How old should a boy be to learn to run a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was around 12-15 not sure. We burned slabwood and my dad had a Poulan 25 and a Homelite XL we used to cut it into burnable lengths. I was splitting wood with a maul when I was 10 or so. Depends on the kid but teaching them basic safety when they're younger seems fine and under proper supervision a 10-13 should be able to safely use a smaller trim style saw. Being a good example to follow is the most important thing you can do. Use your head and your safety gear.

Last edited:
Mines 19 months and when he's in the garage he points to my saws. Him and mom were watching me cut a little wood for the smoker. So I got him his own.

As long as the kid has hearing protection then dad should hold the handle and the kid can run the rear grip and throttle to get a feel for it. I believe that would be the safest all around choice.

learning to run a saw can start at any age. the key here is to learn to run the saw before actually doing so.

as for the age to actually start to run a saw well depends like was said. biggest thing is are the physically able and coordination and yadda, yadda, yadda.

like a man told me the other day. " be carefull' she'll cut ya'!"

:givebeer:

Last edited:
Depends on the kid, I was around 10 or 12...... my older brother was 38

:laugh: :cheers:

My little girl got the Stihl toy chainsaw when she was two (4 months shy of three) she loved it. I was playing with it one day in the living room and had it running and grabbing the bar to see how hard it would be to stop the little ball chain (yeah I got it bad :laugh:) and my little girl got real upset and started crying to my wife that daddy was gonna cut himself with her chainsaw. :( :blush:

Just goes to show their never to young to learn and you always have to pay attention to what you're doing and set a good example. I have never forgot it since and refuse to even start a saw around her without at least my helmet on so "daddy can be safe"...... the plastic saw is also treated with the utmost respect you would give any saw that will tear your leg off. ;)

Remember they are watching, always set a good example. :cheers:

Well what can i say I'm 16 and i start at 15 with a poulan that i found in the trash and there was no ring so i buy a ring and get her running and now I'm with a bigger toy 357xp that i buy working in a farm ... i always remember to want a saw since i was 10 maybe but my father never want to. good luck with your kid!! whatever you do teach him the safety measure and kickback situation.

:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :monkey:

I really start cutting wood around 7 to 15 with a buck saw like maybe a cord per year :jawdrop: depend on the year not much than a cord .

:chainsaw: and by the way my father buy me an old 32inches buck saw for 2 dollar without a blade it take me 2 month to find this pretty rare blade and its cut surprisingly fast

Last edited:
i started when i was 14 with a stihl 034 av cuttin up after that big october storm blew through Buffalo on opening day of deer archery season. so i said probably start around 10-12 with a small er saw with a low kickback chain.:greenchainsaw:

i was 10 when i ran my uncles homelite xl . i have learned alot since than. Now this generation " no offennse" wants thngs to be as safe as pssible so give the kid a wildthing!!!

I was around 13or14 cousin let me use his homelite xl.I just put an 017 together to teach my 10 year old son about saws. Had him cutting some small branches.:clap:

when i was 14 my dad let me try his 028 and i have been addicted since then :p
i was 15 when i got my first saw and im still 16:)

Last edited:
I ran one at 11 a Remington :laugh: It was five years old barely ran
and was good practice. I would think if the child is trustworthy at 12
he could run it supervised. I made some kid mistakes and my teachers
were not pro's so I am lucky to have all my limbs but I was strong and
I knew if that chain made contact with me , it would be bad. It depends
on the kid for sure I was 11 when I got my first shotgun 20 gauge savage
pump. I would think I was competent if a fire arm was allowed a saw is
just as deadly.

Back