How much do freelance climbers make?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not talking about people who own tree services. I'm talking about people who own major chains of grocery stores, regional breweries, insurance agencies, etc. They aren't impressed with guys like us (except that we made it on our own...but they aren't impressed with our income) but if you get into that circle of friends...it's because you know how to conduct yourself and not over-play your hand. They may be impressed with our work ethic and ingenuity but that doesn't get you in there. You get there because you know they're people like you and they like you because of how you conduct yourself. And I will say...there is nothing special about those people. It's just like hanging out with other friends. They just don't want to make a big deal about money. Most of them just want the same things we all want. We just want good friends and good memories. They value being looked at and treated in a normal way.
The difference w/most of those industries they inherited them, I wish I was fortunate enough to be in that position.

The difference w/most of those industries they inherited them, I wish I was fortunate enough to be in that position.

Some did. Some didn't. I have a friend who started his own brewery from scratch and another who inherited over 100 stores. The thing they have in common is that they look no different from me on the street. You could never pick them out. You can't even tell them by their cars. In fact...I drive a nicer car than both of them. And they treat me as a peer...someone who works hard for what he gets. But I don't over-play my hand and act like I'm anything special. I'm a guy who does my job and keeps my personal info to myself for the most part.

It all depends on where your passions lie as to where you spend your money. I buy high end commercial electronics because home theatre is my passion. But by earning as much as I have in the last three years I can take interest in acquisitions I only dreamed of. My earnings have exceeded my expectations but not nearly my dreams.

I hate to be this guy and break this to you...but I'm not really impressed with making $275k in three years. It's ok...it's actually good... but you have a shelf life. I'm not slamming the money but if you think this is going to coast you into your golden years...you better think again. You seem like you want to spend a lot of money now when you should be saving and maybe investing for later.

I'm not concerned w/that, I can always go sell for some company, the guys around here who sell make very decent money. I've met a couple of guys one a retired postal worker who was 60 he does the climbing I was shocked. I just don't like the idea of trying to run a company. I've worked with one company my primary income is w/them for 10 years, all the guys I've seen come and go through there. Every year I've new guys, a new crop of FNGs I feel like a drill Sargent in basic, training the next set ropers, I say basic because they are w/me a very limited time be they leave or let go.

I'm also wondering if I'm an anomaly in my success as a subcontractor or if others are doing this well.

Yes you are an anomaly! Most of us on here are getting on our hands and knees and praising you as we wish we could do that well for ourselves. We dream of the day we might be able to qualify for a loan to drive a gay ass yuppie m4 just like you! :envy: :laughing:

I don't buy it. You would have to be in an area where a whole lot of guys can't cut trees and own companies. Our cutters make around 50-60k a year and we find no shortage of them paying that. The two I have now are mid to late 40's and are lifers started in there early 20's. I ran an add in the paper years ago offering fulltime 20+ an hour and benefits we got at least 20-30 calls in a week. There are to many sharks in the pond for 500$ a day consistently.

Yes you are an anomaly! Most of us on here are getting on our hands and knees and praising you as we wish we could do that well for ourselves. We dream of the day we might be able to qualify for a loan to drive a gay ass yuppie m4 just like you! :envy: :laughing:

I don't know my BMWs is a m4 expensive? I went through some cars and man was it a waste of cash.

Nm just used Google they start at 64k

I don't buy it. You would have to be in an area where a whole lot of guys can't cut trees and own companies. Our cutters make around 50-60k a year and we find no shortage of them paying that. The two I have now are mid to late 40's and are lifers started in there early 20's. I ran an add in the paper years ago offering fulltime 20+ an hour and benefits we got at least 20-30 calls in a week. There are to many sharks in the pond for 500$ a day consistently.

The guy (if it is even a guy) is just baiting us up. I hope everybody else sees that. I know Jeff and I do. He is just a fake ass troll.

I don't know my BMWs is a m4 expensive? I went through some cars and man was it a waste of cash.

Nm just used Google they start at 64k
That is where new ones start, mine is a 2012 has 13,000 but I bought it to build credit, and it's fun and less expensive than the truck. What state are you in? Most guys don't earn what I do, but I've cultivated many good relationships, I do the worst trees, and an owner bidding that tree knows if he wants to hire me to bid accordingly. Plus 15% or so comes from my own jobs, and I diversified by adding my trailer, I get $200 a load plus my percentage. I know a crane owner who did the same, one year after winter he also had a clam truck.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420557767849.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420557767849.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420557854472.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420557854472.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 27
I must be doing something right considering I've made $275,000 in the past 3 years and work 8 to 9 months a year I barely do a thing December through February.

How much did you make 4 years ago?

I do know I worked for company 10 years ago, I made $44k they had time and a half, prevailing wage all the bells and whistles. I just started keeping track one year after heavy storm damage, when I realized I made $10k in 7 days.

Back