How much wood you go thur in a day.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is going to be hard to get an answer on this one. Species of wood, how seasoned, type of burner, outside temp, insulation, burning techniques, chimney type, all make a difference as to how much is used per day. For me, almost every single day is different. Some days I may fill the stove four times, some days maybe ten.

Maybe if we knew the reason you were asking we could help more?

I have a MF10000e and was just wondering if I am doing good with wood or do I need to work on things better. I fill mine once in the morning (5:30am) and again at (5:30pm). I keep my stove at 180 and usually put in about 6pcs of wood about 30 inches long split in half of a 12 to 14 to 18 inch in diameter. Some really good hardwood and some just ok(free firewood). Just kinda curious about it. Thanks

I have a trash can strapped to a hand dolly wih the lid on to help with mosture. Not a real big one but it will last at least one full day.

Ditto - wheel barrow a day. (A REALLY full wheel barrow). Wife likes it hot here, so now that it's finally "cold" we're burning like crazy - I figure about a face cord a week. We're in a new house, actually, and it's on the drafty side so I'm not sure how much we'll need all winter. I put down 6 cords when we moved in and I'm hoping it'll be enough!

SO many things affect this - size of the space you heat, how efficient (heat-loss wise) the space you heat is, how efficient your stove is, how hot you like it, species, water content, etc. etc.

I think the wheel barrow is the perfect measuring tool. Figure this - you could say "I've got a 1-wheel-barrow house" or "my stove is really old - it's a 2-barrow-a-day monster" and you'd have a measurement that would make the measurement guys happy - and still wouldn't mean anything because who knows how big your wheel barrow is! :laugh:

I'm running a hampton HI-300, which is a medium size insert. Fire box will hold five or six splits at a time. If I'm burning softer woood like silver maple, I need to load five times a day. If I'm burning oak/locust, I usually load 3 or 4 times a day. So on average 20 to 30 splits a day.

about a wheel barrow a day, except on days like today. 21 degrees and the wind is blowing 20-30 mph. the wind can almost double my usage.

With my OWB that I heat 2 houses with I go through close to a cord week this time of the year. Don't know what a rick or a MF10000e are.

We burn on average 16 splits per day. That's heating a 1,400 SF house in Delaware where the winters typically don't get very cold.

Just over 2 cord usually gets us through the winter. That's burning maple, red oak and gum.

I cut all my wood in 24" pieces, if there over 12 inches in diameter I split them at least once.
My OWB uses about 8 to 10 pieces per day.

If I heat my barn for the day it adds a few pieces.

Last edited:
I have a old cast upland 207 woodstove and it heats my just under 2000 sq. foot ranch house and the past 2 days and nights I used less than a half a wheel b. of oak and few pieces of crab apple tree wood. House is 78 in it now and the temp on stove top is about 400 degrees. For a old stove it does the trick.

I go through ~1/7 of 1/4 cord daily. LOL

I have racks that are 1/4 cord. I go through 1 weekly on average in Northern NJ on a hill with a 2500 sq ft standard insulation ranch.

ac

e2300 wood usage

I have a E2300 CB owb.Normal temps, 20-30's,2 healthy wheelbarrow loads of decent hardwood a day.(Red Oak,Sugar Maple)Kigh end consumption of 1/3-1/2 cord/week when it's COLD and WINDY(5-15 degrees.)I'm looking to utilize a Jotul Elg/Moose for the fringe heating months.Sometimes it seems to be overkill using the boiler when I just want to alleviate a little early morning chill in the house.:popcorn:

agree with many posters- about an overflowing wheelbarrow a day in average temp (low 25 and high 40 degrees) using assorted varieties of hard and soft wood. Add 50% if the temp doesn't reach the 30's. Heating 2400sq. ft with 25' ceilings and 36 windows- needless to say my insulation factor is very not good!

Latest posts

Back