how old are you and chainsaw experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
achile

achile

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi, just want to know how old are you and how much year of experience do you have with a chainsaw

Me

I'm 24 year's old and i Have 5 years of exeperience using a chainsaw

Achile

chainsawworld

chainsawworld

ArboristSite Guru
this should be a good tread. lots of information out there.
myself, i started cutting firewood at 13, felling at 14,climbing at 16. obtained education in high angle work and moved on to obtain education in logging and clearing. educated in portions of silviculture, learning to cruise and estimate standing timber value and forest management. educated in scaling and grade. became the instructor for Woods And Chainsaw Safety.
i test just about everything to do with chainsaws for homeowners,loggers,arborists and lumberjacks.
i collect,buy, sell and trade antique,new,used and exotic chainsaws and related STUFF.
i am sure i will remember more but it is late(heck, i'm 41).
marty

John in MA

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Age is on a need to know basis :) , but I've only been messing around with chainsaws for a few years. Still learning and now trying to help others on this board.

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
44 last spring. First hands on a chain saw would be using an old Homelite 17, back in 1973.

Big limb had come down out of a huge old oak tree in the yard, was laying on the house, so I rigged up some silly harness with rope, and hacked her down with my dad's old Homelite gear drive. that saw was already 20 years out fo date, then...what in the heck was I doing up in a tree with a saw durn near as big as I was!

I've done a little bit of everything in the woods (upper midwest) since then. Must be two-stroke poisoning.

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Jees, Doug, did looking at all those bums mess up yo head??

53, 30 yrs playing with noisy toys...

..figgered out which end to hold a while back....

Sorry that 2149 is so slow....

kev

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm 25, I've been around chainsaws since I was about 5. Packing gas and bar oil to dad, then finally I was big enough to pack the saw (a big OLD Homelite) while it wasn't running.
I started helping cut firewood when I was 13 with a smaller saw (XL-12) mainly cutting the limbs up and leaving the trunk for dad and his big gear drive model.
When I turned 18 I worked for KY fish and wildlife for a while doing storm cleanup on one of their wildlife management areas, mainly trees that were blown over into others and tangled. Until just recently I only did the most basic routine maintenace to saws, just things that you should do in everyday use. Since I started coming to this site I have tackled a few more in depth projects and think about a lot more. :D

dozerdan

dozerdan

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have had a saw or two in my hands since I was about 12 years old.I have dropped a few trees,ran skidder for a few days,worked on a landing a while.
Modified my first air cooled engine in 1970,worked a few years in the automotive field.I have been a self employed excavator for over ten years but the doc told me to stay off the equipment.I now have nerve damage in my neck and arms from getting jarred around,so it looks like I am into saws full time.
Please always wear the proper protection for your job and if it vibrates,dont use it,give it to your wife.
If the age thing really matters to you,I will be 49 to soon.

Dennis
I am ready to race that nice ford truck that you have.I am sure that I can slide across the top of the mud when you are still spinning in it.Once we start the race,all you will see is a small yellow streak,way out in front of you.An yes it is piped.
Later
Dan

http://www.sunlink.net/~dozerdan/bug.jpg