How much wood can be dropped on concrete without breaking it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm blowing out a 60' Stone Pine this weekend, and if I can just bomb some of this stuff onto the concrete, I'd save some time. I'm leery about doing that?

I appreciate your antidotes and advice.

I'm blowing out a 60' Stone Pine this weekend, and if I can just bomb some of this stuff onto the concrete, I'd save some time. I'm leery about doing that?

I appreciate your antidotes and advice.

Don't do it. It there is any kind of cavity under the concrete you will break it.

You can build a bomb pad out of branches, say about 4' thick and bomb into that.

Cover the concrete with plywood, two layers thick. Add some brush to the top of it. Land flat. Assuming it's well poured, you "should" be ok. If it's super pristine, block the wood out. Period. Not a worthwhile risk to take.

Is the tree in the middle of a concrete pad?

Throw the wood into the dirt where there isn't any concrete. Oops! Full of landscaping?

That's why you get the big bucks: knowing and using those sophisticated rigging techniques to miss all the valuable stuff on the ground.

Dont do it if you can avoid it, I agree about the crash pad, we throw 3/4 plywood down, at least 2 sheets, and pile brush on, works pretty well. Concrete is only as strong as its base. BC is right, I dont care if it is some hybrid 5500psi supercrete, if there is a void under it, it will break.

Even some old tires or matresses is what we've used in the past as well. We got them from large garbage collection week that we have around here......and they are free!:cheers:

Rope it down as far as you can. Make a pad with the biggger pieces that you rope down, and then chunk the rest onto the pad. Simple.

Or you can try out the verticle speedline FTA.

Best advice - better block it down. Trust me, it doesn't take a big piece to break concrete when dropped from height. You can plywood it, or put the brush down as a pad, but that does not guarantee you won't break something.
Here is the thing when you put brush down as a pad: 1. There will always be a hole in the brush pad somewhere. 2. The worst possible piece that you drop will find that hole everytime. It will be the only one to find the hole, but it will find it.

If it was my job, I would block it down. ;)

if your talking about a sidewalk the answer is it will crack with on good hit with a decent size log from over 10 feet. Ive seen it happen many times and it can be a costly mistake.

make a layer cake out of plywood and a few 2in thick 4x8 sheets of that pink foam insulation stuff they sell at menards. aint cheap but it works wonders. still a gamble tho, when in doubt rope it out. btw, the above mentioned processs works very well when you need to drive 80000lbs on a 4in sidewalk.

if your talking about a sidewalk the answer is it will crack with on good hit with a decent size log from over 10 feet. Ive seen it happen many times and it can be a costly mistake.

This is what I figured about concrete.

Long story short, I'm going to rope it all. It's actually the city sidewalk in "snobville."

Who ever invented vertical speed lining should be given a Nobel Peace Price. I'm sure the guy just couldn't afford a fiddle block the day he discovered that "trick."

This is what I figured about concrete.

Long story short, I'm going to rope it all. It's actually the city sidewalk in "snobville."

Who ever invented vertical speed lining should be given a Nobel Peace Price. I'm sure the guy just couldn't afford a fiddle block the day he discovered that "trick."

I want to see pics!!!

Find and old couch, recliner, or loveseat on the side of the road and push blocks onto that. Take video cause I want to see it and hope I don't beat you to it.

I love the responses on this thread.........go to matress world & get a good tempurpedic, place directly under tree & bomb away........hell add the sofa & lazyboy for affect!

heres the best response!........why would you ask such a dumb &*^% question? really, rig the dam thing down & be a pro! :dizzy:

LXT............

Here we go.

I've seen OutofMyTrees or the guy from England that invented a new lowering tool (not sure which) tie one branch to another in order to support a load that the same branch without this added support would not be able to hold. I think I might try that since I need all or as much as possible of that tree to be in the front yard and not down on the street.

DVC00560.jpg

DVC00559.jpg

I love the responses on this thread.........go to matress world & get a good tempurpedic, place directly under tree & bomb away........hell add the sofa & lazyboy for affect!

heres the best response!........why would you ask such a dumb &*^% question? really, rig the dam thing down & be a pro! :dizzy:

LXT............

:agree2: Best answer yet!

Latest posts

Back