How much fuel does your splitter use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was headed out to split this morning and was asked how long I'd be working, the stove clock 6:50am so my reply was, " quarter to nine or so ".

Walked out back, topped off the half gallon tank on my speeco 25ton with 9.0hp I/C b/s and away it went until it sputtered out.

Walked in the door and the clock read 8:46.

1-1/2 hours on a half gallon tank. Full throttle, partial throttle, doesn't matter, it's always the same.

Putting on a different, much more efficient engine would probably payoff in about two years.

So, how thirsty is your splitter engine.

The engine has synthetic oil and the tank has 32 wt hydraulic oil , it hasn't made a difference from it's efficiency since I bought it 7years ago, but it sure makes it easier to start in the winter.

Hello,
My tank holds 1 gallon and the engine is a 14.5 hp. I can't really says how long it will run on one tank because I never timed it. However, everytime I think of how my back would feel if I had to split all that wood by hand, the thought of filling up the gas tank doesn't even bother me !!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

8hp Tecumseh drinks the fuel pretty well. I have never measured the run time in minutes or hours, only by gatorade breaks, and I can tell you after a whole tank of gas I'm always ready for a drink.

I don't know how big the tank is on my 22 ton Huskee or how long it takes to run out but I'm always ready for a break before it runs out. The Briggs seems very fuel efficient to me.

you say fuel so i will chime in.
I am running a 6 hp diesel Kubota model 0c60e turning a 16gpm haldex.
I will say that a 1/2 gallon will last 3.5 -4 hrs depending on engine speed.
I have to take more water breaks than fuel breaks.
Have ran it for 9 hrs a day in warmer weather for 2 days on less than 2 gallons without ever running dry.

On my gas setup I built awhile back 13 hp honda the tank holds more than 1/2 gallon but it would run a little over 2.5 hrs turning a 22 gpm pump.

Also will say to keep your fuel fresh as in todays age of ethanol it does make a difference in consumption rate

I always run out of wood before I run out of fuel. I have a 6.5hp Robin on the SS. It has a half gallon tank. I split my wood kind of small. I usually average around 330 pieces to a 4x8 foot stack. So I have real close to 1000 pieces in a cord. I can split around 3 cords with the SS if the wood is right. If it's harder to split I'll still get over 2 cords. That is one thing about the flywheel splitter they use very little fuel. If I split like some of you guys I could get at least 5 cords if not more on a tank of fuel.

Scott

I split 6 cords this year on 2.5 gallons.
Thought that was pretty good.

Doing some "rough" math... 138k btu's per gallon of oil. Assume 24million btu's per cord... 178 gallons of oil per cord?? give or take... 6 cords = roughly 1000 gallons of oil...

Use 2.5 gallons of gas to save 1000 gallons of oil... Not bad!

2.5*3.77=$9.42 spent
1000*3.39=$3380 saved

I always run out of wood before I run out of fuel. I have a 6.5hp Robin on the SS. It has a half gallon tank. I split my wood kind of small. I usually average around 330 pieces to a 4x8 foot stack. So I have real close to 1000 pieces in a cord. I can split around 3 cords with the SS if the wood is right. If it's harder to split I'll still get over 2 cords. That is one thing about the flywheel splitter they use very little fuel. If I split like some of you guys I could get at least 5 cords if not more on a tank of fuel.

Scott

Those Robins really sip the gas. Quiet too, from my understanding.

Some 1/3rds are split to have 600-700 pieces but it's by request so I won't argue although it takes twice the time of the usual.
Maybe the better money is spent on an SS and keep the h/v the way it is for quartering the big rounds.

My cook wood to pizza kitchens have around 700 pieces to a 4x8 foot stack. I can still get 2 cords done on a tank of fuel. When splitting cook wood the engine isn't under load all that often. It doesn;t take much juice to split a 4"x4" piece. I have nothing but goodd things to say abput this robin engine. It has taken seven years of abuse with only a couple oil changes and never a spark plug change. It just keeps running. I haven't had to do a thing to it. It splits a couple hundred cords a year.

Scott

I have the Ariens 34 ton with the 7hp Subaru engine. With a .95 gallon capacity it'll run for about 3 hours.

I have an old 5HP Briggs on mine. The 1 gallon tank lasts me at least a couple of hours, but I haven't really timed it. I figure, I wouldn't want to split by hand so, as long as it's not really awful on fuel, it's not a big deal.

Then again, I only split 6-8 cord at a time, so it's not a big deal.

Two full cord on a gallon, the time depends on me! :biggrin: 10hp briggs by the way.....

What engine, what type of fuel, what type of splitter, amount of time the engine was running?

Honda 200GX, used premium, homemade splitter, engine time? hmm guessing 8
hrs. I filled up the 2.5 gallon can before starting and finished with just a tad left in the Honda. I couldnt believe it either.

Last edited:
It takes me about 2 full tanks of gas (1.5 liters, .396 gal) to split around a 1/2 cord of wood. Took about 2hr with a few beer breaks for some stringy, and knotty hickory wood.

I have a Swisher 22 ton with a 8.75 briggs.

Latest posts

Back