 of course.
And lastly I own an old Craftsman stick welder that it very heavy box with wheels.
Got the two older ones for $100 for both from a retired shop teacher that got them for free after the school upgraded and threw them out.

About the welders and such, my thinking exactly.
Don't fix it if it isn't broken.
Although I'd agree on the perks of having a simple machine that just works and is "fixable" when it doesn't, the new stuff has a reason for existence too.
I have an oldish, small transformer based MIG-welder and even this small (low power) machine has always been a pain to take with - heavy lifting and big/spacious, especially if you just have a hatchback car. Some two year ago I got a new inverter based MIG & Stick welder, that has less than half the weight and volume and has more power. That one is so much easier to toss in a (any) car, that it's a candidate to take it along "just in case" (especially when I swap the 10 liter gas cylinder for a one-time usage 1 liter flask). The old transformer one, I would never take along unless absolutely evident that it was going to be used.
Same goes for the the modern "electronically featured" or even injection saws I guess - as long as it works these would usually give you a better power to weight ratio and automatic tuning under changing conditions etc. which can all really come in handy ... as long as the tronics don't die on you in the woods (then you're screwed).

STIHL is always my 1st choice.
With that said, Stihl has become pricey and Echo has filled a void in my wallet.

My current stash:
MS460
MS361 (NIB) hidden away
MS261
MS201T -C
MS201
Dolmar EA7900PRZ
Makita 6401 with new OEM 7901 C&P in the waiting room
Makita DCS-401
Echo CS-7310P
Echo CS-590
Echo CS-501P
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-2511T
Echo CS-271T
Echo CS-340T
Echo CS-310
Poulan Pro 5020

Aquired today - Ryobi HP 40v 18" chainsaw

Looking for a Stihl 044 10mm wrist pin model - does not need to be running

Chainsaw addiction can lead to wanting more chainsaws which can lead to needing more chainsaws.

I'm mostly running Stihl...066, 044 x2, 400, and a 201tcm. Also have a chi-com 880. My other saws are a de-stratoed 372xt, 550xp, and an Echo 2511t.

I'm not a brand whore, I own most of my saws just because a good opportunity popped up to own them. I did specifically want the 201 and the 400, as IMO they're better than the competition. That was the same case with my 2511t, it's hard to beat for trimming/small removals.

Back