How much difference between 372xp and 372xpw in the wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtgrs737

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am considering picking up a Husqvarna 372xp or a 372xpw before they change them or quit making them and was wondering if the extra few cc's was worth the extra $25 or not. Appears that the weight is the same on both saws.

I am considering picking up a Husqvarna 372xp or a 372xpw before they change them or quit making them and was wondering if the extra few cc's was worth the extra $25 or not. Appears that the weight is the same on both saws.

Get the xp you will end up modding it if you stay here anyway!
The xp is a great saw and xpw also either one will suit your needs
but if you stay in this great site you will get the bug and put a bb
and a muffler gut mod that really is not needed but does improve
the performance. So either way you go your not likely to be un-happy.

i just spent over 75 for full wrap and dogs... put that in your pipe and smoke it.. for 25, a guy would be half stuped not to get the xpw IF he will use the saw for what its made to do.

Last edited:
If you want them, yes......

Right. I am in the minority that I prefer not to have full wrap on such a small saw.

Full wrap on some of my bigger saws, though.

Historically, here on the west coast, the full wrap model of some saws has other differences (air filter, oiler, etc).

Last edited:
Regardless of what the specs say, (and I never pay attention to them anyway), the 75cc saw has a very noticable increase in low end power. We ran them side by side at our GTG and the difference was obvious to everyone who cut with them. For $25 to $50, it's a no brainer. If you don't want the full wrap, you can always cut off the extra piece and end up with the standard handle.

Regardless of what the specs say, (and I never pay attention to them anyway), the 75cc saw has a very noticable increase in low end power. We ran them side by side at our GTG and the difference was obvious to everyone who cut with them. For $25 to $50, it's a no brainer. If you don't want the full wrap, you can always cut off the extra piece and end up with the standard handle.

Excellent advice Spike60 as always. He can also pick up a replacement 1/2 wrap handle from Bailey's http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17671&catID=411for $20 or so depending on shipping. That way he would have both types and can decide which he likes better.

Do the Jonsered 2171's share this cc difference between the half wrap and full wrap versions?

Do the Jonsered 2171's share this cc difference between the half wrap and full wrap versions?

No; there is no Jonsered version of this 75cc saw. Keep in mind that there is also a 71cc version of the XPW, so it can be confusing. What you need to look for is the product code on the ID tag just above the serial number. All 71cc saws start with 965 70, and the 75's start with 965 74. So, those 4th and 5th digits are the key to identifying the saw.

Those numbers do not denote the displacement of the saw, so 70 and 74 are just a coincidence. For instance, the 4th and 5th digits on a 346NE are "97" and on a 390XP they are "06".

Last edited:
as far as power goes. i cant tell the difference.
the power band feels exactly the same as my 371xp.
the big dogs and full wrap are nice and they are a good enough reason to buy it over the standard XP but if your expecting a big difference in power you will be disapointed.
perhaps i need to try them in some hard wood, maybe the 75cc's will start to shine. but as far as 15" pine goes, they are the same.

There is a noticeable difference

I have both, and there is a noticeable difference with the XPW in bigger wood and longer bars. I feel more low end grunt; also more than that of the 440 or 441. Pay the extra dough and get the 372XPW. I can think of no reason not to for the extra 4-5cc's for the small difference in price. If you hate the wrap handle, you can sell it on Ebay and buy a regular handle, and probably make a bit of money in the process.

I have both, and there is a noticeable difference with the XPW in bigger wood and longer bars. I feel more low end grunt; also more than that of the 440 or 441. Pay the extra dough and get the 372XPW. I can think of no reason not to for the extra 4-5cc's for the small difference in price. If you hate the wrap handle, you can sell it on Ebay and buy a regular handle, and probably make a bit of money in the process.

This year, the catalog list the xpw at 4.0kW vs. 3.9 (didn't last year).........

The wrap handle etc make the xpw a bit heavier, but the listing doesn't reflect that......:monkey:

Back