How much to make it worth logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have gotten a lot of advice on what to do on here. Some of it good, most not so good. Hire a consulting forester. On average, you wil receive 30% more for a sale than without one. Since they accept a percent of the sale as payment, it is in their best interests to get you as much as possible for the timber that YOU decide to cut. They will inventory it and make suggestions on what you should do based on your objectives and the data from the inventory, but the final choice is always up to you.

A 'diameter limit cut' is not always a bad thing. The first cut on your property, in my opinion should usually be one to get rid of a lot of the poorly-formed trees. On down the line, a diameter limit cut may be suggested based on what your goals are for your property. If the mills in the area cannot process trees over 24 inches dbh (example only), then it makes sense not to let your trees to get larger than that dbh, right? Unless, of course, you are leaving some mast/wildlife trees. There are trends and relationships that a forester is aware of in the diameter distribution of an uneven-aged stand that make it fairly obvious how many trees and of what size (again...dbh) need to be removed from the stand. Each cut always taking the poorest formed first to reach the target number of trees in the dbh class. This, over time, will significantly improve your forest stands and maximize your returns, assuming you live long enough to see enough cuttings. If you plan on passing your property on to your family, this is a great way to leave something of value to them. Diameter cuts are not always high-grading. I wouldn't suggest clearcutting it as someone suggested, unless it is Quaking Aspen as it requires it for good regeneration. Feel free to pm me or e-mail me at [email protected] if you ever have any questions.

It's your land...you make the rules. I would recommend getting all the information you can before you sign anyone's contract. Here in NYS you have access to some great sources of information on forest management:

First, here's a link for the MFO program. You can schedule a visit from an MFO, who is a forest owner like yourself. He or she can give you a lot of information and contacts.
http://www.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/mfo/index.htm

Second, (and it looks like you may have done this) you can have the DEC regional forester visit you for free and help with your forest plan. I'm not familiar with the details of the New York City watershed grant, but around here the DEC forester will visit with you and come up with a written management plan that is in line with what your long term goals are for your land.

Another great source of information is through NYFOA, the New York Forest Owners Association:
http://www.nyfoa.org/

Last, a good suggestion that was already mentioned is to pay a consulting forester to mark the trees and put them out to bid. You may find that you'll get much more than the logging company is willing to pay when you deal directly, and the consulting forester can work on your behalf, to make sure that the logging is done in accordance with your wishes and that best management practices are used.

Scott

Back