How much do you charge a tree guy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkarlson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was at work this morning when a lady who lives down the road pulled in and dropped of a guy. He came up and asked if there was anyway I could help him get out of a sticky situation. It seems he is an asplundh worker and him and his crew got their truck stuck out in a field when they broke through the snow and ice. I nodded to the Terra Gator sitting on the lot and told him it would probably do it. I didnt know if he had a large bucket truck or one of the single axle trucks...so I grabbed a half inch chain and we rode up to the truck. Sure enough he was stuck down to the axle. So without slipping a tire I pulled him out. Talked to him about the large white oak he was about to cut out of the powerline right of way. I didnt realize asplundh actually had climbers on their crew. Anyway they were stacking the brush and keeping the logs in the fence line so I told them I'd probably come block it up for firewood this weekend.

So the question is how much should I stick it to asplundh? A tow truck with the ability to pull him out 500 yards off the road would cost a pretty penny.

Just messing with you all I wouldnt charge someone for something like that. Now if it had been a bunch of teenagers in a big 4x4 messing around it might be different story :)

Last edited:
give your number to the foreman and tell him to call you when he has wood leftover. i'd say at the end of their cycle you would have enough wood to come out on top. good luck

No pictures ,but interestingly enough the last few days I've had several things I wish I would have had the camera handy for. Would loved to have had some pictures of the stuck asplundh truck to share on here. Two days ago while crossing a bridge we spotted a bald eagle in flight then on return trip it was perched high in a tree over looking the river. To some the bald eagle is a common site but in this area its very rare. Considering carrying my camera in the truck all the time just for instances like these.

Was at work this morning when a lady who lives down the road pulled in and dropped of a guy. He came up and asked if there was anyway I could help him get out of a sticky situation. It seems he is an asplundh worker and him and his crew got their truck stuck out in a field when they broke through the snow and ice. I nodded to the Terra Gator sitting on the lot and told him it would probably do it. I didnt know if he had a large bucket truck or one of the single axle trucks...so I grabbed a half inch chain and we rode up to the truck. Sure enough he was stuck down to the axle. So without slipping a tire I pulled him out. Talked to him about the large white oak he was about to cut out of the powerline right of way. I didnt realize asplundh actually had climbers on their crew. Anyway they were stacking the brush and keeping the logs in the fence line so I told them I'd probably come block it up for firewood this weekend.

So the question is how much should I stick it to asplundh? A tow truck with the ability to pull him out 500 yards off the road would cost a pretty penny.

Just messing with you all I wouldnt charge someone for something like that. Now if it had been a bunch of teenagers in a big 4x4 messing around it might be different story :)
Charge them six grand they have it they scre?ed me out of ten years
of my life :laugh:

Seeing bald eagles around here is not that big an issue. Some call them flying carp as they will eat about anything... including carrion along the road; not the freshest either. I once was bowhunting by sneaking around, actually scouting that day, and was walking down a path with a big brush pile in front of me and as I went around the pile I walked right up to a bald eagle eating on a gut pile some deer hunter dumped off. I must have been 25 feet from him and he seemed tall to me, very tall. They're beautiful looking birds. I'm glad they decided to have them as our national bird instead of the turkey. LOL!

I once was in a bucket truck going across the client's yard when the bottom felt like it dropped out from under us. We sunk into an old cesspool hole that was covered up years ago. I forgot how the world we got out, but when it was over, the youngest kid of the bunch said "That was a chitty feeling."! LOL!

StihlRockin'

Ive heard those same comments about how similiar the bald eagles are to buzzards. Some people hate the fact that its our national bird for that reason. Sitting over a pile of guts is not how I would want to see a bird that seems so majestic in flight. The department of natural resources in this area tried so hard to get nesting pairs of of baldies to breed back in the 90's but they must have had a gay male. Or maybe they just consumed too much mercury and lead from the fish in our streams? Anyway its very rare in this area to see them, last I knew the nearest nest were like 30 miles south of me and it was only one or two pairs of birds.

I used to run the big gators back in the day for a couple of years. You've gotta luv em.

I too got stuck in a field this year clearing the line.

Luckily right behind a fertilizer company facility so I had one of their operators give me a yank. No charge thankfully. ;)

I used to run the big gators back in the day for a couple of years. You've gotta luv em.

I too got stuck in a field this year clearing the line.

Luckily right behind a fertilizer company facility so I had one of their operators give me a yank. No charge thankfully. ;)

Ever wander why with all the money those line clearance companies
have,why aren't their trucks outfitted with winch and 4+4 it seems
like a management problem to me :hmm3grin2orange: cheap cheap
they do resemble a baby Bald Eagle :laugh:

no charge, but I would hint that they could cut their wood x" long...

I should of thought about that. I did mention that I'd be back to block it up and that they could make it a bit easier to get to by not stacking it in the fence row. Hopefully they will leave it right at the edge, never know maybe they did block it up. Hopefully I will have time to get to it this weekend.

ha! in more ways than one.

When I worked 4 them they even bought homelights! They
paid as little as they possibly could and made you work on vacation time!
I was supposed to have savings bonds and other retirement incentives but
never saw anything in writing just gf bs! I learned quite a bit while there
but sure paid for training:laugh: I on more than one occasion was tempted
to hog tie the ceo, put a saddle on him and hoist him to the top of a tree
and give him a better perspective of the job he overseen!

Last edited:
I didnt realize asplundh actually had climbers on their crew.

Hey! Three years with Asplundh and 20+ trees climbed every day. Most people don't seem to know about their off-road crews.

Ever wander why with all the money those line clearance companies
have,why aren't their trucks outfitted with winch and 4+4 it seems
like a management problem to me :hmm3grin2orange:

Ever wonder why even though every bucket has a set or two of climbing gear in it, they will launch the truck somewhere they shouldn't be instead of climbing the tree? Seems like a laziness problem to me.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience-they always treated us ok around here. Yeah, the push for production sucked, not to mention the nepotism and the fact that our union rep was a huge druggie. But i've worked with worse outfits. The pay was good, the experience was invaluable, heck we even got a saw check to pay for our own saws. I've never regretted my time with them.

Hey! Three years with Asplundh and 20+ trees climbed every day. Most people don't seem to know about their off-road crews.

Ever wonder why even though every bucket has a set or two of climbing gear in it, they will launch the truck somewhere they shouldn't be instead of climbing the tree? Seems like a laziness problem to me.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience-they always treated us ok around here. Yeah, the push for production sucked, not to mention the nepotism and the fact that our union rep was a huge druggie. But i've worked with worse outfits. The pay was good, the experience was invaluable, heck we even got a saw check to pay for our own saws. I've never regretted my time with them.
No union here,no saw check either just a big orange weiny :laugh:
I ran a manual crew for them and bucket crews as well no laziness
i assure you. I hated bid work they were always behind and pay sucked
no benefits and too many pricks! They did teach well and had a good
safety training program but I worked for them early eighties to early
nineties!

axle winch

i heard a story about an asplundh truck that got stuck out in the middle of nowhere. the wheels just spun in the mud. an old timer got out a bull rope attached it somehow to the spinning tire and tied it to a nearby tree. as the tire spun, the rope got tighter and tighter and viola! hillbilly winch!:clap:

Kinda like this winch i made.

attachment.php

attachment.php

dont charge him anything, he wasnt making any money off of it so you shoulnt either, what goes around comes around

Latest posts

Back