how much will a pickup hold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy2b

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Standard 8' bed stacked neatly even with top the bed ?? -1/2 cord
Standard 6' bed--------------------------------------?? 1/3 cord
Ranger,s-10,nissan??

Would like to know if anyone out there has actualy measured it up????????????????:popcorn:

the measuring is easy enough to do. I usually find it is a weight issue with my truck. I can toss about a half cord in my 8' half ton's bed before it is overloaded (or grossly overloaded depending on species and state of drying). This is heaped up quite a bit right behind the cab and tapering down to the top of the bed rail near the tailgate. I have gotten a cord in a heavier truck by stacking neatly to nearly the top of the cab.

Here's the math. there are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot. my truck bed is 96" long by 64" wide by 19" deep so (96*64*19)/1728=67.56 cubic feet. Don't forget about the wheel wells though (24*8*8*2)/1728=1.78 cubic feet. So, I can get just a hair over half a cord stacked neatly up to the bed rails in my half ton full size truck with an 8' bed. Your bed size may vary.

"How much will a pickup hold?"

That is simple...

A 6' bed will hold a rick, rack or rank, depending on truck model
A 6.5' bed will hold a face cord
An 8' bed will hold a stack
Any bed with side racks will hold a pile

Last edited:
Do we really need to go down that road again?

Ask an indeterminate question and you get an indeterminate answer.

The OP could easily answer the question by simply measuring his bed of choice and doing the math. If you ask an open ended question without any parameters, then you should expect to get vague answers that do not address the initial query.

Why boys, it all depends on the weight of the wood. I don't get as much green wood on my little froo froo pickup as I do dry. Sometimes I scrape on a rock in my driveway. Weight is everything.

My best opinion is a standard 8 ft bed with wood just thrown in and piled as high as you can get it without any wood falling out over the sides is about a 1/2 cord.

I fit a full cord neatly stacked (and slightly mounded) in my Silverado 1500 and my cousin's F-150. Both have a 6.5' bed.

that is horse pucky, or you have no idea what a cord is. A cord measures 4ft tall, 4ft wide, and 8ft long.Lets just say you dropped a cord in the bed on its side.It would stick 2 feet out the back, fill the bed from rail to rail, and be 4ft tall.

Why boys, it all depends on the weight of the wood. I don't get as much green wood on my little froo froo pickup as I do dry. Sometimes I scrape on a rock in my driveway. Weight is everything.

Isn't that the truth! When I was looking for a new trailer I found the size I wanted (4x8) but axles were rated at 1200# or even less #'s. I wanted 2500-2800#. People I talked to who were 'in the know' said to contact a local trailer manufacturer. I did. His typical trailer was in the range of 1200-1500#'s & straight tongue. Any higher than that was really cost prohibitive, plus I wanted an A-frame tongue. He tried to talk me into the less #'s & single tongue even though I told him it was for hauling firewood. Guess he didn't think women were into firewood or some such thing.

We were traveling on the freeway the other day and saw a little 4x6 trailer with 3-1/2 metal sides stacked 3' tall with chunks of 5" or so cement chunks parked on the side of the road without a tow vehicle in sight. Key word here is parked on the side - yup his axle was on the ground. :)

Shari

PS There is a decent wood-weight chart here: http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Last edited:
We have 2 trailers sitting back in our yard here at work from customers who wanted a trailer load of gravel to fix there driveways. Needless to say they both have bent axles and folded in tires. It's the same with firewood.

that is horse pucky, or you have no idea what a cord is. A cord measures 4ft tall, 4ft wide, and 8ft long.Lets just say you dropped a cord in the bed on its side.It would stick 2 feet out the back, fill the bed from rail to rail, and be 4ft tall.

Actually not true. With a 6.5' bed there would only be 1.5' beyond the end of the bed, which is approximately the height of the tailgate, leaving little hanging off the back of the truck. Modern beds are also wider than 4', most are at least 4+' wide at the inner fender wells and that leaves plenty of space between that plane and the outside wall for additional wood.

By the way, with a cord of wood both 4' tall and 4' wide there is no reason to turn it on its side.

Decimal Dude

I figure our truck to hold - as I load it - about 2/3 of a cord or maybe a little less. In saying that I also want to tell you that in the last three years I've had to replace two rear springs that I've broken in my SuperDuty (3/4 ton). Yep, I broke them and I only move the wood on my own property and it never moves a mile from where the tree drops to where its burnt. So I can put massive loads on my truck because the only place I'm moving it from and to is my drying stack to my ready-to-burn stack, which is less than a half mile.

In the end I don't measure the truck loads that I bring to the house, what I measure (and calculate the cordage) is the stack at the house. We bring down 12~13 cords each fall and usually have about a half a cord left when the fire shuts down in spring.

Actually not true. With a 6.5' bed there would only be 1.5' beyond the end of the bed, which is approximately the height of the tailgate, leaving little hanging off the back of the truck. Modern beds are also wider than 4', most are at least 4+' wide at the inner fender wells and that leaves plenty of space between that plane and the outside wall for additional wood.

By the way, with a cord of wood both 4' tall and 4' wide there is no reason to turn it on its side.

Decimal Dude

your right, but my point is there is no way you are ever going to get a full cord of wood in a truck with a 6.5 foot bed.Not unless you have racks on the side that would allow you to stack it up a good five feet or so.I recently just bought a new Ford 250 with a full size bed, and there is no way I can get a whole cord in the thing no matter how I stacked it. Weight was not the issue as it was all pine, but there just was not enough room to stack the whole thing in there.

Back